Windows 10: Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default'

Discus and support Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default' in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; WIN10, Version 2004, Build 19041-264 I have accidentally changed a file default and I want to change it back to 'Choose a default'. I have already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sasha100, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Sasha100 Win User

Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default'

WIN10, Version 2004, Build 19041-264
    I have accidentally changed a file default and I want to change it back to 'Choose a default'. I have already tried 'reset' defaults but it will not change the default. Can you please help.

:)

Sasha100, Jun 8, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default' [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default' [​IMG]

Bree, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Choosing Default Apps & Insider Programme

To resolve your concern, kindly choose the default apps by file type. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Choose System.
    • Select Default apps.
    • Click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Check all of the video file type, and then check if you can change the default app to your preferred application.
    After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result

Argel Obm, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to change default app by file type

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate your effort on this. We understand that you want to change the default app for GED files as Roots Magic, we will look into this for you. However, we would like to know the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far to avoid redundancy
    of steps.

As you have mentioned that GED files are opened with Photoshop, we can try the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Change default app using the file

Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Navigate to the location where you have saved the GED files, right click on any of the file and select
      Properties.
    2. Under Open with, click on
      Change
    3. Now, click on More apps, scroll down and look for Roots Magic application.
    4. If Roots Magic is not available in the list then, click on
      Look for another app on this PC and select the application using the location.

Method 2: Change default app using Settings.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Apps.
    3. Click on Default apps, on the left pane.
    4. Now, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    5. Scroll down, look for .GED file type and click on
      Choose a default.
    6. Now, select the Roots Magic application.

If the issue persists, you may create a new user account and check if the issue persists in the new user account. Refer the steps mentioned in the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default' - Similar Threads - Change default file

2. "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option: Hey, got Acrobat installed but cant set it as default app to open pdf files.i have been in setting- default - "Choose Defaults by file type" ..., but there is no .pdf extension only .pdfxml right click on pdf file ---- NO OPTION TO CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMRight click pdf file -...
  3. "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option: Hey, got Acrobat installed but cant set it as default app to open pdf files.i have been in setting- default - "Choose Defaults by file type" ..., but there is no .pdf extension only .pdfxml right click on pdf file ---- NO OPTION TO CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMRight click pdf file -...
  4. Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default'

in Windows 10 Support
    Change a default file type back to 'Choose a default': WIN10, Version 2004, Build 19041-264 I have accidentally changed a file default and I want to change it back to 'Choose a default'. I have already tried 'reset' defaults but it will not change the default. Can you please help. 157993
  5. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  6. Changing Default Program for File Type

Changing Default Program for File Type: Hi, I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I had renamed it as a .pdf thinking the file is ready to read. Now, I want to change the file type default as nothing, so I can...
  7. Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb)

Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb): I had recently reinstalled Microsoft Windows 10 to try and fix the file associations. For the most part it fixed my issues. However, there is still one file association I have noticed that when trying to choose a default app by file type for (.laccdb) does not provide me the...
  8. Change default program for file types

Change default program for file types: I'm unable to change my default file type for .ini files, .md, etc. I'm trying to use Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. I've attempted it multiple times by going to the file and choosing the default as well as through Default Apps. Anyone know a fix for this? I'm on the...
  9. choose default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665
  10. Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst: I some how changed file type .dst to open with Corel Draw. I need to change it back to unknown application. I am operating with Windows 10. I have tried going through control panel/default programs/ however it forces me to pick an application, no option for "unknown...