Windows 10: Change a large number of shortcuts in Windows?

Discus and support Change a large number of shortcuts in Windows? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a time-saving trick to (automatically) change a larger number of file and folder shortcuts in Windows 10? The specific problem is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gummipunkt, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Change a large number of shortcuts in Windows?

Is there a time-saving trick to (automatically) change a larger number of file and folder shortcuts in Windows 10?

The specific problem is the following:

A large number of files are stored (in different subfolders) in a folder called for example " Cats and Dogs".

From various other locations on the drive, numerous (1000+) shortcuts point to the files and subfolders stored there.

But now the root folder is to be renamed and instead of " cats and dogs" only " cats" is to be named. But this would mean that all links would be lost and would not find their destination.

Do I really have to correct every link manually? Or is there a tool or another trick that allows me to replace the path component " cats and dogs" with " cats" in all links?

(To a lesser extent, I occasionally use a program called "Broken Shortcut Fixer", which is useful for detecting broken links. However, you have to fix them manually, which would be far too time-consuming for me with more than 1000 links ;-)

:)

Gummipunkt, Jun 26, 2020

2. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Is there any way to get the original icons to display again after the shortcuts are moved into a folder?

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Please be informed, the view of files, folders, shortcuts etc. will be set to small icons by default, due to which you will not be able to see the shortcut's icon.

I suggest you to follow these steps:

• Click on View
      menu in the menu bar.

• Select either of these options
      medium, large or extra-large icons and you will be able to see the icon of the shortcut.

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

Change a large number of shortcuts in Windows?

windows shortcuts

Hi,

This issue can be caused by conflicts with desktop icon size.

As an initial troubleshooting step, change the icon size by following the steps below:

• Right-click on your desktop screen.
    • Click View.
    • Switch from Medium icons to Small icons or
      Large icons
      to Small icons.
    • See if the box that circling the desktop shortcut will be gone.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Change a large number of shortcuts in Windows?

1. Change a large number of shortcuts in Windows? - Similar Threads - Change large number

2. Imaging and licensing large numbers of computers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Imaging and licensing large numbers of computers.: I am trying to find out if there is a more efficient way to image and license PC's outside of the way that I am doing it now. Any suggestions would be welcome.This is the scenario:My company receives large numbers of PC's directly from a manufacturer, we then need to install...
  3. Imaging and licensing large numbers of computers.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Imaging and licensing large numbers of computers.: I am trying to find out if there is a more efficient way to image and license PC's outside of the way that I am doing it now. Any suggestions would be welcome.This is the scenario:My company receives large numbers of PC's directly from a manufacturer, we then need to install...
  4. Imaging and licensing large numbers of computers.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows 11 updates failing for a large number of users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 updates failing for a large number of users: Why hasn’t Microsoft deployed a solution to this problem?I don’t have any problems updating my iPhone. Why does Microsoft let their customers flail around trying to fix this issue without access to the code or any real understanding of what’s causing the problem....
  6. Large number of empty folders in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Large number of empty folders in Windows 11: Why does Windows 11 and Windows 10} or the File Explorer create a large number of empty files in C:\user\kstor ?Why can the folder kstor not be renamed?...
  7. Large number of empty folders in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Large number of empty folders in Windows 11: Why does Windows 11 and Windows 10} or the File Explorer create a large number of empty files in C:\user\kstor ?Why can the folder kstor not be renamed?...
  8. A Windows service consuming a large number of system resources

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A Windows service consuming a large number of system resources: Greetings, A service in the task manager called "Antimalware service executable" As seen on the picture below I don`t know why this service is consuming so Ram in my systemm even when it is idle and now my system feels slow and unresponsive. i tried every fix on the internet...
  9. Windows + [number] shortcut not working as expected?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows + [number] shortcut not working as expected?: Hello! Just got a new computer and have a quick question. When I do Windows + [number] to go to an open program, if there are multiple windows of the program open (e.g., two separate Chrome instances) it shows those windows but does not bring any of them into foreground...
  10. Large icons for non-UWP shortcuts?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Large icons for non-UWP shortcuts?: Somewhat related to my other thread about getting a Desktop icon on the full-screen start menu, but sort-of not. I was experimenting with creating web shortcuts on the start menu that open with Internet Explorer rather than Edge (this was totally doable in Windows 8 using...