Windows 10: Certain file types (.ogg, .ogx) take a full minute to rename or delete

Discus and support Certain file types (.ogg, .ogx) take a full minute to rename or delete in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I've been struggling with this problem at least since September, now. I do a lot of audio work and I'm required to work with Ogg files quite a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CaptainTeo, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Certain file types (.ogg, .ogx) take a full minute to rename or delete

Hello!

I've been struggling with this problem at least since September, now. I do a lot of audio work and I'm required to work with Ogg files quite a lot, but I've had to postpone any work related to them because of this. I'm not sure exactly when it happened (I can only say somewhere between July 22nd and September 23rd, the last time I successfully used an Ogg file and the day that I noticed this problem, respectively) and haven't been able to pinpoint any system changes in that time that might have caused it.

Certain file operations freeze up Windows Explorer when I use them on files with the .ogg and .ogx extensions, and only those files, as far as I can tell. Attempting to rename one causes Explorer to stop responding for a full minute before finally changing the name, and trying to delete one causes absolutely nothing to happen (Explorer doesn't even freeze) for a minute until the file is finally moved to the Recycle Bin. Restoring them from the Recycle Bin is the same as that. Making a copy (copy/paste) of the file actually works normally, even within the same folder, but then trying to rename or delete that file still takes a minute. Any other file extension works as it's supposed to and I can rename or delete them instantly, and I can even save an Ogg file with another extension (e.g. test.abc instead of test.ogg) and Windows will treat it normally, but, if I then rename it to have a .ogg extension, it'll start taking a minute to delete/rename it. Even more confusingly, if I take a file that isn't an Ogg file and give it the .ogg extension, Windows will treat it completely normally and be able to delete/rename it instantly.

The same thing happens with folders - trying to rename or delete a folder containing an Ogg-encoded file also takes a minute. This extends to files and folders made before I started having this problem.

I've tried deleting and renaming them through the command prompt and that gives the same result - cmd just doesn't do anything for a full minute before the file is finally altered, although it doesn't freeze. I have confirmed that the problem is not present in Safe Mode, but it is present during a clean boot as described in this thread: Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

I'm honestly stumped on where to go from here. I've never seen a problem like this in all of my time using Windows since 95 and haven't been able to find any support threads anywhere with this particular problem - the closest that I've found is people having similar problems with all files, not just a specific file extension. I'd really appreciate any suggestions on what to do.

Windows 10 version: 1903 (OS Build 18362.476)

:)

CaptainTeo, Nov 21, 2019
  2. Sawyer7 Win User

Unable to move .ogg files

After updating Windows 10, whenever I try to do anything to any file with a .ogg, .oga, or .ogx extension (and possibly more things related to .ogg I haven't tried yet), Windows Explorer just stalls forever. I can't open them to be played in VLC, move them
    anywhere, or even delete them. Renaming them takes about a minute. All other files work fine, and these same files work fine if I just rename them to .mp3, so the files aren't the issue. I really don't know what the issue is, besides something to do with Windows.

I am running Windows 10 Home Insider Preview on build 1809.1000, although I don't really see how that would cause the issue. Could something with windows explorer be corrupted to mess with those 3 types of files?

Sawyer7, Nov 21, 2019
  3. Sawyer7 Win User
    Unable to move .ogg files

It only lists Windows Explorer as a lock, and if I try to run it it says it successfully unlocked however it doesn't fix it.

Strangely though, .ogx files work now, although .oga and .ogg files are still broken.

Sawyer7, Nov 21, 2019
  4. Certain file types (.ogg, .ogx) take a full minute to rename or delete

Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to delete them, hangs at 0% when trying to move them

I'm currently facing a problem in Windows 10 where any files with the extension .ogg completely lock up in Explorer. This only started recently, and I was able to handle these files completely normally until
    then. If I try to rename them, Explorer freezes and I have to restart it. If I try to delete them (either moving them to Recycle Bin or with the Permanently Delete option), nothing happens whatsoever. Oddly, I can make a copy of the file in the same
    folder or any other folder, but I can't move the file - that just brings up the move dialogue, which hangs on 0% until I restart Explorer. Windows can open the file just fine, however - double-clicking on it opens it in the default program that I
    have set for Ogg files and plays them normally.

If I save an Ogg file with any other extension (test.abc or test.mp3 instead of test.ogg, for example), Explorer handles it completely normally and can rename or delete it. If I then change that name to have
    the .ogg extension, Windows starts handling it as described, ignoring or freezing when I try to do anything to it. Conversely, if I take a file that isn't an Ogg file (such as an image file that was saved as test.png), I can rename it to test.ogg
    and Windows actually will be able to rename or delete it, which has me even more confused. While testing this, I also found that Ogg files saved as [file].ogx also lock up in the same way, despite not being saved as [file].ogg.

The same thing happens with folders - I can't delete or rename a folder that contains Ogg-encoded files with the .ogg extension. This extends to files and folders created before I started having this problem,
    not just new ones that I've made during this time.

I don't get any error messages from this, including the "file cannot be found" one that people with similar problems mention.

I've never come across a problem like this in all of my time using any version of Windows. It started a few weeks ago when I was trying to render an Ogg version of a collection of Wav files for some audio work,
    made a mistake with one of them (I just had the wrong part of the audio selected when I exported it - nothing that should cause system-wide problems like this) and tried to delete it to redo it, and found that I couldn't. I've currently had to postpone the
    work that I'm doing until I can get this fixed, and have entire folders sitting in the work directory that I currently can't use or remove because of it. I have previously worked with Ogg files on this PC and installation of Windows before without problems,
    so this is something that's come up recently, but I can't think of any changes that I could have made that might have caused this. I've tried searching on and off for the last few weeks for information on how to fix it, but haven't been able to find anything
    that's relevant to this specific case. If I can get some help to fix this, I'd really appreciate it.

Specs:

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (latest updates installed on 11th October 2019)

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX AM4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz

RAM: 32 GB DDR4

GPU: NVidia GeForce 1660 Ti 6 GB

Please let me know if you need any other information.

CaptainTeo, Nov 21, 2019
Thema:

Certain file types (.ogg, .ogx) take a full minute to rename or delete

1. Certain file types (.ogg, .ogx) take a full minute to rename or delete - Similar Threads - Certain file types

2. Deleting, moving or renaming certain files either takes way too long or crashes file manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting, moving or renaming certain files either takes way too long or crashes file manager: I've been having this issue for months now, and I still don't know how to fix it. Sometimes I have to even use aps like FileASSASSIN to remove some files, due to it crashing all the time.Sometimes it just doesn't show or do anything when I do something with my files, or the...
  3. Deleting, moving or renaming certain files either takes way too long or crashes file manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting, moving or renaming certain files either takes way too long or crashes file manager: I've been having this issue for months now, and I still don't know how to fix it. Sometimes I have to even use aps like FileASSASSIN to remove some files, due to it crashing all the time.Sometimes it just doesn't show or do anything when I do something with my files, or the...
  4. Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files in Windows 10: Trying to rename results in file explorer crashing whilst moving or deleting is just perma stuck at 0%. File Explorer is stuck at "Cancelling" on move operations when i try to cancel it. I have tried everything that has been posted about this issue before and nothing works. I...
  5. Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files in Windows 10: Trying to rename results in file explorer crashing whilst moving or deleting is just perma stuck at 0%. File Explorer is stuck at "Cancelling" on move operations when i try to cancel it. I have tried everything that has been posted about this issue before and nothing works. I...
  6. Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files.: Trying to rename results in file explorer crashing whilst moving or deleting is just perma stuck at 0%. File Explorer is stuck at "Cancelling" on move operations. I have tried everything that has been posted about this issue before and nothing works. I tried:- Uninstalling...
  8. .ogg rename taking forever

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .ogg rename taking forever: Whenever I try to rename a .ogg file, it takes about a full minute until I can rename it. I have no idea why this has happened can someone tell me why and how to fix it? submitted by /u/lvCieje [link] [comments]...
  9. ogg file

ogg file: I can't delete ogg file which is a tranferred file from my phone to my pc. The name of the file is hangouts_message and hangouts_incoming_call. I would love your generous response : God Bless...
  10. cannot delete .ogg files

cannot delete .ogg files: Hi I'm running into a problem where I cant seem to delete or move any of my .ogg files. if theres a way to do it, I would love to hear it so that I can get rid of them. Thanks!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant delete ogg