Windows 10: CFA blocking explorer.exe and Word etc - why??

Discus and support CFA blocking explorer.exe and Word etc - why?? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; As the subject says. Really strange. Keeps blocking random things when using the official Office programs. I've added them to the allow app section... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GT_KE, Sep 19, 2019.

1. GT_KE Win User

CFA blocking explorer.exe and Word etc - why??

As the subject says. Really strange. Keeps blocking random things when using the official Office programs. I've added them to the allow app section now, but I feel it may continue to block more. Is it ok to white list them or should I be keeping whatever it's blocking blocked? I couldn't see any problems when using the program as yet, but haven't used them fully at the moment and the blocked pop up is very annoying. Any ideas??

:)

GT_KE, Sep 19, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Smartscreen blocking an EXE

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get any option to save password?
    • Which application are you referring to?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• Right click on the shortcut or in File explorer and select Run as administrator check if that helps.
    • Also observe when you type password do you get a prompt for saving password just above Taskbar.

You may also refer the link below and check if that helps.

Smart Screen Filter: FAQ.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/use-smartscreen-filter#ie=ie-11

Hope the issue with smart screen blocking exe will resolved. Do let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Sep 19, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Moving Files to Explorer

Controlled Folder Access was introduced in build 16232, that was an Insider build prior to the public release in version 1709 build 16299. Little has change in 1803 build 17134 except that CFA is on by default now (it was off by default in 1709).

That would be a useful addition, perhaps they will in subsequent versions? In the mean time, we have to add apps as best we can.

I have found that occasionally CFA starts to block more things than it should, a Restart cures that - try that first.

Yes, you could turn CFA off to let you move files, but as you say that reduces security. You could create a C:\Temp folder, you'd be able to move them there with CFA turned on because that would not be a protected folder. CFA should let File Explorer move them from there to your intended destination (it shouldn't block explorer.exe, if it does you need a Restart). Or you could give access to the app(s) that are being blocked.

The notifications that blocking has occurred are fleeting, and often don't show the full path to the binary file the needs to be added (it's not always the obvious .exe, sometimes it's a .bin).

The event viewer also logs the apps that were blocked. Open Event Viewer, look at the log for:
    Applications and Services > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender > Operational
    Event ID 1123 shows the name and full path of the executable that was blocked. In the Actions pane on the right you can 'Filter current log...' to help you find event ID 1123 quickly.

4. the jimmy Win User

Moving Files to Explorer

Ok, so I turned off CFA and am now able to move the files, is my only 2 options, the protection of CFA and not being able to move files within my system, or turning it off and being vulnerable? I can't be the only person with this issue.

Bree, following your last link I believe this was introduced in a recent windows build.

Also when an app is blocked, why didn't MS add the ability to click on an "allow" button so it could be added to the list so I don't need to fish around looking for the exe file.

the jimmy, Sep 19, 2019
Thema:

1. CFA blocking explorer.exe and Word etc - why?? - Similar Threads - CFA blocking explorer

2. CFA blocking svchost.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CFA blocking svchost.exe: my CFA is blocking a a process with the name of svchost.exe. I provided it access to it. Is my laptop safe? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cfa-blocking-svchostexe/5afee0d3-1607-4c56-8330-ac8d01ec3a0d
  3. CFA blocking svchost.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CFA blocking svchost.exe: my CFA is blocking a a process with the name of svchost.exe. I provided it access to it. Is my laptop safe? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cfa-blocking-svchostexe/5afee0d3-1607-4c56-8330-ac8d01ec3a0d
  4. Why isn't file explorer not opening .exe's?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why isn't file explorer not opening .exe's?: When i try to open any exe files on explorer it does the busy cursor then it doesn't open it? any fixes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-isnt-file-explorer-not-opening-exes/6a803796-da43-4ab8-b50e-887d4de66ee1
  5. Blocked exe file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocked exe file: I am sure someone somewhere has a virtual voodoo doll of me. This is the exe file for a game I have had since 2007. It has never happened before. I have scanned the folder with Kaspersky. It says its clean. I have switched off UAC, then switched off the pc, and restarted it,...
  6. Sudden Defender CFA "blocked" notification. Nothing blocked.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sudden Defender CFA "blocked" notification. Nothing blocked.: Why would I get a "Protected folder access blocked" notification from Defender when I open an xls under the conditions listed below? The app is EXCEL.EXE, the folder is D:\Documents\Stuff. 1. I've accessed the same xls in that same folder many many times in the past and...
  7. Exe blocked.

Exe blocked.: Hello, I am operating on Microsoft office 2010 but would like to upgrade to Microsoft professional plus office 2013. Unfortunately whenever I try to install I get a message by Windows defender "Unauthorized changes are blocked". What can I do in order to be authorized?...
  8. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  9. svchost.exe msiexex.exe and explorer exe Blocked By Defender

svchost.exe msiexex.exe and explorer exe Blocked By Defender: I just had to reinstall my OS from a malware and possibly being hacked ( named pipilenes , user unknown , Edge Cp and svchost blocked from running dynamic script) I'm very leary of letting anything through controlled folders right now. I haven't tried to install any other...
  10. Word blocked

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Word blocked: I am blocked out of using Word (365). If I try to access my files I am told I must sign in first. But the sign in box will not allow any typing. If by chance it does, it then tells me I must use Windows Hello to sign in. My renew is not due until January. What can possibly...
Tags: