Windows 10: Certain keys in text editors such as Word open apps

Discus and support Certain keys in text editors such as Word open apps in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When using a text editor such as Word certain keys eg "}" and "]" also open apps, which is driving me nuts. Using windows 11... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by dzseti, Sep 9, 2022.

1. dzseti Win User

Certain keys in text editors such as Word open apps

When using a text editor such as Word certain keys eg "}" and "]" also open apps, which is driving me nuts. Using windows 11

:)

dzseti, Sep 9, 2022
  2. ct5098 Win User

Text Editor on Webpage

I'm creating a website that requires an advanced text editor, similar to the word processor in Google docs. I'm planning on creating the editor from scratch, but I'm not sure what language to use. I was thinking of using a Java applet, but I'm open to other suggestions. Some of the features that are required are highlighting and drawing (such as Microsoft Paint). Any suggestions would be helpful.

ct5098, Sep 9, 2022
  3. mngerhold Win User
    Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

Certain keys in text editors such as Word open apps [​IMG]

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Sep 9, 2022
  4. Certain keys in text editors such as Word open apps

Text editor or Word or any text software for the X3-02?

I have looked everywere, cant find a normal word program or text editor software/app for this phone! Does anyone know of any text software for the X3-02?

Like notepad for longer text or like Word or anything?

Thanks

Robbo35---01, Sep 9, 2022
Thema:

Certain keys in text editors such as Word open apps

1. Certain keys in text editors such as Word open apps - Similar Threads - Certain keys text

2. Certain keys in text editors such as Word open apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certain keys in text editors such as Word open apps: When using a text editor such as Word certain keys eg "}" and "]" also open apps, which is driving me nuts. Using windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-keys-in-text-editors-such-as-word-open/d91d6f8d-73ab-4f15-b350-f98f75eeb8e4
  3. Text on certain apps super small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text on certain apps super small: Hi! I have been running into issues with certain apps on my Asus laptop from day 1. I noticed that certain text in certain apps is very small.When I got the laptop, it was running Windows 10 and now I am running Windows 11 - same issue persists.I have scaling set to 250%...
  4. Text on certain apps super small

Text on certain apps super small: Hi! I have been running into issues with certain apps on my Asus laptop from day 1. I noticed that certain text in certain apps is very small.When I got the laptop, it was running Windows 10 and now I am running Windows 11 - same issue persists.I have scaling set to 250%...
  5. Cannot Open Certain Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Open Certain Apps: Hi,When I proceed to open the Minecraft launcher on my Windows 10 laptop I am met with an error code stating: Minecraft Launcher is currently not available in your account. Make sure you are signed in to the Microsoft Store and try again. Here's the error code, in case you...
  6. Word Editor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word Editor: Editor seems to have gone through a tedious "upgrade" and I have lost all my previous settings. I've tried multiple times to change them and stop the grammar check highlighting certain things but they don't save. Can anyone advise? Thank you...
  7. Text editors fail to open

in Windows 10 Support
    Text editors fail to open: I use text editors "Text Maker" and "Jarte". When I initially open either of them the page comes up blank. Shortly I get an error message stating that the program is not responding and it needs to be reported to Microsoft. Then I close that window and reopen the program...
  8. Set Kate Text editor as default app

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Set Kate Text editor as default app: I installed text editor kate using the windows 10 store. Kate does not show in the options to set default app for text files, I can't go to the location to manually set it because windows is blocking me from accessing windows store app folder Windowsapp. How can I access the...
  9. Is there an app that can auto replace certain words with text?

Is there an app that can auto replace certain words with text?: One of the features that I liked in MacOS is that you can set hotkeys, like for example if you would type certain text (ie. ftw) it can replace it with text that you specify (ie. For the win) I tried an app called Autohotkey but it's too complicated to setup. Is there an...
  10. Can't edit text in Video Editor App

Can't edit text in Video Editor App: Can't edit or add text in any Video frame or title card. I have tried following steps: Upgrading Windows to latest build Repairing the Photos App Re-installing the Photos App None of the above steps worked for me. Please let me know if anyone has a solution....