Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut)

Discus and support Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut) in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I'd been using this method on Windows 7: Windows Explorer Taskbar Icon - Change Open To Target And I take it that this is how it's done in 8: File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Michael, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Michael Win User
    Michael, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan Win User

Change taskbar icon?

You can change the icons for Pinned taskbar shortcuts from this folder:

%Appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

(Type that in Explorer address bar, or Run dialog.)

For Windows installer shortcuts the target can't be changed. In that case, you need to delete the existing shortcut and create a new shortcut for that program manually, and then Pin it to Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan Win User
    How do I pin a folder to taskbar in Windows 10

Option 1: Create a custom Taskbar Toolbar, pointing to a folder that contains the shortcuts.

Option 2: Pin an executable, say notepad to Taskbar. Then open this folder:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Right-click the Notepad shortcut Properties and change the target to a folder path.

Click OK. The taskbar icon wouldn't update immediately.

Option 3 (Easiest): Create a desktop shortcut to the folder you want to Pin to Taskbar. Target should be prefixed by explorer.exe. (say explorer.exe d:\mytools)

Right-click on the shortcut and Pin to Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Michael,

Yes, you can use the same method for 8 in 10. *Smile

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Michael Win User
    I just tried it, and it's not really the same thing as in Windows 7. It's acts as a separate shortcut from the program itself, in that when you click on it, the shortcut doesn't "transform" into an instance of the program, but rather, stays put while a separate instance opens elsewhere on the taskbar (a la Quick Launch Bar).

I don't suppose you know of a more comprehensive hack – maybe even one that would affect Win+E as well?

It would sure be nice to have this as an official option for Explorer.

Michael, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Kapoios Win User
    Hi, same "problem" here. When i make new shortcut for download folder with *explorer* and *space* in front of the path name, right click on folder and pin to taskbar, when the download folder opened at the same time opened another folder (separate) "this pc" and i don't know why. This happens on W8.1 not on W7.

On W7 it's very simple. I have try many methods, but none of them work.Have any idea of how?

Thank you.

Kapoios, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut) - Similar Threads - Change default Explorer

1. Changing Default Background Color for File Explorer and Applicaions

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Default Background Color for File Explorer and Applicaions: Good Afternoon, I have moved from FreeBSD to Win 10. The glaring white of the aforementioned objects is really painful to my old eyes. I cannot find references on Google about how to change this. I found one post that alleges this obnoxious color was hard coded. Can...
  2. Changing Explorer Default Action

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Explorer Default Action: For htm files, the default windows action is Open. Click on it and it opens the file in your browser. Problem is I don't want to do this. I want to edit the htm file, but I can't seem to find anything to change the default. This doesn't seem to be an option anywhere. I could...
  3. Wordpad default hilight colors - how to change them ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Wordpad default hilight colors - how to change them ?: Hello, Wordpad has "horrible" default hilight colors (too vivid for my eyes)... And I would like to change them to a set of less vivid colors. The program does not allow to change the default hilight colors, at least in a simple way. Could anyone help me to force...
  4. USB default ICON has changed in Explorer - how to get it back?

in Windows 10 Support
    USB default ICON has changed in Explorer - how to get it back?: Hello. After a crash while updating, and a "windows 10 selfrepair", my Windows now seens to run okay again. Execpt when I put an USB stick in the PC it has an icon for a DVD?? It is not a specific USB-stick. Any USB-stick shows up as a DVD in Explorer and in TotalCommander....
  5. Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List"

in Windows 10 Support
    Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List": Hi all, I have been searching the web for an answer to this question since first getting Windows 10 last year. I would like my File Explorer to open using the "List" view rather than the current default of "Details". I have seen many responses that reference how to change...
  6. Changing default Date column in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default Date column in File Explorer: One change I dislike in Win 10 is the 'Date' column. This seems to be the same as Date Created, which I rarely want to see. By far the most useful date for me is Date Modified, which was the standard in XP. How do I set that as the column that will always appear in all...
  7. How do i change the default dir when i open up windows explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i change the default dir when i open up windows explorer: My C: is for OS only My E: is for all my stuff I am tired of opening up explorer only to have to click serveral times to get to E: For example it says quick access or thispc. I want it to default to E: when i open up explorer Is it possible, and how do i do that?...
Change default Explorer folder (for taskbar-pinned shortcut) solved