Windows 10: Certain programs do not remember last window size/location

Discus and support Certain programs do not remember last window size/location in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've noticed this both at work, and on my home PC, both running Win10, but for the record, at home I'm Win10 Pro x64 1909 build 18363.1016, though I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RussellZoloft, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Certain programs do not remember last window size/location

I've noticed this both at work, and on my home PC, both running Win10, but for the record, at home I'm Win10 Pro x64 1909 build 18363.1016, though I have no idea what version the work PC is on. Anyone have any insight of what might cause this (upon close and restart of program), and if there is a fix?

Thanks for reading!

submitted by /u/RussellZoloft
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RussellZoloft, Sep 7, 2020

2. App/program windows open in random sizes and locations

I prefer to have my app/program windows open "maximized" but recently they've been opening at less-than-maximized sizes (and sometime locations), if I'd used them at those smaller sizes sometime in the past. This happens mostly with MS Office applications,
    especially Word and Excel, but Outlook seems to be unaffected.

I had a similar problem years ago and the solution then seemed to have something to do with clearing out a window-size cache, but I can't remember the details.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, v. 1607, and the Office 2010 Pro suite.

Suggestions?

RossLampert, Sep 7, 2020
  3. windows size and location

You really can't. Windows wasn't designed to work that way. You can fiddle around and get the window to stay where you want temporarily, but eventually the window will go somewhere else and be some other size.

That said, you can possibly find a third-party application that will do what you're wanting to do.

Actually, it's one of the features that worked up till Win7. Win7 removed the systems ability to remember the screen sizes and locations of application windows. ShellFolderFix corrected that problem, but it's no longer being developed. The list of features
    (user customization capablities mostly) that windows shed in win7, win8, and now Win10 would amaze you. All to get you that 5" phone experience on your 1000$ desktop.

My processes remember as stipulated.

Only system processess do so.

Notepad.

Wordpad.

Whatever.

DavidBaileyyz, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Ztruker Win User

Certain programs do not remember last window size/location

Get Hyper-V or RDT to remember size and location of VM window

Does it remember window size and location?

Ztruker, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Certain programs do not remember last window size/location

1. Certain programs do not remember last window size/location - Similar Threads - Certain programs remember

2. Remembering Window Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remembering Window Size: I've noticed certain "built-in" apps - the Win+Shift+S Snipping Tool, Windows Explorer are two examples - that don't remember that I like them Maximized.Most Office Programs and most software, I can right-click when it's in the bottom toolbar, select "Properties", and then...
  3. Remembering Window Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remembering Window Size: I've noticed certain "built-in" apps - the Win+Shift+S Snipping Tool, Windows Explorer are two examples - that don't remember that I like them Maximized.Most Office Programs and most software, I can right-click when it's in the bottom toolbar, select "Properties", and then...
  4. Windows not remembering position nor size since the last update!

Windows not remembering position nor size since the last update!: SO this last update introduced a bug, I think. If it's a feature it's not one I like. The subject line says it all.I am on Windows 11 Pro and it's fully updated. If you coders from MS are watching these forums please fix this issue. It's not a deal breaker but it's rather...
  5. Windows not remembering position nor size since the last update!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not remembering position nor size since the last update!: SO this last update introduced a bug, I think. If it's a feature it's not one I like. The subject line says it all.I am on Windows 11 Pro and it's fully updated. If you coders from MS are watching these forums please fix this issue. It's not a deal breaker but it's rather...
  6. Windows 11 - Applications do not remember last size/location/layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Applications do not remember last size/location/layout: Is anyone else having this issue? I have to resize/re-snap almost every application everytime I open it as it does not remember the last closed size/location like the previous versions of Windows.The only option that I could find was enabling remember window locations based...
  7. Windows 11 - Applications do not remember last size/location/layout

Windows 11 - Applications do not remember last size/location/layout: Is anyone else having this issue? I have to resize/re-snap almost every application everytime I open it as it does not remember the last closed size/location like the previous versions of Windows.The only option that I could find was enabling remember window locations based...
  8. Is there a way to make programs remember their size & location?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to make programs remember their size & location?: I'm running 4 displays but one of them isn't next to me so it's a bit of a pain when things don't go where they need to be. I keep a Chrome window & Rekordbox DJ open on my separated display. I'm using half the screen for each window, (4k portrait, 2160x1920 windows) Is...
  9. Windows 10 will not remember window location, size, or ICON sizes within windows!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 will not remember window location, size, or ICON sizes within windows!!: I have to switch to thumbnails every time I open a window if I want that window to display thumbnails permanently. I wish there was a per-window feature to control if it reverts back to some default or remains at the last setting. Why wouldn't this be built-into windows?...
  10. Remember Window Size

in Browsers and Email
    Remember Window Size: Is there no way to remember a window size with Windows 10? I remember in previous versions you could set the window size and position. When I open Chrome, generally the first session will open (usually) correctly. Sometimes I have to slide the title bar off the screen in...