Windows 10: Certificates are not propagated - Certificate Propagation Service

Discus and support Certificates are not propagated - Certificate Propagation Service in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a problem using a Smart Card. For some reason it doesn't propagate certificates automatically, the only way it propagates is by locking the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RolandGT, Apr 9, 2020.

1. RolandGT Win User

Certificates are not propagated - Certificate Propagation Service

I have a problem using a Smart Card. For some reason it doesn't propagate certificates automatically, the only way it propagates is by locking the windows screen, and unlocking again.
    I understand that propagation is done automatically only when connecting my card to the reader.
    The minidriver that is automatically downloaded and installed from Windows Update is "Athena Smartcard Solutions - SmartCard - 7.5.1.4".
    Any ideas?

:)

RolandGT, Apr 9, 2020
  2. yoq_ Win User

Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard

I have a smartcard (Austrian Citizen Card) which holds 2 certificates, one RSA and one ECC certificate. On inserting the smartcard, if the Certificate Propagation Service (CertPropSvc) is running, it will occasionally import the RSA certificate into the
    Personal store, and then crash. Often it crashes immediately, and not import any certificate. The ECC certificate has never been imported successfully so far.

Here you can find the WER report and the two certificates on the smartcard: https://beinder.at/pub/CertPropSvc_crash.zip

edit: Upon further testing, it does not seem to be a issue with these particular certificates, as it is possible to load them onto a yubikey (without private key of course, so any private key operation would fail) and from the yubikey both are immediately
    imported without any problems.

I'm using a Reiner SCT cyberJack cardreader, with current drivers:
    https://www.reiner-sct.com/support/support-anfrage/?productGroup=77304735&product=77304820&q=driver&os=Windows#choice5

But ultimately, even an incorrectly implemented driver should not cause a crash downstream in svchost.

edit2: turned out to be a a issue in the a.sign minidriver with windows 10 which is now fixed in the latest version

yoq_, Apr 9, 2020
  3. Rohit_R Win User
    Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I see that you are facing issues with Certificate Propagation Service which is getting crashed after inserting the smartcard. I would like to inform you that we have a team of experts who are better aligned to resolve your issue. Please post your query
    on Technet
    forum so that it reaches the dedicated team.

Hope it helps.

Rohit Raina

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Rohit_R, Apr 9, 2020
  4. Certificates are not propagated - Certificate Propagation Service

Computer not reading CAC card

The system services might not be configured properly. To ensure that the system services are correctly configured, kindly follow these steps:

• Click Start, type services.msc in the
      Search programs and files
      box, and then press ENTER.

• Locate the Certificate Propagation service, and then verify that the
      Status of this service is Started and that the
      Startup Type
      is Automatic.

• If the settings are different, double-click Certificate Propagation, click
      Automatic in the Startup type list, click
      Start
      to start the service without restarting the computer, and then click
      OK.

• Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the Smart Card service.

• Lastly, reinsert the smart card in the smart card reader.

Check if that resolves the issue.

If the issue persists, kindly get back to us.

Vanessa Oca, Apr 9, 2020
Thema:

Certificates are not propagated - Certificate Propagation Service

1. Certificates are not propagated - Certificate Propagation Service - Similar Threads - Certificates are propagated

2. GPO not propagating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPO not propagating: I believe I know why but I would like it confirmed because I cannot find any official referenceInherited AD network and need to convince some admins.Issue* Some older GPOs seem to be working but just created a new one in test and it didn't enforce my chosen...
  3. GPO not propagating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPO not propagating: I believe I know why but I would like it confirmed because I cannot find any official referenceInherited AD network and need to convince some admins.Issue* Some older GPOs seem to be working but just created a new one in test and it didn't enforce my chosen...
  4. certification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    certification: I have a certificate with microsoft which I have lost but still have my transcript with me is there any help, to regain the certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certification/158ba229-8db5-4f0e-baab-df7175e1b497
  5. Certificates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certificates: Anyone know what would block a certificate from being sent through a third party software? I use DoD certificates to connect to a website and can do so successfully using IE, Firefox, or Chrome. But if I try to connect to the site using Webinspect, Burp, or Zap it gives me...
  6. Certificates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Certificates: Anyone know what would block a certificate from being sent through a third party software? I use DoD certificates to connect to a website and can do so successfully using IE, Firefox, or Chrome. But if I try to connect to the site using Webinspect, Burp, or Zap it gives me...
  7. Unwanted appis and certificates that are propagated through registry and hidden guide...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unwanted appis and certificates that are propagated through registry and hidden guide...: Hi ,there is much about my system that is not right. When I go into the registry there are many guides, hidden keys, unknown users, page redirector protocols, partition and bios manager entries other than default, i see when i freshly download files an api-msi-wincore series...
  8. IE Certificate Propagation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    IE Certificate Propagation: Using Win10 Home v10.0.19041 unable to transfer certificate into the IE Personal store browser Dell Inspiron 7405. Using a different laptop running Win10 Pro v10.0.18363 this is not a problem Dell XPS. I've tried Chrome and Opera browsers, both are successful with...
  9. Certificate Services Client AutoEnrollment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Certificate Services Client AutoEnrollment: Since the most recent update I get the below warning and then my PC automatically reboots. I am not sure how to fix this. I have tried recovery and it did not work. I have tried resetting but the PC states it can not reset. - <Event...
  10. Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard: I have a smartcard which holds 2 certificates, one RSA and one ECC certificate. On inserting the smartcard, if the Certificate Propagation Service (CertPropSvc) is running, it will import the RSA certificate successfully into the Personal store, and then crash. The ECC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. certificates are not propagated