Windows 10: certmgr.msc - ‘Trusted Roots’ vs ‘3rd Party Roots’

Discus and support certmgr.msc - ‘Trusted Roots’ vs ‘3rd Party Roots’ in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello all, I’ve been looking around in certmgr.msc, and I’ve noticed “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” and “Third-Party Root Certificates”... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by InternetLuke, Jun 12, 2020.

1. certmgr.msc - ‘Trusted Roots’ vs ‘3rd Party Roots’

Hello all,

I’ve been looking around in certmgr.msc, and I’ve noticed “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” and “Third-Party Root Certificates” folders. What’s the difference?

Thanks,

InternetLuke.

:)

InternetLuke, Jun 12, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft updates Trusted Root Certificate Program

Source: Microsoft updates Trusted Root Certificate Program to reinforce trust in the Internet | Microsoft Malware Protection Center

Brink, Jun 12, 2020
  3. Adding a Certificate to the Trusted Root Certificate Authority

I really hope there is an answer for this question. We use a large public certificate authority on all public facing sites and services. Unfortunately, it is not one of the default trusted root certificate authorities. Is there any way to import root
    certificates into the Windows Phone 8 trusted root certificate authorities? I find it very troubling that so much time and development went into Windows Phone 8, and this issue was not addressed. Because of the way the Lync mobile client works, it is 100%
    not possible to connect to Lync without the certificates being trusted. Its bad enough the Lync client Microsoft made for the iPhone is more robust than the Windows and Android versions, but to not even be able to connect would be extremely aggrevating.
    I've attempted the whole "email myself the root certificate and install it", and that didn't work. Even with rebooting the phone, etc. Someone, anyone, please HELP!!!

Teufel Hunde, Jun 12, 2020
  4. Revup67 Win User

certmgr.msc - ‘Trusted Roots’ vs ‘3rd Party Roots’

Windows 10 - Various Trusted Root Certifications Expired

Recently (less than a month ago, I had purchased a new Windows 10 Home edition workstation from IBUYPOWER. After getting this system dialed in I have found multiple Trusted Root Certifications that were expired.

I then verified our Windows 10 Tablet from 2016 (Surface Pro 4) and found the same exact certificates Expired.

In both systems my findings were:

Trusted Root Certifications/ Certificates folder

1. Copyright (c) 1997 Microsoft Corp. for Time Stamping (last I read this was only necessary up to Windows XP / Windows 2003 Server). Expired 12/30/1999
    2. Microsoft Authenticode(tm) Root Authority - expired 12/31/1999
    3. NO LIABILITY ACCEPTED, (c)97 VeriSign, Inc. expired 1/7/2004
    4. GTE CyberTrust Global Root - expired 8/13/2018
    5. Equifax Secure Certificate Authority - expired 8/22/2018

I'd like to remove ALL of these or update these certificates or other recommendation. I am aware there may be consequences for doing so thus I shall wait for validation.

Any Microsoft MVP's that have info on the above and best way to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rev

Revup67, Jun 12, 2020
Thema:

certmgr.msc - ‘Trusted Roots’ vs ‘3rd Party Roots’

1. certmgr.msc - ‘Trusted Roots’ vs ‘3rd Party Roots’ - Similar Threads - certmgr msc ‘Trusted

2. Issue with Windows 12 Sandbox and Trusted Root Certificate Authority.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Windows 12 Sandbox and Trusted Root Certificate Authority.: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,I am having issues with a system that is running behind a firewall, this system has a certificate authority installed as a trusted certificate into the trust store of the Windows 11 system. Everything works however when I go to run...
  3. A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by...: Hi,I have found same Microsoft files but with different hashes have different reputations and there are some problems with signature verfication like below figure event though the signer is Microsoft Corporation. what is the reason for this issue? A certificate chain...
  4. A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by...: Hi,I have found same Microsoft files but with different hashes have different reputations and there are some problems with signature verfication like below figure event though the signer is Microsoft Corporation. what is the reason for this issue? A certificate chain...
  5. Need of assistance with Microsoft Trusted Root Program

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need of assistance with Microsoft Trusted Root Program: Hi,My boss: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** received an email from *** Email address is removed for privacy ***:This will impact youPersonal I.D. LtdCERTIFICATE NAME:‎PersonalID Trustworthy RootCA 2011SHA1 THUMBPRINT:4394CE3126FF1A224CDD4DEEB4F4EC1DA368EF6A The...
  6. Windows defragger vs 3rd party defragger.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defragger vs 3rd party defragger.: Windows defragger always says i don't need to defrag so i figured i would download defraggler to see what it said. And it says on my one drive that it has over 75 thousand fragmented files, where windows say 0% fragmented. So which one do i believe windows or the 3rd party...
  7. root kits

root kits: what is scan root kits for on malware bytes build1904sedww 150311
  8. Windows 10 - Various Trusted Root Certifications Expired

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Various Trusted Root Certifications Expired: Recently less than a month ago, I had purchased a new Windows 10 Home edition workstation from IBUYPOWER. After getting this system dialed in I have found multiple Trusted Root Certifications that were expired. I then verified our Windows 10 Tablet from 2016 Surface Pro 4...
  9. Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?: Since Windows Defender is dominating the AV world, now why do most enterprises are still sticking with 3rd party AV programs like McAfee or Symantec? Are these two still better than running Defender? I believe Defender even has its own central management solution for...
  10. Microsoft updates Trusted Root Certificate Program

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft updates Trusted Root Certificate Program: At Microsoft, we are continuously working to deliver on our commitment to the security of our customers and their ecosystems. A core component of our strategy to inform Windows users about the safety of the websites, apps and software they’re accessing online is built into...