Windows 10: Change Default Application

Discus and support Change Default Application in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I change the default application that opens a particular file type?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BRUCE ANDERSON_966, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Change Default Application

How do I change the default application that opens a particular file type?

:)

BRUCE ANDERSON_966, Apr 15, 2020
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Change Default Application

photo viewer default application not able to change

Hai,

I have installed Paint.net some time ago. After that my default application change to that program. Whatever I had tried to change it back to the Photo Viewer, nothing is happening.

After I go to System -> Default applications and change application for Photos, my desktop refresh and that's it. Anything else. Paint.net is still default. I even uninstalled Paint.net, but the situation
    is the same. The only difference is that Paint is not more listed, but "unknown application".

I tried with right-click on photos and Open with... option, but the result was the same. Desktop refresh, and default app remain the same.

What I can do to change default Photo viewer?

SK.

SasikumarThangavel, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Change Default Application

1. Change Default Application - Similar Threads - Change Default Application

2. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  3. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  4. DEFAULT APPLICATION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DEFAULT APPLICATION: Hi ,I have only 1 chrome and only 1 microsoft edge still it is showing this . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-application/2a6d6d5c-b761-4da1-86c3-7ec5bc1b53fe
  5. Default Applications

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default Applications: When I try to choose default applications by file type, WinAmp is not an option. How do I associate WinAmp to mp3? Thanks! Vers. 1909 [img] 165806
  6. Cannot change Default Applications [TWINUI]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change Default Applications [TWINUI]: Hello, I work in IT and I have a user who cannot change the default applications in windows settings. The Computer has already been re-imaged and is still having the same problem. I spoke with the computer manufacturer and they said that I would need to speak with...
  7. Unable to change the default application .JAR files use.

Unable to change the default application .JAR files use.: [ATTACH] Currently, I'm unable to change the default application used to start/open JAR files. The option is simply greyed out on my device, and attempting to click on it redirects me to the Microsoft Store to try and download another application. I have multiple versions...
  8. Default applications - not changing

Default applications - not changing: Default applications are not changing in app properties, but in the windows default app settings they are being saved. However, the files still open with their default assigned apps, which is usually not set....
  9. photo viewer default application not able to change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    photo viewer default application not able to change: Hai, I have installed Paint.net some time ago. After that my default application change to that program. Whatever I had tried to change it back to the Photo Viewer, nothing is happening. After I go to System -> Default applications and change application for Photos, my...
  10. Any way to change default font used in applications?

Any way to change default font used in applications?: I hate MS Sans Serif and many programs use that as the default font for text boxes and labels - including Winaero Tweaker. I have already changed all my system fonts using Winaero Tweaker, yet these are still the same. Does anyone know a way to change the default font...