Windows 10: Certain programs make my computer act as if certain keys are pressed down

Discus and support Certain programs make my computer act as if certain keys are pressed down in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, Recently, I've been having a very strange issue: while running certain programs, my computer suddenly begins to act as if certain keys on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DylanMika, Jul 10, 2020.

1. DylanMika Win User

Certain programs make my computer act as if certain keys are pressed down

Hello,

Recently, I've been having a very strange issue: while running certain programs, my computer suddenly begins to act as if certain keys on my keyboard are being pressed. In the beginning, it acted as though the CTRL key was pressed ex: pressing "w" executes the "CTRL + w" command. Now, it acts as though my "c" and "v" keys are being pressed when typing, a string of cs and vs are rapidly typed across the screen. Opening the onscreen keyboard confirms that my computer thinks that the keys are being pressed. Only restarting my pc temporarily fixes the issue. Here's what I've done to try to remedy it:

• press both CTRL keys for 15 seconds

• turn off sticky keys, toggle keys, and filter keys

• switch out my keyboard

• plug my keyboard into a different usb port

• uninstall and reinstall my keyboard drivers

• hold CTRL + Shift for 15 seconds

• reinstall windows

• run system file checker

• enter safe mode

• uninstall and reinstall all of my usb drivers

• check for malware

The problem with the CTRL key happened no matter what program I was using, but the problems with the c and v keys have only started while playing a game. Any help in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:)

DylanMika, Jul 10, 2020

2. certain programs slowing down computer

how do i put certain programs on my windows 10 computer to sleep?

brodhead70, Jul 10, 2020
  3. Certain keys on the keyboard are not working properly.

Hi Russell,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that certain keys on the keyboard are not working properly on the pc. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• Have you installed all pending updates on the pc?

• Have you performed a full pc virus scan on the system recently?

Suggest you to launch the on-screen keyboard to check if the issue persists.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press “Windows key + R” to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Also suggest you to install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps.
    Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Further, you may also boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue persists. When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the system.
    These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows: (Applies to Windows 10)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jul 10, 2020
  4. PulseJet Win User

Keyboard acts if certain keys are pressed when they are not

On my Lenovo Yoga 500-14ISK running Windows 10 Home, I am experiencing weird keyboard issues, some of which are listed below:

1. Double clicking on items in Windows Explorer opens the properties dialog (Also reported without any proper solution here.)
    2. Sometimes in Firefox, everything works as if the Control and Shift key is stuck. I cannot use these keys at all. Interestingly, the keys are not really stuck since reopening Firefox gets rid of the issue.
    3. In some other programs, (especially Spyder), some keys sometimes function as if the Ctrl key is pressed down, even if I haven't even touched Ctrl.

I have tried a full recovery without any luck.

I dual boot and the problem never seems to occur under Linux. Also, it mostly occurs only after extended use.

PulseJet, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Certain programs make my computer act as if certain keys are pressed down - Similar Threads - Certain programs computer

2. Computer freezes whenever i press certain keys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes whenever i press certain keys.: Every time I play any game or anytime i am doing my homework on my computer, some keys that I press cause the screen to freeze completely. Hell, honestly i think it freezes the whole pc. the keys could vary as:ShiftCtrlEscBackspace123ive tried deleting things that take up...
  3. Computer freezes whenever i press certain keys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes whenever i press certain keys.: Every time I play any game or anytime i am doing my homework on my computer, some keys that I press cause the screen to freeze completely. Hell, honestly i think it freezes the whole pc. the keys could vary as:ShiftCtrlEscBackspace123ive tried deleting things that take up...
  4. Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys: Recently I have discovered an issue with what I believe to be my computer, not my specific keyboard. When pressing the media skip and replay buttons, I find they act as the P and Q keys as well. This problem does not occur when typing out on documents or searching things up,...
  5. Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys: Recently I have discovered an issue with what I believe to be my computer, not my specific keyboard. When pressing the media skip and replay buttons, I find they act as the P and Q keys as well. This problem does not occur when typing out on documents or searching things up,...
  6. Computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when it is not

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when it is not: Hey guys, I've been experiencing an issue with my pc Windows 10 recently where my computer acts as if the CTRL key is pressed down when in fact it is not. For example, typing "w" in a web browser executes the CTRL + w command, and so forth. Viewing the onscreen keyboard...
  7. Is there a hotkey program which virtually presses a key at certain times?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a hotkey program which virtually presses a key at certain times?: Hello, Wanted to ask if there is a program that virtually presses a certain key at certain times ? Thanks a lot. Gibt es ein Hotkey Programm welches zu bestimmten zeiten eine Taste virtuell drückt?
  8. Pressing a Media Key "Presses" Another Key In Certain Programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pressing a Media Key "Presses" Another Key In Certain Programs: My problem is that pressing my media keys (volume up, down, play/pause, etc.) also does a certain function as of what another key does. Such as pressing the mute button would mute my PC, but would also "press" the D key. This probably doesn't make sense, but it does happen....
  9. Certain keys not registering when pressed

Certain keys not registering when pressed: Both my a and f keys don't seem to registrar when I click them so I wonder if there is anything to be done. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-keys-not-registering-when-pressed/cb3b3ba9-261c-405a-a03e-4991414e6a49
  10. certain programs slowing down computer

certain programs slowing down computer: how do i put certain programs on my windows 10 computer to sleep? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-programs-slowing-down-computer/46aad902-1d53-429f-8669-83475179aa5f