Windows 10: Change Default Folder in "Save As" Window

Discus and support Change Default Folder in "Save As" Window in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Currently save as dialog opens to “This PC” and a Domain Folder on a VPN Network which I rarely work on. Because I don’t normally connect to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KRISTINAHART, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Change Default Folder in "Save As" Window

Change Default Folder in "Save As" Window 559ac33e-9730-4b00-b557-49ddbaa3725a?upload=true.png

Currently save as dialog opens to “This PC” and a Domain Folder on a VPN Network which I rarely work on. Because I don’t normally connect to these folders it goes looking for them and takes a long time to determine that they are not there.

I would like it to open to the “Quick Access” which makes navigating much easier.

Change Default Folder in "Save As" Window 5d05fdbc-b9f9-4c16-9f03-610b34ef5edb?upload=true.png

I tried to change where new documents are saved but I do not have an option for the quick access bar.

Change Default Folder in "Save As" Window 8345b7c3-464c-4944-97bb-06479cf88b32?upload=true.png

Please help. It is so frustrating.

Thanks,

Kris

:)

KRISTINAHART, Jun 26, 2020
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jun 26, 2020
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Change Default Folder in "Save As" Window

Changed Videos folder and can't reset it to default or change it

Thank you for posting back.

We suggest that you check this
    article
    about "How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder"
    and try the troubleshooting steps provided there to change the the default location of your Videos folder.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Remon Ont, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Change Default Folder in "Save As" Window

1. Change Default Folder in "Save As" Window - Similar Threads - Change Default Folder

2. Microsoft Photos Changing Default "Save As" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photos Changing Default "Save As" folder: This problem just started when Microsoft Photos updated in 2023. When I open a photo, edit it, and then click "save as", it wants to save in the last folder where I was working previously. I want it to go back to how it used to be and when you click "save as" , it saves into...
  3. Microsoft Photos Changing Default "Save As" folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos Changing Default "Save As" folder: This problem just started when Microsoft Photos updated in 2023. When I open a photo, edit it, and then click "save as", it wants to save in the last folder where I was working previously. I want it to go back to how it used to be and when you click "save as" , it saves into...
  4. How to change default saving folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change default saving folders in Windows 10: HelloI used to customise where all attachments from outlook, saved webpages., Word doc, Excel,... pdf,....etc are saved by default.For some reason this has changed and now all go somewhere else in the C drive and every single time I have to type where it should go. This is...
  5. How to change default saving folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default saving folders in Windows 10: HelloI used to customise where all attachments from outlook, saved webpages., Word doc, Excel,... pdf,....etc are saved by default.For some reason this has changed and now all go somewhere else in the C drive and every single time I have to type where it should go. This is...
  6. How to change default saving folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Changing the default save location

Changing the default save location: I wanna change mt default save location on my pc since im gonna download games from the microsoft store from the xbox game pass. So i need to change my default save location on my pc for my apps. But when i try to change to my other hard drive it tells me that i have apps on...
  8. Default save folder

Default save folder: I notice on two occasions when I downloaded a PDF from a web portal, it saved it under Network. Obviously, that is not where I want it to go. In Settings > Storage > Change where new content is saved, it just shows the C drive. There is no drop down menu. Is there a way...
  9. Change default "Save as type"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default "Save as type": Whenever I'm saving changes made to a picture file it defaults to saving it as a jpeg. I never save anything as a jpeg because of it's lossy nature and always tend to save picture files as a png. Is there a way to make it so whenever I'm saving ANY kind of picture file that...
  10. Changing Default Save Location

Changing Default Save Location: Just upgraded SSD and installed fresh version of Windows 10 version 1909. My SSD is the C: drive. Prior to the SSD upgrade, files such as Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures were saved to my D: Hard Drive. Example: D: >Gagnon >Documents In other words my D:...