Windows 10: Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit

Discus and support Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I recently bought a new Laptop (HP Envy x360, Intel i5 10th gen.) with a synaptics precision touchpad. I just wanted to change 2 finger tap to middle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tri-ethylEther, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit

I recently bought a new Laptop (HP Envy x360, Intel i5 10th gen.) with a synaptics precision touchpad.

I just wanted to change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button. In in the win10 settings i can only choose to set 2fingertap to right click: yes or no. On my old laptop i had a dedicated synaptics tab in the advanced setting where I could change that, however I dont have that tab on my new device.

Here is what I tried so far:

• reinstall drivers, install older drivers from HP and Synaptics website ... yada yada yada, nothing changed anything.

(because I thought it might be a software issue i returned the laptop. I bought the same laptop 1 month later with the new intel 11th gen., but everthing is the same and because this feature is absolutely crucial to me I continued the search for a solution)

• as I said on my old computer i had the synaptics settings but when i changed it accordingly it didn't work anyways so had to install a 3rd party app (twofingerscroll.exe) which fixed the problem, but this program can't be installed on my new HP.
    • I found some synaptics programs in the Win10 store but they cant be installed either
    • now I tried to get a solution via the registry editor (however I am not experienced). I found an article which says that windows hides the synaptics settings which can be undone in the regedit:

https://7thzero.com/blog/unlock-hidden-synaptics-touch-pad-settings-windows-10

however i dont have the ' HideTPSettings ' on my device. Also I am scared that once I have the settings, it won't work anyway like on my old computer.

• then I found an article where they successfully mapped 3fingertap to MMB via regedit:

https://superuser.com/questions/954...-control-panel-and-middle-click/954318#954318

I tried to adapt it to the 2fingertap, but wasn't successfull so far (also rebooting the machine after every try).

I just wanted to know if anyone can help me. I just know it must be possible because people have achieved far crazier modifications (https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/...try_hacks_to_enable_hidden_touchpad_features/) and this seems rather simple in comparison.

I am glad for any help, thanks Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit :)

submitted by /u/tri-ethylEther
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tri-ethylEther, Jan 13, 2021
  2. PKreitler Win User

Precision Touchpad Middle Mouse Hold Drag

Hi Everyone,

I am new to using a Precision Touchpad. I switched over from a touchpad with a Synaptics Driver. I am using a Dell Laptop and the Dell support says this is a Windows Driver issue because they just use the Windows Drivers.

I often use my computer for CAD drafting. This function uses a lot of middle mouse wheel functions to pan around the screen. On my old computer, I could set part of the track pad as a middle mouse click and hold function. It would allow me to click, hold,
    and pan around the screen. On my new Precision Touch Pad, I have mapped a three finger tap as a middle mouse click. But, there is no option to "HOLD" the click down. Is there a way to enable this "HOLD" function?

FYI, I am using AutoHotKey to remap my left mouse click as a middle click hold, but it is a clunky solution. Does anyone know a way to enable this "HOLD" function for a three finger tap on the Precision Touchpad?

Windows 10. Dell Inspiron. Everything is Up To Date.

PKreitler, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    How do I change the 3-finger-tap action on my touchpad from Cortana to middle mouse button?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community Forums.

With Windows 10, you can find some of the new configuration options for the touchpad. Most popular touchpad manufacturers support launching Cortana by three finger tap or click. That is, on some laptops, it’s possible to launch
    Cortana by making three finger click or tap on touchpad. The feature is available only, if you have the latest version of touchpad installed on the computer, however it is possible to customize these settings as per your needs. Please follow the steps as given
    below.

• Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key and the R key.
    • Type Control and hit the Enter key to open
      Control panel.
    • Click on Mouse to open the mouse properties.
    • Switch to the touchpad tab and then click
      Settings to open the Synaptics control panel.
    • Under Taps
      section,
      go to Click
      tab of the control panel.
    • Locate the option Three Finger Tap
      and click on the drop down list next to it.
    • Change the value and set it as per your requirements.
    • Similarly, click on
      Three Finger Click
      under
      Clicks section and change the value which suits your requirements.
    • Save the changes and exit touchpad settings.

Check the results and let us know, if we can be of any further assistance.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Aelius Win User

Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit

Touchpad tap configured as "mouse back button" not working in Explorer

I have a ThinkPad T480 laptop, using a Synaptics touchpad. I use the built-in Windows 10 touchpad settings to configure the tap functionality.

I configured the touchpad to function as a "mouse back button" when I tap it with three fingers. It works fine in Firefox but it does not work at all in Windows Explorer (i.e., browsing files on my computer.)

Touch pad scrolling works fine, even in Windows Explorer.

Interestingly, I can get it to work as long as Explorer isn't focused. So, for example, if I click an empty part of the taskbar and then put the cursor over an Explorer window - without clicking it - then I do a three-finger tap, Explorer successfully goes back.

One other interesting observation: if I set three-finger tap to something else (say, Action Center), it does work in Explorer. This suggests that the problem is not Explorer failing to recognize any taps - just SPECIFICALLY back-button tap functionality.

Also, I tried setting two- and four-finger taps as mouse back button functionality but it doesn't work for those either, meaning the problem is not specific to three-finger taps.

Any ideas?

Aelius, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit

1. Change 2 finger tap to middle mouse button (Synaptics Precision touchpad) via regedit - Similar Threads - Change finger tap

2. Windows 11 Precision touchpad two finger tap for middle click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Precision touchpad two finger tap for middle click: Hi,I have been using two finger tap for middle click for a while with elantech drivers on other PCs but here it isn't available. It wasn't over there either but there was a way to modify settings in regedit. Now, I found the folder for the precision driver in regedit but it...
  3. Windows 11 Precision touchpad two finger tap for middle click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Precision touchpad two finger tap for middle click: Hi,I have been using two finger tap for middle click for a while with elantech drivers on other PCs but here it isn't available. It wasn't over there either but there was a way to modify settings in regedit. Now, I found the folder for the precision driver in regedit but it...
  4. Middle mouse button drag with the touchpad

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Middle mouse button drag with the touchpad: Good morning, This might be an age old question but I need to find a way to perform this if I dont have a mouse with the notebook. CAD software traditionally use middle button drag for panning a drawing sheet or rotating the 3D model. Currently the left button drag mode...
  5. Precision Touchpad 2 finger scrolling speed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Precision Touchpad 2 finger scrolling speed: Hello, I've recently purchased a Lenovo Yoga 6 13ARE05 model laptop. I've been wanting to adjust the 2 finger scroll speed as well as how far I will scroll a page with one swipe inertia. I previously had a Thinkpad with a Synaptics touchpad and had access to their control...
  6. Customize two finger tap on a touchpad assign middle-click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize two finger tap on a touchpad assign middle-click: Hello, I've recently changed OS from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and been trying to customize a two-finger tap assign middle-click to it, but so far I wasn't able find a way for that. That would be logical since two-finger swipe is used for scroll "rotate mouse wheel", therefore...
  7. [Precision Touchpad Drivers] Double finger tap without rising all the fingers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Precision Touchpad Drivers] Double finger tap without rising all the fingers: Hi everyone. I was wondering why, to execute a tap with two fingers (right-click touchpad gesture) it is needed to rise the main finger before doing the tap. It would be much more confortable for me to leave the main finger on the touchpad and tap with a second finger. I...
  8. How do I change the 3-finger-tap action on my touchpad from Cortana to middle mouse button?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I change the 3-finger-tap action on my touchpad from Cortana to middle mouse button?: Hello, I would like to be able to tap with three fingers to emulate a middle mouse button click (e.g. to open links in a new tap). Unfortunately, it opens Cortana instead, which I very much don't want. This used to work until I updated to the 1809 update today. Device:...
  9. How do I get middle click via a three finger tap with my touchpad?

How do I get middle click via a three finger tap with my touchpad?: So I recently purchased a new laptop that has Windows 10 installed (Acer Aspire E5-573G) and I would like to change the way the touchpad taps work. Specifically, I would like a middle click from a three finger tap. It's an ELAN touchpad, if that makes any difference, and I...
  10. Synaptics Two Finger tap in Windows 10

Synaptics Two Finger tap in Windows 10: Hi Running a Lenovo Y500, with the Lenovo Synaptics software (also tried the generic software from Synaptics). In Windows 8.1, I did the registry fix (adjust 2FingerTapAction value to 2 etc), and i could use it just fine. Seems the reg fix doesn't work in Win 10. The...