Windows 10: Change command prompt default directory

Discus and support Change command prompt default directory in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I change the command prompt's default directory in Windows 10? I see instructions in Sevenforums to do this in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by gogreen, Jun 30, 2016.

1. gogreen Win User

Change command prompt default directory

How do I change the command prompt's default directory in Windows 10? I see instructions in Sevenforums to do this in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10. Will the Windows 7 instructions work in Windows 10?

:)

gogreen, Jun 30, 2016

2. Disk locked while installing 14257

You should be at the prompt when you open Admin Command Prompt, or the booted installation or repair media's Command Prompt. Nothing was said about Changing Directory.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 30, 2016
  3. my .jar file opens as internet explorer

... you seem fairly new to all this...

Are you running the command from the directory containing the JAR file in question? It doesn't just know where every file is on your computer, you either have to have the desired file path in your default PATH variables OR you have to be in the directory
    containing the file in question when you want to run it.

In other words...

If the "minecraft_server.1.12.2.jar" is stored in the "C:\USERS\JHammer\Downloads" folder, then you must open the command prompt and change into that folder (CD \USERS\JHammer\Downloads) so that the active/current directory in the command line is shown as
    the proper one and then you run the command.

This is NOT a Windows issue.

Shenan Stanley, Jun 30, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, Jun 30, 2016
  5. gogreen Win User
    Thanks, topgundcp. I had to work a bit on the syntax *Wink, but it worked! This worked for me:

cmd /K cd C:\Users\[my selected user name]

gogreen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change command prompt default directory - Similar Threads - Change command prompt

2. Unable to access directories via Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to access directories via Command Prompt: I need to use Command Prompt, but when I add the directory, I get this error: 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I've made sure C:\Windows\32 is included in the Environment Variables under "Path", but I can't...
  3. Command Prompt Name Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt Name Change: Hello, I've been searching the internet for results and I can't seem to get a clear answer. I'm looking to change the name I don't know what else to call it that appears in the Command Prompt once you open it. When you first open CMD it looks a lot like: C:\Users\*name*>...
  4. Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt

Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt: Having problem installing updates windows 10 64bit - version 2004 -- need to access command prompt as an Administrator to try to fix. Any ideas ?...
  5. How to change Directory in Command Prompt on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Directory in Command Prompt on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows Command Prompt is a great built-in tool that allows you to run programs using the command-line option. Using the command, you can perform a […] This article How to change Directory in Command Prompt on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  6. Wrong/Repeated/Changed Directory Name in Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong/Repeated/Changed Directory Name in Command Prompt: In using the directory command on a 4tb USB external drive the following occurred. the Directory on Windows Explorer (GUI) is: d:/Backups/Documents/…. In CMD, entering "Dir d:/backups " lists all the other directories in the folder except "Documents" but there is a...
  7. Command Prompt not opening. Clicking on Command Prompt opens the default folder location in...

Command Prompt not opening. Clicking on Command Prompt opens the default folder location in...: Hi, I'm using windows 10. I have no idea why my command prompt is not launching properly and is instead opening up the default folder in File Explorer i.e. File Explorer is opening up in the command prompt default start up folder. Please help. FYI. I recently downloaded...
  8. Creating a shared directory on the network using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating a shared directory on the network using the command prompt: Hi I have Windows 10 v1703 Enterprise 64 bit with the Microsoft accounts. Wanting to create a shared directory on the network using the command prompt, in an administrative account I ran the Command Prompt (as administrator) and I run the following commands: Code:...
  9. Command Prompt Experimental changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt Experimental changes: Anyone figured out a use for the Opacity setting for Command Prompt on the Experimental tab? I've tried it at many different settings and I just can't see a use for it. 2127
  10. Change PowerShell To Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Change PowerShell To Command Prompt: How do you change from PowerShell to Command Prompt using file explorer ? 104838

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change command prompt default directory

2. change default directory in command prompt admin