Windows 10: Change appearance of desktop files and folders

Discus and support Change appearance of desktop files and folders in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi community, I recently resented my PC and now the desktop icons appear more narrow then before. The problem is not the size. I attached the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by VictorBistritzki, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Change appearance of desktop files and folders

Hi community,

I recently resented my PC and now the desktop icons appear more narrow then before.

The problem is not the size. I attached the appearance of how it is at the moment (narrow) and how it was used to be (desired).

Please let me know how this can be changed as I did not find any answers online.

Thanks

Narrow:

Change appearance of desktop files and folders 8035678e-6863-4b9f-8f29-0d64f331da5d?upload=true.png

Desired:

Change appearance of desktop files and folders 3f77a5d6-2369-4860-9f2e-c5e2e558ee2d?upload=true.png

:)

VictorBistritzki, Oct 1, 2018

2. Windows 10 - Icons appear on Desktop but not Desktop Folder

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that desktop icon shortcuts does not appear in the Desktop folder in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope the above information was helpful. if you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 1, 2018
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Oct 1, 2018
  4. Change appearance of desktop files and folders

How to make a Uber Hidden Folder

• Make a new folder.
    • Change the icon to a blank icon. No icon should appear
    • Rename the folder to a blank by pressing "alt + 255." (NOTE: Press 255 on the numpad) No text should appear.
    • Your done! It is uber hidden. *Big Grin Change appearance of desktop files and folders :D

PVTCaboose1337, Oct 1, 2018
Thema:

Change appearance of desktop files and folders

1. Change appearance of desktop files and folders - Similar Threads - Change appearance desktop

2. Files don't appear in folder upon change in the folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files don't appear in folder upon change in the folder: When I create a new file in a folder, it doesn't appear in the folder.I have to refresh the folder for the file to show up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-dont-appear-in-folder-upon-change-in-the/4dfe9904-c46d-4add-9f49-4b1f47b96472
  3. Files don't appear in folder upon change in the folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files don't appear in folder upon change in the folder: When I create a new file in a folder, it doesn't appear in the folder.I have to refresh the folder for the file to show up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-dont-appear-in-folder-upon-change-in-the/4dfe9904-c46d-4add-9f49-4b1f47b96472
  4. User's Desktop folder in Windows 11; files not appearing on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User's Desktop folder in Windows 11; files not appearing on desktop: New Windows 11 user and computer here. Backed up all my files from Win10 computer to Dropbox; I don't want to use OneDrive. OneDrive installed on the new computer setup. I deleted OneDrive from Add/Remove Programs. I saw the OneDrive folder still in my profile and deleted it...
  5. User's Desktop folder in Windows 11; files not appearing on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User's Desktop folder in Windows 11; files not appearing on desktop: New Windows 11 user and computer here. Backed up all my files from Win10 computer to Dropbox; I don't want to use OneDrive. OneDrive installed on the new computer setup. I deleted OneDrive from Add/Remove Programs. I saw the OneDrive folder still in my profile and deleted it...
  6. Libraries folder appearing on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Libraries folder appearing on desktop: Hello, The "Libraries" folder randomly appeared on my desktop with no option to be removed. Additionally, it is not appearing in the folder "Desktop. " How do I remove this folder? Thank you....
  7. Libraries folder appearing on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Libraries folder appearing on desktop: Hello, The "Libraries" folder randomly appeared on my desktop with no option to be removed. Additionally, It is not appearing in the folder "Desktop. " How do I remove this folder? Thank you....
  8. Pictures Folder Appearing on Desktop

Pictures Folder Appearing on Desktop: For some reason a folder named “Pictures” (path C;\Users\Jolene\Desktop) comes up when I startup. I then delete it and in the course of a day it just appears 4 or 5 more times. In the folder, there is a "Saved Pictures" folder that is empty. Why is this happening? Thank...
  9. Change Folders appearance

Change Folders appearance: What is the best way to change folder appearance, I want a new look in my files and folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-folders-appearance/162e1fd9-d667-4164-8ad6-7fd2efa1a2da"
  10. desktop files/folders don't automatically appear anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop files/folders don't automatically appear anymore: The thread title says it all. In order to get my desktop files and folders to appear I have to right click and go to View. Most of the time the files/folders will then appear. Sometimes I have to also go down to "Show desktop icons" before they appear. But previously they...