Windows 10: Change boot back from efi to mbr

Discus and support Change boot back from efi to mbr in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A quick explenation to my problem, so I formated a drive with an old windows installation on it (not the one qurently in use) and it hade my boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tobbeth, Jan 30, 2020.

1. tobbeth Win User

Change boot back from efi to mbr

A quick explenation to my problem, so I formated a drive with an old windows installation on it (not the one qurently in use) and it hade my boot records on it, so I got the error bootmgr missing. So a bit panicked I used the first solution witch was "bcdboot c:\windows /s h:" from the command prompt from a USB with a windows ISO on it. That fixed it and I could now boot in to windows and everyting worked.

But this made it so i'm booting with EFI insted of MBR. So i'm booting with a boot option on my H: drive witch is not my windows instalation drive witch is C:. The C: drive is MBR and the H: drive is GPT. Is there a way to fix it so that I can choose my C: drive in the bios to boot from. So remove the efi and use mbr instead.

:)

tobbeth, Jan 30, 2020
  2. Word Man Win User

Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?

What you say is true enough. However, creating the EFI partition is covered in his step number 3.

Word Man, Jan 30, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User

@Mystere
    Sorry but did you read the steps I posted ?. What do you mean by: It may boot up, but won't be EFI ? How else does it boot up with a GPT disk ? Here's the screen shot

Change boot back from efi to mbr [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jan 30, 2020
  4. Change boot back from efi to mbr

Your method did not work for me when converting my current Windows 8 MBR disk, however I did come out knowing how to create Windows PE 5.0 Rescue disk using Macrium after reading your post though.

urbanman2004, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

Change boot back from efi to mbr

1. Change boot back from efi to mbr - Similar Threads - Change boot efi

2. "No Boot Device Found" after converting MBR to GPT disk and "roll back" to MBR

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "No Boot Device Found" after converting MBR to GPT disk and "roll back" to MBR: Hello, everyone. I was wondering if there's a way to fix the "No boot device found. Press any key to reboot..." In upper lines it says, "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable." When I enter BIOS, the hard disk isn't showing blank. However, when I run tests on Diagnostics,...
  3. Changing Boot Drive from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Boot Drive from MBR to GPT: After failing the Win11 check due to my boot drive being MBR, i've read so much on changing my drive to GPT (I use UEFI BIOS already). The MBR2GPT tool on Windows fails as it says it can't create an EFI partition. I'm assuming now that I can't change my boot drive from MBR to...
  4. "Windows" or "EFI boot" ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Windows" or "EFI boot" ?: I used to run only Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro 13" mid 2012 non-retina. Today I upgraded to an SSD and though of doing a fresh install of windows. I made a bootable usb through media creation tool. Now, when I installed my ssd and plugged in the usb, it showed me two options...
  5. changing drives from mbr to gpt problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    changing drives from mbr to gpt problems: hi really after my previous question i find out my pc's only problem is when i try to shutdown or restart or sleep or even when windows get a problem and wanna restart its self cant do it i remember while installing my windows i had the problem but not in my previous...
  6. changing a disk drive from mbr to gpt

changing a disk drive from mbr to gpt: If you have Windows 10 loaded on an MBR disk drive can that drive be changed to a GPT disk drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-disk-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt/f52734b1-dc31-4705-9cdb-982cc13c9662
  7. Problem with W10 Install - EFI,GPT,MBR Issue

Problem with W10 Install - EFI,GPT,MBR Issue: trying to install windows 10 on a laptop that previously had w7 i booted off the usb created by the media creation tool wiped the partition that i wanted to install w10 on and then..... got the attached error stated I cannot install w10 on this never seen this before and...
  8. Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?: I've just recently re-installed Windows on my laptop. I had the hard drive set to a GPT format disk since my system supports and previously used UEFI boot, but this install wouldn't allow it so I just went to MBR again.. Is there a way to convert the currently MBR type...
  9. How to go back to orginal boot MBR

in Windows 10 Support
    How to go back to orginal boot MBR: I took a look at EasyBCD and played with it enough to use it's boot menu. Big mistake. How can I rid of the BCD stuff added and go back to the original boot menu (MBR?). They apparently do not visit their forum or no one knows how to do this. OH yeah, I learned that an backup...
  10. MBR/EFI Install

MBR/EFI Install: Trying to get things going for new motherboard. I am at the point where I click "INSTALL" Get an error that says, Windows cannot be installed to this disk (SSD). Selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT Disks. *Sad Do I...