Windows 10: Change account without losing settings and programs

Discus and support Change account without losing settings and programs in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I bought a new laptop. My ‘old’ one, I will give to my sister. We just want to change the login (her name, email, password), but keep all the programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Heleen_1, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Heleen_1 Win User

Change account without losing settings and programs

I bought a new laptop. My ‘old’ one, I will give to my sister. We just want to change the login (her name, email, password), but keep all the programs and settings already installed on the current account. How can we keep everything and just change the user?

Thank you in advance!

:)

Heleen_1, Mar 18, 2019

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 18, 2019
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Mar 18, 2019
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Change account without losing settings and programs - Similar Threads - Change account without

2. Changing account user without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing account user without losing data: Hi, I am setting up parental controls on my sons laptop which is currently logged in under my account as administrator. I would like to set him up with his own account, but need to keep everything downloaded on the laptop, such as games, settings etc. Can you please advise...
  3. Changing account user without losing data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing account user without losing data: Hi, I am setting up parental controls on my sons laptop which is currently logged in under my account as administrator. I would like to set him up with his own account, but need to keep everything downloaded on the laptop, such as games, settings etc. Can you please advise...
  4. Changing account user without losing data

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Changing MS account without losing email data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing MS account without losing email data: I'm not even sure how to phrase my question. My intent is to change my MS subscription from one account to another - thereby nulifying my Skype account under the existing name. How do I transfer my current MS account say, *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to a new...
  6. Changing MS account without losing email data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing MS account without losing email data: I'm not even sure how to phrase my question. My intent is to change my MS subscription from one account to another - thereby nulifying my Skype account under the existing name. How do I transfer my current MS account say, *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to a new...
  7. Change windows account without losing settings

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change windows account without losing settings: HiI want to change my account on windows 10 to my child’s account but wish to keep all settings, programs, interface and data same as my account. I have created a new account in my family, gave this new account admin rights on laptop but yet when I switch user, all settings...
  8. Set default program without changing filetype icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set default program without changing filetype icon: Does anyone know a method to set a default app (e.g., make PDF open with Sumatra PDF) while still retaining the custom .ico I have set for that file extension? I am using IconPackager, but have also tried using FileTypesMan. The filetype still shows the defaults app icon even...
  9. Change email connected to microsoft account or change microsoft account without losing data

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change email connected to microsoft account or change microsoft account without losing data: Hi, I'm trying to change the microsoft account on my son's computer to be a child account under my name. I noticed I have two adult accounts in my own name so changed one of them into my son's name and age and it was made a child account. Whenever I try to enter that...
  10. How to change microsoft accounts without losing data.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change microsoft accounts without losing data.: I want to change from a parents account to my account without losing any of my saved data on my drive, how would i do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-microsoft-accounts-without-losing/9c20aabb-94fb-4045-b01b-36860bd7d8ca"