Windows 10: Challenging SSD Partition problem... kinda stumped. No volume showing

Discus and support Challenging SSD Partition problem... kinda stumped. No volume showing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Upgraded to an NVMe drive a while back, but realized I left some data on the previous SATA disk, When I connect the SATA disk now, it has no drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nanohead, Nov 19, 2019.

1. nanohead Win User

Challenging SSD Partition problem... kinda stumped. No volume showing

Upgraded to an NVMe drive a while back, but realized I left some data on the previous SATA disk,

When I connect the SATA disk now, it has no drive letter, which is puzzling. Disk Management sees the disk, and it is online, and shows as Basic, and "healthy (active, primary partition)", but I cannot assign a drive letter to it.

So I go into Diskpart, and I can see the disk, I can query it and see its partitions. The Primary partition is what I want to access, and I can see it in Diskpart, but there are no volumes. I've used Diskpart successfully to assign drive letters before, but only to volumes, not partitions.

I can successfully select the primary partition and make it active. But I still cannot access it.

So I'm kinda stumped.

Can I assign a drive letter to a partition?

:)

nanohead, Nov 19, 2019

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Nov 19, 2019
  3. johnhawke Win User
    After hard reset, OS disk showing no volumes/partitions

Hi everyone,

I've searched high and low on Google for the specific issue that I'm having, but I can't seem to figure this out.

About a year ago, I built my own computer. I have my OS (Windows 10) installed on a Plextor M6 256 SSD. Today, for about the fourth time in a year, my computer became unresponsive during normal use. After a forced hard reset, I was taken to a black screen with the 0xc00000e error, telling me that a required device was inaccessible. After a quick Google search, I found many answers saying that this problem was because of a corrupted boot record.

I followed the steps recommended by Microsoft. First, I attempted automated startup recovery. This didn't work. Then I attempted to use bootrec to fix the problem. This resulted in the tool telling me that no Windows installations were detected.

I decided then to open diskpart. The disk itself was detected, but whenever I listed volumes, nothing showed up for that disk. No partitions or volumes were listed.

I've since recovered the drive by flashing a Clonezilla image that I had as a backup, so everything is up and running now. However, I am curious as to why this problem keeps happening. I've downloaded the diagnostic tools from Plextor for my disk, and it says that everything is fine. I've also run a Windows memory diagnostic, which has returned no errors.

My assumption is that the hard reset is causing some kind of partition table corruption. But, that still leaves the issue of why the computer is freezing up to begin with unsolved. Any suggestions/possible causes to investigate would be much appreciated!

johnhawke, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Challenging SSD Partition problem... kinda stumped. No volume showing

Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Challenging SSD Partition problem... kinda stumped. No volume showing partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

Challenging SSD Partition problem... kinda stumped. No volume showing

1. Challenging SSD Partition problem... kinda stumped. No volume showing - Similar Threads - Challenging SSD Partition

2. ownership problems... kinda

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ownership problems... kinda: I was messing with ownership settings I only have one account on my pc so idk what I was doing and it was kinda dum but the problem I have is not really a big one it is just an annoyance anything I downloaded since then now has a lock symbol on the top right of the folder . I...
  3. ownership problems... kinda

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ownership problems... kinda: I was messing with ownership settings I only have one account on my pc so idk what I was doing and it was kinda dum but the problem I have is not really a big one it is just an annoyance anything I downloaded since then now has a lock symbol on the top right of the folder . I...
  4. ownership problems... kinda

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Challenge Phrase problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Challenge Phrase problem: Respected sir/madam, When I start my laptop even though I have not entered the password for a single time it says I have entered the incorrect password several times and asks me to type down the challenge phrase. This issue has come with recent cumulative update. Kindly...
  6. Challenge Phrase problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Challenge Phrase problem: Respected sir/madam, When I start my laptop even though I have not entered the password for a single time it says I have entered the incorrect password several times and asks me to type down the challenge phrase. This issue has come with recent cumulative update. Kindly...
  7. SSD Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Partition: My Intel NUC 5i5RYH comes with 128GB M.2 SATA.I partitioned into two.Now I wish to combine back into a single partition.Unfortunately, the 2nd partition does not follows the 1st partition. There is another partition in between.The partition in between is called Recovery...
  8. Some kinda rare problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some kinda rare problem: So lemme start from first like I was using adrenaline 21.4.1 version for my laptop which was creating problems in Fullscreen games so according to Microsoft forums I downgraded and everything was fine until I found that my settings now never opened even the search keeps on...
  9. Kinda confusing problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Kinda confusing problem: For some reason nothing on chrome has sound. When I open chrome and go on a website that has a video I can hear the sound but if I try to watch another video the sound isn't working. If I close the window and reopen chrome the first video has sound but the next ones don't....
  10. Settings Problem Has Me Stumped

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Settings Problem Has Me Stumped: I have recently noticed some issues with my mouse and keyboard; I think they are just simple settings issues but I cannot find the solution to save my life!!! I am using a dell precision laptop with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Whenever I am on a web page and try to "cut...