Windows 10: Change default app with regedit or bat

Discus and support Change default app with regedit or bat in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; We have a gpo which sets the default app for pdf's, we do not want to change this, except for when a user runs a bat script without admin rights. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Questionmark070, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Change default app with regedit or bat

We have a gpo which sets the default app for pdf's, we do not want to change this, except for when a user runs a bat script without admin rights.

I have been trying to make a .bat file that would change the default pdf program to reader with;

ftype AcroExch.Document.DC="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1"

(Running this with either cmd (privileged) or .bat does not work)

Users can change default app within the settings of Windows without privileged rights, but they are required a elevated cmd to run the bat script (which does not work).

My last resort would be; to either set default app within regedit (which the gpo hopefully can't change back)

Would be grateful for any help!

submitted by /u/Questionmark070
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Questionmark070, Jul 21, 2020

2. Updating .bat File, Removing Default Apps

Hi SightUp.

Don't have a bat file but step 4 in Option 2 will give you complete list and you can mod yours.

Uninstall Apps in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 21, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Change default app with regedit or bat [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Change default app with regedit or bat [​IMG]

4. iamTin Win User

Change default app with regedit or bat

How to fix/restore regedit to default?

Hello. I need help how to restore regedit back to its default settings.

I didn't know registry editor is very sensitive that a small change can have huge impact on my computer's functionality.

So here's what happened, I was trying to fix a different issue (can't run a specific .exe file) when I bumped into one of the suggested fix (making some small change in regedit)

So I was trying to follow step from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/2688326/can-t-open-exe-files-in-windows-7-or-windows-vista

[*]Click the Startbutton and type regedit in the Search box
    [*]Right-click Regedit.exe in the returned list and click Run as administrator
    [*]Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe

[*]With .exe selected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…
    [*]Change the Value data: to exefile
    [*]Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile

[*]With exefileselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…
    [*]Change the Value data: to "%1" %* (THIS IS WHERE I MADE A MISTAKE)
    [*]Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open

[*]With openselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…
    [*]Change the Value data: to "%1" %*
    [*]Close the Registry Editor and restart your PC

Now, I can't open regedit.exe or any .exe files.

I'm getting the error: Windows can't opent this file

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

iamTin, Jul 21, 2020
Thema:

Change default app with regedit or bat

1. Change default app with regedit or bat - Similar Threads - Change default app

2. help how to change default .exe regedit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    help how to change default .exe regedit: so i just running .exe regedit from this website https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-restore-default-file-type-associations-windows-10-a.html the file format is exe.reg ,after running this , ican't run scrcpy android screen to windows please help...
  3. help how to change default .exe regedit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    help how to change default .exe regedit: so i just running .exe regedit from this website https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-restore-default-file-type-associations-windows-10-a.html the file format is exe.reg ,after running this , ican't run scrcpy android screen to windows please help...
  4. help how to change default .exe regedit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to change the default WordPad font using regedit

How to change the default WordPad font using regedit: WordPad comes with Calibri font size 11 by default. There are many work-arounds available online to change the font, but I would like to see a tutorial with a step-by-step fool-proof regedit procedure with screenshots as Brink does so masterfully. 178513
  6. Adding the extra default apps to the .bat file.

Adding the extra default apps to the .bat file.: I have brought this up before. The present .bat commands are incomplete. I just reinstalled Windows 10 so I took a picture to show how I know and what I'd like to see updated, a before and after picture using CCleaner as it shows and allows you to uninstall what we cannot on...
  7. Change Regedit "*.reg" default from Merge to Edit

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Regedit "*.reg" default from Merge to Edit: After upgrading to Win10, the default action for *.reg moved to "Merge" (in Win8 I had set it to "Edit", but don't recall how). What's the trick? If I associate *.reg with Notepad, I totally lose the "merge" capability in the context menu, so that's not the answer... I want...
  8. Regedit Defaults

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Regedit Defaults: Hello, i recently changed a few settings in regedit after been recommended. I have removed the restore point *Mad I'm looking for every default setting in Multimedia folder. In total 11 folders. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1803. OS build: 17143.753...
  9. Updating .bat File, Removing Default Apps

Updating .bat File, Removing Default Apps: I haven't reinstalled Windows 10 or updated it in about a year. When I did, there were several new apps that are completely junk. I have a .bat file that I use to clean stuff up but it's a little outdated and I had to go into the Start menu and uninstall a few apps by hand....
  10. regedit changes

in Windows 10 Support
    regedit changes: Made a change in HKLM, so that my numloc keys worked on start-up, previous version. Upgraded via update to 10166, Be advised for this change to become effective had to restart comp again. I know its SOP for reg changes but, on an upgrade. SO if you've made any changes...