Windows 10: Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch

Discus and support Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; For whatever reason, some of my old Steam games refuse to run. Currently this counts Bioshock Infinite Tomb Raider (2013) Deus Ex: Human Revolution... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by SteelRodent, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch

For whatever reason, some of my old Steam games refuse to run. Currently this counts

• Bioshock Infinite
    • Tomb Raider (2013)
    • Deus Ex: Human Revolution

All of them start to run and then immediately stop and disappear from memory. Tomb Raider loads its launcher, but it's the same issue when I try to run the actual game - starts to load and then vanishes. I bought Bioshock Infinite on GoG to play it and that version runs just fine - and AFAIK the only difference to the steam version is that SteamAuth is removed.

Tried running steam and these games in admin mode, switching the games themselves to Win7 and 8 compatibility, updating graphics drivers, running sfc and chkdsk, disabling the antivirus and firewall, but nothing helps.

Other games on steam I've tried to play run just fine - including older games. Dishonored, Dishonored 2, FS19, ATS/ETS2, and a few others all run without any issues, so at least by deduction it shouldn't be steam itself that is the problem. Sims 4 on Origin and the few Uplay games I've tried also run with no issues.

Tried installing Bioshock Infinite from Steam again tonight just to see if I can get it to work (since it's small and downloads fast), but it still refuses to run. Only this time it gave me an error when I first tried to launch it (where previously I never got any errors when trying to run these games):
    Faulting application name: BioShockInfinite.exe, version: 1.1.25.5165, time stamp: 0x53263b17
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x01b0340c
    Faulting process ID: 0x2664
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d6021e5067c92c
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32\BioShockInfinite.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report ID: 974835cd-9ac1-4e3a-9f81-38a81cbc3065
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Since 0xc0000005 apparently means an access violation (though I can't decipher what it violated), I thought maybe it doesn't like running on the M.2 (although the GoG version didn't mind), so I moved it to my D-drive (4 TB platter). It still won't run from there and now it doesn't give me an error, so I have even less to go on.

Built this system in mid-February and according to the MSI download site there are no newer drivers for the motherboard yet, so I've only been able to update the graphics and mouse drivers, which hasn't helped anything.

I'm not sure what else to try to fix this when everything everyone says should fix it doesn't make any difference. Since it's basically a brand new system it's not like there's any longterm build-up of files or registry entries and even then I've always run disk cleanup monthly to purge all the temp folders etc.

:)

SteelRodent, Mar 25, 2020
  2. Frabnkhs Win User

Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch

I installed the Steam version of Bioshock Infinite and it ran great.

Graphics are great and went as far as my first kill (a slicer), saved the game, exited completely and then opened my save

All seems to work okay

If the "Afterburner" is a overclocking program, games can be finicky

Glad you figured out what was wrong...

BTW.... Thanks for the PC Gaming Wiki tip

Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch [​IMG]

Frabnkhs, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch

Think I've found a solution. Or a workaround rather.

Afterburner's own help tooltips suggest disabling its IO hooks to get around games and anticheat detecting it, but apparently this doesn't work in this case. Don't know if it works with other games, but it definitely doesn't work with Infinite.

However, Afterburner uses Riva Statistics Tuner for stuff like its OSD, screen capture, and a few other things, and I have discovered before that this OSD can conflict with things like the Geforce Experience overlay (which I normally just turn off because it doesn't do anything I need), so I decided to look at Riva.

Riva has the option to make separate profiles for different games, again to get around it being detected by rigid games. Creating a profile is easy, just locate the game .exe, and then you can lower/disable Riva features seperately for each profile.
    So I added Infinite, dropped Riva features until the game would run, and bingo, problem solved (well, the game will run with Afterburner, but the OSD won't work).

I have used Afterburner for close to 10 years and have never had to make exclusions for specific games before. Also means I have no idea if Riva will switch profiles automatically like iCUE does, but I assume it won't (only two clicks to do it manually though). I know Win10 does graphics differently than 7, but I don't get why Riva's presence is suddenly a problem with certain games and not others, especially when they use the same DRM, when the same games worked fine on 7 with Riva enabled.

For those unaware (and sorry if this sounds like an ad): MSI Afterburner is a mix between a monitoring and overclocking tool for graphics cards. It's free to download from Guru3D - and I believe still distributed with MSI graphics cards - and should work with any dedicated GPU (as in it will not work with GPUs like the integrated Intel HD in i-series CPUs). The monitoring tool is in itself amazing for optimizing graphics and performance in games, but it will also monitor CPU load and temperatures, and if supported, voltage levels. And like I said before, the fans on my overclocked cards can't keep up without Afterburner.

@Sygnus : I know Afterburner isn't required per se, but I legit cannot get the card to cool correctly without it, and I have no clue what the card actually does when Afterburner isn't running (like I don't know whether it overclocks or not or why the fans don't kick in).

4. Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch

For whatever reason, some of my old Steam games refuse to run. Currently this counts

• Bioshock Infinite
    • Tomb Raider (2013)
    • Deus Ex: Human Revolution

All of them start to run and then immediately stop and disappear from memory. Tomb Raider loads its launcher, but it's the same issue when I try to run the actual game - starts to load and then vanishes. I bought Bioshock Infinite on GoG to play it and that version runs just fine - and AFAIK the only difference to the steam version is that SteamAuth is removed.

Tried running steam and these games in admin mode, switching the games themselves to Win7 and 8 compatibility, updating graphics drivers, running sfc and chkdsk, disabling the antivirus and firewall, but nothing helps.

Other games on steam I've tried to play run just fine - including older games. Dishonored, Dishonored 2, FS19, ATS/ETS2, and a few others all run without any issues, so at least by deduction it shouldn't be steam itself that is the problem. Sims 4 on Origin and the few Uplay games I've tried also run with no issues.

Tried installing Bioshock Infinite from Steam again tonight just to see if I can get it to work (since it's small and downloads fast), but it still refuses to run. Only this time it gave me an error when I first tried to launch it (where previously I never got any errors when trying to run these games):
    Faulting application name: BioShockInfinite.exe, version: 1.1.25.5165, time stamp: 0x53263b17
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x01b0340c
    Faulting process ID: 0x2664
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d6021e5067c92c
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32\BioShockInfinite.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report ID: 974835cd-9ac1-4e3a-9f81-38a81cbc3065
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Since 0xc0000005 apparently means an access violation (though I can't decipher what it violated), I thought maybe it doesn't like running on the M.2 (although the GoG version didn't mind), so I moved it to my D-drive (4 TB platter). It still won't run from there and now it doesn't give me an error, so I have even less to go on.

Built this system in mid-February and according to the MSI download site there are no newer drivers for the motherboard yet, so I've only been able to update the graphics and mouse drivers, which hasn't helped anything.

I'm not sure what else to try to fix this when everything everyone says should fix it doesn't make any difference. Since it's basically a brand new system it's not like there's any longterm build-up of files or registry entries and even then I've always run disk cleanup monthly to purge all the temp folders etc.

Thema:

1. Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch - Similar Threads - Certain old Steam

2. certain apps video games specifically won't launch or will crash immediately, and won't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    certain apps video games specifically won't launch or will crash immediately, and won't...: like the title says, certain apps, especially video games will either not launch, or will crash immediately. the apps i tried to launch are: Honkai Star Rail, Horizon Zero Dawn, Baldur's Gate 3, and Lethal Company. i have never had this problem before and my PC is rather...
  3. certain apps video games specifically won't launch or will crash immediately, and won't...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    certain apps video games specifically won't launch or will crash immediately, and won't...: like the title says, certain apps, especially video games will either not launch, or will crash immediately. the apps i tried to launch are: Honkai Star Rail, Horizon Zero Dawn, Baldur's Gate 3, and Lethal Company. i have never had this problem before and my PC is rather...
  4. Several games crashing immediately on launch.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Several games crashing immediately on launch.: 1. I downloaded the Minecraft Launcher from the Microsoft Store onto my new PC, however whenever I open it, I can see the launcher update popup for a split second, and then it instantly crashes.2. I have the same issue with Fortnite, Valorant, and Krunker Client. They all...
  5. Several games crashing immediately on launch.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several games crashing immediately on launch.: 1. I downloaded the Minecraft Launcher from the Microsoft Store onto my new PC, however whenever I open it, I can see the launcher update popup for a split second, and then it instantly crashes.2. I have the same issue with Fortnite, Valorant, and Krunker Client. They all...
  6. Older Steam game CTD on launch due to CPU having too many cores.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Older Steam game CTD on launch due to CPU having too many cores.: I'm trying to get Child of Light to run without having to limit my cores through MSCONFIG.EXE. The game will simply CTD upon launch if there are more than 16 logical cores available. Is there a way to set processor affinity for the game before it launches?...
  7. Launch certain browsers and computer immediately reboots

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Launch certain browsers and computer immediately reboots: So.. running W10 on 2004. The strangest thing has started to happened. When ever I try to launch Chrome, Internet Explorer or Edge, my computer immediately will reboot. No blue screen no warning. Im always running Hyper-V and when I try to launch those browsers in one of my...
  8. Some steam games will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some steam games will not launch: When I launch some games, they do not open with video; the audio plays but the video is just flashing static that looks like my screen is going to crash. This doesn't happen with every game, just some of them. I don't think it's to do with graphics settings because it can run...
  9. Steam games not launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam games not launching: I decided to come back to civ 5, and when I press play, all that happens is a small box saying "checking for updates" comes up for a brief moment, followed by another box saying "Searching for steam game updates" again for a brief moment. Nothing happens after. This also...
  10. Steam games not launching on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam games not launching on Windows 10: Hi all, I'm having a problem when I try to launch Steam games, as whatever game I try to launch doesn't actually launch. A message comes up about the game "preparing to launch" but then nothing after that happens. Some games give me an error saying Steam is not running at...