Windows 10: Change an outlook file association

Discus and support Change an outlook file association in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I accidentally opened an outlook file *** Email address is removed for privacy *** with Adobe acrobat and it changed the file association to open only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by louislucchi, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Change an outlook file association

I accidentally opened an outlook file *** Email address is removed for privacy *** with Adobe acrobat and it changed the file association to open only with acrobat. I have tried to change it back to open with outlook but outlook says it cannot use that file type. How can I change the outlook file now associated with PDF back to an outlook file?

:)

louislucchi, Jul 26, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Outlook PST File Problem

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Export everything to another PST file, delete the old(or rather move it out of the default folder) and replace it with the new PST file that you exported.

newtekie1, Jul 26, 2020
  3. Change file association back to unknown program in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1) Create a new file with any extension and save it on any location.

2) Next Open Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the default programs icon.

3) Click/tap on the Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    link.

4) Either double click/tap on the file extension or protocol, or click/tap on the file extension or protocol and click/tap on the
    Change Program button of the one you want to change the "current default' program association of.

5) If the program you want to associate is not listed, then click/tap on the
    More Options
    link if available.

6) Click/tap on a listed program that you want to associate.

7) If you associated a program, then you will see this below as "Set Associations" updates and reloads.

8) Once it is done go back to the file which you have created and delete the file.

9) Go to default programs and refresh the set association programs. It should show as other unknown.

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Change an outlook file association

Remove (not change) file extension association

I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ??

This user was very helpful (How to UNSET/REMOVE a default app for file type).

I took the suggested steps above and it removed the association but didn't return it to "Choose a default" ... this has caused a thumbnail app to work for every file EXCEPT the ones i mistakenly associated, then did the work around on. This is affecting
    productivity as I'm working with over 1,000 files (and growing). Since 145 people said they had the same question, please Microsoft, can you answer or solve this problem? Please help. Thanks.

PaperSavvy, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

Change an outlook file association

1. Change an outlook file association - Similar Threads - Change outlook file

2. Outlook Express dbx file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Outlook Express dbx file association: In trying to open an old Outlook Express DBX file, I inadvertently selected always open .dbx files with Notepad.How can I undo that association, and then how can I open .dbx files ?Thanks,...
  3. Outlook Express dbx file association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook Express dbx file association: In trying to open an old Outlook Express DBX file, I inadvertently selected always open .dbx files with Notepad.How can I undo that association, and then how can I open .dbx files ?Thanks,...
  4. Outlook Express dbx file association

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Edge changing association for files

Microsoft Edge changing association for files: Microsoft Edge is GARBAGEWARE. I need to permanently destroy it. It keeps taking over JPGs, PDFs, and many other file types, without my permission. It REALLY SUCKS BIG TIME. ***Modified title from: How do I PERMANENTLY DESTROY Microsoft Edge?***...
  6. cannot change file association

cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  7. cannot change file association

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  8. Changing file association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing file association: Adobe acrobat reader is associated with ascm files. I need to change the association so that I can open an ascm file with Adobe digital reader so that I can read a book. Thanks...
  9. Mass Change File Association

Mass Change File Association: Hi, I would like to change all file types that are handled by notepad to notepad++. How do I accomplish this without clicking manually? Maybe by changing via the registry? Henry 69414
  10. file association change

file association change: v 1607 just installed, Microsoft keeps wanting to change from libre office to wordpad, win patrol cancels it but it keeps trying to change file association how do I stop taht 63644