Windows 10: Certain games hang after computer is on after a while

Discus and support Certain games hang after computer is on after a while in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I have been trying to figure out this issue with my computer for about a month now. What happens is I first boot it up and it works fine and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Lilesong, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Lilesong Win User

Certain games hang after computer is on after a while

So I have been trying to figure out this issue with my computer for about a month now. What happens is I first boot it up and it works fine and beautifully, but anywhere from 22 minutes to 29 hours after booting the computer games will start to start up MUCH slower and I will usually be greeted with the game not responding and a black screen. This is also very instant as well, there is no build up to it or warnings, it just happens. One example that I have been using to test this issue is 100% Orange Juice which will initially start up in about 5 seconds, but afterwards takes 45 seconds. Monster Hunter world is another where it will take 3 minutes to start up. The weirdest part however is after it starts running again the game runs 100% fine, and I can also tab out and do whatever i want in this time.

If I forcefully close the game during this period I will get the error 1002 Application Hang in the event viewer. So to try to debug I got a program called WhatIsHang to test the games I attached the results of one game in a text file beneath. I want to believe this is a issue with windows, but i'm not really sure at this point. The weirdest part is this doesn't even occur with all games and I can't find a pattern to what games it does occur with. I have also tried doing a clean install of windows, but this doesn't seem to fix the issue in the slightest. A warm reboot will also always fix this issue temporarily.

According to the results I have reason to believe ntdll.dll is the culprit, but I would need help figuring out why.

So far I have tested these games:

• Affected

• Steam Itself

• Touhou 17

• 100% Orange Juice

• Monster Hunter World

• Minecraft

• Hollow Song of Birds

• Jigoku Kisetsukan

• A Hat in Time

• Yakuza Kiwami 2

• Death End Re;Quest

• Htol#NiQ

• Skullgirls

• Acceleration of Suguri 2

• Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

• Unaffected

• Phantasy Star Online 2 I have no clue why this one works honestly, it is the second biggest game on this list

• Fantastic Danmaku Festival

• Fantastic Danmaku Festival Part 2

• Eden*

• Doki Doki Literature Club

• Corpse Party

• Speklunky

• Hollow Knight

• At Home Alone

• Cuphead

Here are my specs:

Windows 10 Home 64 bit Version 2004 OS Build 19041.264

Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming PRO Carbon AC LGA1151

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700KFGPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super

RAM: Corsair LPX 32GB 2x16GB 3200MHz C16 DDR4 CMK32GX4M2B3200C16

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold

WhatIsHang text file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ug49F91eGEU8IhhX36UZK-vB5jDhGfE8/view?usp=sharing

:)

Lilesong, Jun 8, 2020
  2. Nitrome Win User

Computer hangs up/freezes when running certain apps

Hello

A few weeks ago my computer started completely freezing. When those freezes occur the computer is totally unresponsive and requires a reboot, however they only happen when running certain programs.

Windows Version number : 1903
    When does it happen?
    • Playing youtube videos (takes a few minutes to freeze on average)
    • Starting certain games (freezes on startup)
    • Answering discord calls
    And i discover new sources all the time so i doubt this is a complete list.

What did i try so far?
    • Updating the drivers (didn't try to update the BIOS yet but reset it to default)
    • Sfc / chkdsk
    • OCCT (both CPU and GPU test, neither overheated/froze the computer)
    • memtest x86 (4 passes 6 hours, no errors)
    • Swapping GPU (RX-480)

By this point i was a bit lost so i tried using windows event viewer to no avail.

As a last attempt i tried to install windows on a new harddrive but the computer froze during installation.

I'm completely lost and don't know whether my hardware is failing or if it's some kind of software issue.

Nitrome, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Game Bar freezes Computer

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better please provide us more information.

• What is the model number of the computer?

• Which game are you trying to play?
    • Try playing other games and check what the status is.
    Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1

I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall the display driver and check. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for display adapter and click on it to expand.

• Right click on the device and click on
      uninstall

• Once you are done uninstalling the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the generic display driver.
    If this doesn’t help to fix the issue. I suggest you to update the display driver. Skip step3 from the above steps and right click on the
    device and click on update.

Method 2.

If the above method did not help to fix the issue, I would suggest you to
    go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest display adapter driver. Visit the below link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...for-5th-generation-intel-core-processors.html

Method 3.

For the sound issue try the below steps.

Step 1.

I suggest you to uninstall/reinstall the sound adapter driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager

• Now click on Sound, video and game controllers
      to expand, right click on the device and click on uninstall.

• Once you are done installing the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the sound adapter driver.
    If the issue still persist, try the below steps.

Step 2.

I suggest you to update the audio driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager
    • Now click on Sound, video and game controllers and right click on it and
      update the software.
    Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Certain games hang after computer is on after a while

Windows 10 Search hangs

Hi,

To isolate your issue, please provide us the following information:

• Were there any changes made on your computer before this issue came up?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    Furthermore, we suggest that you follow the steps provided by Parth P Patel.

Let us know how it goes.

Melowin Mar, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

Certain games hang after computer is on after a while

1. Certain games hang after computer is on after a while - Similar Threads - Certain games hang

2. cs2 hangs after a while

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cs2 hangs after a while: cs2 hangs after a while https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cs2-hangs-after-a-while/72e13e9c-98ba-485a-972e-ac0c4d747633
  3. cs2 hangs after a while

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cs2 hangs after a while: cs2 hangs after a while https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cs2-hangs-after-a-while/72e13e9c-98ba-485a-972e-ac0c4d747633
  4. Computer BSoDs while playing certain games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer BSoDs while playing certain games.: For a couple of weeks now, I've been getting BSoDs while playing some games and I can't seem to figure it out on my own. I have tried a couple of things to try and fix the issue but with no success, the reason for crashing has changed though, so either I fixed one issue, or...
  5. Computer BSoDs while playing certain games.

Computer BSoDs while playing certain games.: For a couple of weeks now, I've been getting BSoDs while playing some games and I can't seem to figure it out on my own. I have tried a couple of things to try and fix the issue but with no success, the reason for crashing has changed though, so either I fixed one issue, or...
  6. Computer BSoDs while playing certain games.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer fully freezes while I play certain games and only on certain games.

Computer fully freezes while I play certain games and only on certain games.: My computer freezes when I play certain games and these games aren't heavy on the CPU or the GPU. The temperature of both of them is always normal while I play these games as they aren't demanding at all. For example one of the games that the crashes occur on is The Escapists...
  8. BSOD after playing certain games for a while

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after playing certain games for a while: I've been having blue screens recently after playing certain games DBZ Kakarot and Prison Architect so far have given me blue screens consistently and I can't seem to fix it. I have stress tested every single component on my computer in various ways, but it only happens when...
  9. After playing certain games, the computer is laggy.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After playing certain games, the computer is laggy.: Hi, After playing certain games, Kerbal Space Program and Transport Fever specifically, my laptop computer is very laggy and slow to respond. The problem only occurs after I exit the game. Opening File Explorer is rather quick but nothing is displayed. Pressing...
  10. Computer Crashing/Hanging In Certain games with Buzzing noise

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Crashing/Hanging In Certain games with Buzzing noise: My computer has been freezing and making a buzzing noise through my headphones for a good time now.I've tried scanning for malaware and viruses, and no luck,my computer is still freezing in some games.Can some one please help me for once,i've been posting everywhere and no...