Windows 10: Certain Programes Make Windows 10 Shutdown Time Longer

Discus and support Certain Programes Make Windows 10 Shutdown Time Longer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This is my first post and question so if it is not in the correct topic say to me and I'll try to move this to the right one. My problem is about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by HOT, May 3, 2016.

1. HOT
    HOT Win User

Certain Programes Make Windows 10 Shutdown Time Longer

This is my first post and question so if it is not in the correct topic say to me and I'll try to move this to the right one.

My problem is about driver, application and probably compability issues that's why I put this one in the genereal topic.

I have a gaming PC which I've assembled it about a year ago. It was running smooth and nice. Because of my job and training at my job I couldn't use my PC like 3 months. I came back and started to use it at the middle of April. Until the last 10 days It was running fine and starts up so fast(When I open my monitor PC was already in the desktop.), also shuts down so fast (approx. 4 seconds).

But for some reason those time spans started to be longer. For example now when I press the shut down button PC shuts itself down at approx. 8-9 seconds and when I startup the PC and monitor when the monitor opens Windows would still be loading unlike the past. Because there are so many updates, I couldn't figure out if it was an application, driver issue or Windows Update issue. So I decided to clean install the OS again to see what is the reason. And after I installed Windows 10 again first without any driver and application I tried to startup and shutdown the PC and there were no problems, time spans were good. Also from BIOS I activated Fast Boot to make startup times shorter.

Then I started to install drivers and applications that I use one by one. Later I realized that certain applications and drivers make the OS shuts down slower and making the time longer. For example Geforce Experience, Killer Network Manager, ESET Smart Security makes shutdown time from 4 to 8 seconds. It doesn't matter how many of them are installed. As long as there are one of them then the shut down time becomes 8 seconds. I tried to delete them and then the shut down time decreased to 4 seconds again. I can't delete the applications or drivers because two of them are mandatory drivers for my PC. But when I install them they make my PC shutdown slower.

I've never used Fast Startup in the power options because when it's active I get an error from BIOS "D4" or "04" so I've used my PC that setting closed all the time. Also when I was looking up for this issue I've found some tips about how to make Windows 10 shutdown faster. I tried some tips like from the regedit tweaking the timeout registries. I've decreased them to 1000 but nothing's changed

The main problem for me is it wasn't like this. At past all of them were installed and my PC were starting up, shutting down fast. But now they are longer and I know it's not that much of a difference but I actually want to know why it is like this.

I hope you could help me

Thanks.

:)

2. Kurt[S] Win User

Task Scheduler - Shutdown and stay off during certain hours

I understand how to use Task Scheduler in Windows 10 to shutdown the PC at a certain time. I would like to keep the PC off during certain hours (overnight) - to 'encourage' my son to sleep. It seems like Task Scheduler will only shutdown the PC at, say
    11:00pm, but can't repeat the shutdown if the PC is simply turned on again at 11:05pm.

Is there a way (script?) to have the PC continually check the real time clock and force a shutdown anytime the OS recognizes that time is within a certain
    range?

I'm pretty rusty at script coding, so examples would be helpful and greatly appreciated!

Kurt[S], May 3, 2016
  3. Certain Programs wont open at certain times.

Hi Emerson,

This issue with your programs in Windows 10 could have happened due to the corrupted user profile. We suggest that you try

creating a new user profile
    on your Windows 10 and see if the issue still occurs.

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Anthony Gal, May 3, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

Quick and dirty opinion - as used you have more and more things that have to be written to disc before it shuts down, and with fast startup, its not really shutting down either, its hibernating, with the kernel and loaded drivers having being written to disc, I'm not going to elaborate more on this, there are plenty of threads on that and how that works"

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I've found on my current main rig my shutdown times vary widely, to the point I just initiate shutdown and go about my business and check it later to power off.

Other option IMO is kill fast startup, and you should then have a more consistent shutdown time as it no longer has to write the current state to disc.

RWOne, May 3, 2016
  5. HOT
    HOT Win User
    I know how fast startup works but what I wanted to say there is that I haven't used it at all so it can't be the reason of my PC's shut down and startup time differences.

Thema:

1. Certain Programes Make Windows 10 Shutdown Time Longer - Similar Threads - Certain Programes Shutdown

2. How to schedule automatic shutdown at a certain time in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to schedule automatic shutdown at a certain time in Windows 11: Hello,I have windows 11 and sometime my husband forgets to shutdown, is there a way to set computer to shutdown at 9PM every evening?Thank you...
  3. How to schedule automatic shutdown at a certain time in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to schedule automatic shutdown at a certain time in Windows 11: Hello,I have windows 11 and sometime my husband forgets to shutdown, is there a way to set computer to shutdown at 9PM every evening?Thank you...
  4. Restrict access to programs until certain time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restrict access to programs until certain time: Greetings, Is there a way to restrict access to programs for myself, the administrator, until certain time? I want to restrict some programs until afternoon, so I can only be allowed to use programs for college for most of the day....
  5. Certain programs make my computer act as if certain keys are pressed down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Certain programs make my computer act as if certain keys are pressed down: Hello, Recently, I've been having a very strange issue: while running certain programs, my computer suddenly begins to act as if certain keys on my keyboard are being pressed. In the beginning, it acted as though the CTRL key was pressed ex: pressing "w" executes the "CTRL...
  6. Is there a program that executes commands at certain times (in a batch file)?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a program that executes commands at certain times (in a batch file)?: Hello, everyone, I have programmed a Minecraft server and have now set the computer to go on and off to certain pages. When it is on, the start file Per Autostart opens. But to close it I need the command /stop so the server saves. But because I want everything to be...
  7. Windows not opening certain programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not opening certain programs: My computer is having an issue where there are certain programs that when I try to launch them, the hourglass icon appears next to the cursor for a second, then goes away and acts like nothing happened. It is only happening on certain programs, such as the office programs...
  8. Certain programs no longer running automatically at startup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Certain programs no longer running automatically at startup?: Has anyone noticed this recently? I have a handful of programs, none of which are related, that no longer run automatically at startup. I'm wondering if a recent update did something. submitted by /u/grizzlypass [link] [comments]...
  9. windows 10 freezing with certain programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 freezing with certain programs: Recently every time I utilize certain programs, like Realists, my laptop freezes. Windows 10 and a one year old Lenovo laptop. Also running a little slowly these days....
  10. Windows rolls back to a certain point in time after shutdown/ restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows rolls back to a certain point in time after shutdown/ restart: Windows rolls back to a certain point in time after shutdown/ restart, same doesn't happen after sign in/sign out, does this out of the blue, didn't set any rollback options. After I power up my machine and log in, all the progress I made is deleted, all of the files I...