Windows 10: Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard

Discus and support Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a smartcard which holds 2 certificates, one RSA and one ECC certificate. On inserting the smartcard, if the Certificate Propagation Service... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by yoq_, Mar 12, 2019.

1. yoq_ Win User

Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard

I have a smartcard which holds 2 certificates, one RSA and one ECC certificate. On inserting the smartcard, if the Certificate Propagation Service (CertPropSvc) is running, it will import the RSA certificate successfully into the Personal store, and then crash. The ECC certificate is not imported.

Also, while the smartcard is attached to the system, it is not possible to start the service manually since it will immediately crash again.

Here you can find the WER report and the two certificates from the smartcard: https://beinder.at/pub/CertPropSvc_crash.zip

:)

2. Logon prompt not detecting smartcard?

All,

Isn't Windows supposed to detect a smartcard and prompt for a PIN at logon? When I insert my card, nothing happens. I can then login using a local account, open my card manager application and see the card with the identification and certificate information perfectly.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

throwaway51, Mar 12, 2019
  3. ITSodius Win User
    Smartcard service never stays in "Automatic" mode

Hello,

For some banking operation, we (my company) must use a USB smartcard reader. Despite our efforts, the smartcard service is always disabled at startup, which is pretty annoying considering the operator is not administrator on its computer.

Any idea about that?

ITSodius, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard

Computer not reading CAC card

The system services might not be configured properly. To ensure that the system services are correctly configured, kindly follow these steps:

• Click Start, type services.msc in the
      Search programs and files
      box, and then press ENTER.

• Locate the Certificate Propagation service, and then verify that the
      Status of this service is Started and that the
      Startup Type
      is Automatic.

• If the settings are different, double-click Certificate Propagation, click
      Automatic in the Startup type list, click
      Start
      to start the service without restarting the computer, and then click
      OK.

• Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the Smart Card service.

• Lastly, reinsert the smart card in the smart card reader.

Check if that resolves the issue.

If the issue persists, kindly get back to us.

Vanessa Oca, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard

1. Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard - Similar Threads - Certificate Propagation Service

2. GPO not propagating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPO not propagating: I believe I know why but I would like it confirmed because I cannot find any official referenceInherited AD network and need to convince some admins.Issue* Some older GPOs seem to be working but just created a new one in test and it didn't enforce my chosen...
  3. GPO not propagating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPO not propagating: I believe I know why but I would like it confirmed because I cannot find any official referenceInherited AD network and need to convince some admins.Issue* Some older GPOs seem to be working but just created a new one in test and it didn't enforce my chosen...
  4. SmartCard Service error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SmartCard Service error: I'm experiencing an issue with my SmartCard.I thought it was the reader. It is not. I repeat, it's NOT the reader.I checked the service and noticed that it's not running. I tried to start it and got an error:Windows could not start the Smart Card service on Local...
  5. SmartCard Service error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SmartCard Service error: I'm experiencing an issue with my SmartCard.I thought it was the reader. It is not. I repeat, it's NOT the reader.I checked the service and noticed that it's not running. I tried to start it and got an error:Windows could not start the Smart Card service on Local...
  6. SmartCard Service error

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Unwanted appis and certificates that are propagated through registry and hidden guide...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unwanted appis and certificates that are propagated through registry and hidden guide...: Hi ,there is much about my system that is not right. When I go into the registry there are many guides, hidden keys, unknown users, page redirector protocols, partition and bios manager entries other than default, i see when i freshly download files an api-msi-wincore series...
  8. IE Certificate Propagation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    IE Certificate Propagation: Using Win10 Home v10.0.19041 unable to transfer certificate into the IE Personal store browser Dell Inspiron 7405. Using a different laptop running Win10 Pro v10.0.18363 this is not a problem Dell XPS. I've tried Chrome and Opera browsers, both are successful with...
  9. Insert smartcard bug in windows 10 HOME edition gpedit.msc not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Insert smartcard bug in windows 10 HOME edition gpedit.msc not working: Hello, I now also have the smartcard bug annoying me, I've searched the net and found the gpedit messages. Problem is that this doesn't work on the windows 10 Home edition. So I need a workaround for home edition from Microsoft. It's too crazy that this happens on a...
  10. Certificates are not propagated - Certificate Propagation Service

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Certificates are not propagated - Certificate Propagation Service: I have a problem using a Smart Card. For some reason it doesn't propagate certificates automatically, the only way it propagates is by locking the windows screen, and unlocking again. I understand that propagation is done automatically only when connecting my card to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. certifcate propagation service stopped

2. certificate propagation service can not start windows 10

3. certificate propagation service not working windows 10

4. start certificate propagation service windows 10,
  5. AFRC CAC reader stopped working after Windows 10 1903 update