Windows 10: Change account name associated with Microsoft account

Discus and support Change account name associated with Microsoft account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just bought a new Dell XPS and when I signed in, I noticed the user path it gave me was "andre". I think I remember seeing this on my previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AndrewKoman, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Change account name associated with Microsoft account

I just bought a new Dell XPS and when I signed in, I noticed the user path it gave me was "andre". I think I remember seeing this on my previous laptop, but I don't remember how I fixed it. My microsoft account is under Andrew *Last Name* and my associated email is andrew.*last *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, so I have no idea how it came up with "andre". I could change the path using "net user", or editing the registry, but I would like to find a less sketchy solution for a brand new laptop, and one that would stop this in the future. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

AndrewKoman, Apr 30, 2021

2. Query about changing the account name

Hi Stephanie,

Since you have already changed the name on your Microsoft account, we suggest switching into a local account, and then log back in with your Microsoft account. This way, we can be sure that any changes made to your Microsoft account will be synced to your
    local user account.

For steps on how to switch to a local account:

• Click on Start.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Under Your account, click on Switch to a local account.

To switch back to a Microsoft account:

• Follow steps 1-3 above to get to Accounts.
    • Under Your account, click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.

If the issue persists, please do not hesitate to get back to us.

Patricia Yu, Apr 30, 2021
  3. Change Microsoft account

Hi,

Changing the email address attached to your gamertag will not affect your current game data. To change the email address associated to your gamertag, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on the link below.

How to change the email address associated with your Microsoft Account

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Wilfred Mac, Apr 30, 2021
  4. Change account name associated with Microsoft account

Cannot change account name?

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with the issue that you are facing.

I would like to ask you:

• Is your PC connected to a domain?
    • What all troubleshooting steps have you tried?

Since you have tried to change the name online as well, try to convert your account to a Local account from Microsoft account and then revert it to Microsoft Account.

• Open Start and go to Settings.
    • Go to User Accounts.
    • Disconnect from Microsoft Account.

Restart the PC and follow the same steps to connect to a Microsoft Account.

Let us know the results. Hope this information helps.

Sahil Bali, Apr 30, 2021
Thema:

Change account name associated with Microsoft account

1. Change account name associated with Microsoft account - Similar Threads - Change account name

2. Changing email associated with account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing email associated with account: What happens if I change my email address on my primary and only account? I’ve added and verified the new email, but I’m concerned that something unexpected might happen when I lose my current email I’ve no option to keep it as my ISP will delete it...
  3. Change email associated with Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change email associated with Microsoft account: Hi,Last night when logging on to my PC I accidentally clicked on 'forgot password'. There were no issues as I simply clicked cancel and continued. However, I did notice that the re-set information was going to be sent to an old email address that I no longer use and which...
  4. Change email associated with Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change email associated with Microsoft account: Hi,Last night when logging on to my PC I accidentally clicked on 'forgot password'. There were no issues as I simply clicked cancel and continued. However, I did notice that the re-set information was going to be sent to an old email address that I no longer use and which...
  5. Change email associated with Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. How to change the microsoft account associated with a machine?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change the microsoft account associated with a machine?: Hello. I am a recent graduate who built my computer about 2 years ago. Back then, I had microsoft office given by the school. Later I moved away and lost access to office, so in order to gain it back I used my parents' credentials. Since then, my entire user account on this...
  7. Changing Microsoft account associated with a profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing Microsoft account associated with a profile: My child somehow associated his Microsoft account from school with the main profile on our home PC and we can't figure out how to change/remove it. He's essentially taken over that profile. Any and all suggestions appreciated shy of saving local data wiping it....
  8. change local account username associated with a microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    change local account username associated with a microsoft account?: My first name is "Mathew". On all my windows 10 devices, I prefer to login using my microsoft account. (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) On all of these devices, the default local user name is always "mathe", missing the "w". My home directory is...
  9. Change Windows' username associated with a Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change Windows' username associated with a Microsoft account: Hello, I have some trouble to solve a misspelled username in Windows 10. I am referring to the username used for the user's home folder. This username seems to be recorded somewhere in your Microsoft account but I am not able to find a way to edit it. It is automatically...
  10. Change the Microsoft account associated with a logon?

in Windows 10 Support
    Change the Microsoft account associated with a logon?: So we setup a MS account for my daughter, using her email address, but accidentally put in my birthdate so it got created as an adult account. This means I can't add the account to my "Family" so I can setup parental controls. According to Microsoft, there is no way to change...