Windows 10: Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut)

Discus and support Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'd been using this method on Windows 7: Windows Explorer Taskbar Icon - Change Open To Target And I take it that this is how it's done in 8: File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Michael, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Michael Win User

Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut)

Michael, Jul 30, 2015

2. Change taskbar icon?

You can change the icons for Pinned taskbar shortcuts from this folder:

%Appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

(Type that in Explorer address bar, or Run dialog.)

For Windows installer shortcuts the target can't be changed. In that case, you need to delete the existing shortcut and create a new shortcut for that program manually, and then Pin it to Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 30, 2015
  3. How do I pin a folder to taskbar in Windows 10

Option 1: Create a custom Taskbar Toolbar, pointing to a folder that contains the shortcuts.

Option 2: Pin an executable, say notepad to Taskbar. Then open this folder:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Right-click the Notepad shortcut Properties and change the target to a folder path.

Click OK. The taskbar icon wouldn't update immediately.

Option 3 (Easiest): Create a desktop shortcut to the folder you want to Pin to Taskbar. Target should be prefixed by explorer.exe. (say explorer.exe d:\mytools)

Right-click on the shortcut and Pin to Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Michael,

Yes, you can use the same method for 8 in 10. *Smile

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Michael Win User
    I just tried it, and it's not really the same thing as in Windows 7. It's acts as a separate shortcut from the program itself, in that when you click on it, the shortcut doesn't "transform" into an instance of the program, but rather, stays put while a separate instance opens elsewhere on the taskbar (a la Quick Launch Bar).

I don't suppose you know of a more comprehensive hack – maybe even one that would affect Win+E as well?

It would sure be nice to have this as an official option for Explorer.

Michael, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Kapoios Win User
    Hi, same "problem" here. When i make new shortcut for download folder with *explorer* and *space* in front of the path name, right click on folder and pin to taskbar, when the download folder opened at the same time opened another folder (separate) "this pc" and i don't know why. This happens on W8.1 not on W7.

On W7 it's very simple. I have try many methods, but none of them work.Have any idea of how?

Thank you.

Kapoios, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut) - Similar Threads - Change default Explorer

2. Change default folder Explorer opens up when pinned to taskbar Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default folder Explorer opens up when pinned to taskbar Windows 11: I want to have the icon for Explorer on my taskbar, open up to my D partition where my documents are. I see from this article how to get it pinned to the start menu, and have it open up to D from the icon in my start menu. But after pinning explorer to my taskbar, it reverts...
  3. Change default folder Explorer opens up when pinned to taskbar Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default folder Explorer opens up when pinned to taskbar Windows 11: I want to have the icon for Explorer on my taskbar, open up to my D partition where my documents are. I see from this article how to get it pinned to the start menu, and have it open up to D from the icon in my start menu. But after pinning explorer to my taskbar, it reverts...
  4. reordering pinned taskbar shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reordering pinned taskbar shortcuts: I have 4 word documents pinned to the taskbar shortcut menu - when I right-click the word tab on the taskbar, they pop up along with recently used Word files. Is there any way to reorder the pinned files?...
  5. reordering pinned taskbar shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reordering pinned taskbar shortcuts: I have 4 word documents pinned to the taskbar shortcut menu - when I right-click the word tab on the taskbar, they pop up along with recently used Word files. Is there any way to reorder the pinned files?...
  6. reordering pinned taskbar shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Pinned shortcuts to taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pinned shortcuts to taskbar: Hi, Shortcuts pinned to Edge and Excel on tasksbar in Windows 10 cannot be moved up and down with the mouse like I used to in Windows 7. Is this no longer possible in Windows 10 or do I have an error or setting that can be fixed? If so any suggestions are welcome....
  8. Location of File Explorer's pinned shortcuts in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Location of File Explorer's pinned shortcuts in Taskbar: I am looking for the location of the list of pinned File Explorer shortcuts on the Taskbar. When any of the pinned Taskbar programs are right-clicked, a list of "Recent" items appears. If any of those are pinned, a list above "Recent" appears called "Pinned". I am looking...
  9. Pinned folders in taskbar opens CMD in default?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned folders in taskbar opens CMD in default?: When I left click the folders in taskbar, for example, "Downloads" from the Library then the CMD shows up for half a second and disappears, it's fine when I double click the folders from the Windows Explorer window itself, but not in taskbar. Any ideas? 109404
  10. Pin shortcut to Sound to taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcut to Sound to taskbar: I have a shortcut to ControlPanel/Sound: %windir%\system32\mmsys.cpl which I'd like to pin to the taskbar. The open window has no pin option. I tried dragging mmsys.cpl to the tasbar, which created a pinned icon but the icon brings up the Default programs window, not sound....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change default folder on windows task bar