Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut)

Discus and support Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'd been using this method on Windows 7: Windows Explorer Taskbar Icon - Change Open To Target And I take it that this is how it's done in 8: File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Michael, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Michael Win User

Michael, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan Win User

Change taskbar icon?

You can change the icons for Pinned taskbar shortcuts from this folder:

%Appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

(Type that in Explorer address bar, or Run dialog.)

For Windows installer shortcuts the target can't be changed. In that case, you need to delete the existing shortcut and create a new shortcut for that program manually, and then Pin it to Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan Win User
    How do I pin a folder to taskbar in Windows 10

Option 1: Create a custom Taskbar Toolbar, pointing to a folder that contains the shortcuts.

Option 2: Pin an executable, say notepad to Taskbar. Then open this folder:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Right-click the Notepad shortcut Properties and change the target to a folder path.

Click OK. The taskbar icon wouldn't update immediately.

Option 3 (Easiest): Create a desktop shortcut to the folder you want to Pin to Taskbar. Target should be prefixed by explorer.exe. (say explorer.exe d:\mytools)

Right-click on the shortcut and Pin to Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Michael,

Yes, you can use the same method for 8 in 10. *Smile

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Michael Win User
    I just tried it, and it's not really the same thing as in Windows 7. It's acts as a separate shortcut from the program itself, in that when you click on it, the shortcut doesn't "transform" into an instance of the program, but rather, stays put while a separate instance opens elsewhere on the taskbar (a la Quick Launch Bar).

I don't suppose you know of a more comprehensive hack – maybe even one that would affect Win+E as well?

It would sure be nice to have this as an official option for Explorer.

Michael, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Kapoios Win User
    Hi, same "problem" here. When i make new shortcut for download folder with *explorer* and *space* in front of the path name, right click on folder and pin to taskbar, when the download folder opened at the same time opened another folder (separate) "this pc" and i don't know why. This happens on W8.1 not on W7.

On W7 it's very simple. I have try many methods, but none of them work.Have any idea of how?

Thank you.

Kapoios, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut) - Similar Threads - Change default Explorer

2. Mobile Sharepoint online Color Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mobile Sharepoint online Color Change: Hi. My clients use their iPAD and iPhone a lot and right now the various Communication sites in Sharepoint Online I have created are all uniform on the desktop but on mobile the background show up as a wide range of colors (pink, purple, green and there seems to be no...
  3. Windows 10 language change to complete English

Windows 10 language change to complete English: Hey! So I bought a computer with pre installed Windows 10 and it had local language set up as default. Of course I changed the language immediately to Enlgish as it is the one I prefer and comprehend best. Unfortunately some of the programs and microsoft applications are...
  4. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...
  5. PIN NUMBERS

PIN NUMBERS: Please advise me how to disable my PIN number so I can enter my computer without it. I use Windows 10. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/pin-numbers/898053ad-1947-4f52-9312-13bb5b23cbfe
  6. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...
  7. Windows 10 Shared Folder Not Showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Shared Folder Not Showing: I worked around this with a hyperlink on another computer using Windows 10 that I have now deactivated, now have a new computer and am having the same issue. I have used troubleshooters and explored old posts and tried most even going into run - Function Discovery Resource...
  8. Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot!

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot!: I tried deleting (after copying it to another location) the %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps folder in order to perform a system restore. The restore point gave me an WindowsApps error, so I searched the internet and found several workarounds consisting on deleting or renaming that...
  9. WINDOWS 10 TASKBAR

WINDOWS 10 TASKBAR: I have set up my Windows 10 taskbar in two rows at the bottom of the screen with a row of icons at the top. The row below it shows programs which are open. I want to switch rows, so that the open program row is above the taskbar icons. I've unlocked the task bar, and...
  10. Taskbar.

Taskbar.: So every few windows updates the clock on my taskbar goes black. by it going black i mean the font color turns black and the taskbar being black makes it impossible to read. does anyone have a fix for this ? ive looked for ages but i havent found anything. maybe im using the...