Windows 10: Change default home directory path

Discus and support Change default home directory path in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have a windows 10 Pro server with a thinstuff tool to enable more than 3 remote desktop sessions at same time. This server has a 254... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarcoCosta2, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Change default home directory path

Hi everyone,

I have a windows 10 Pro server with a thinstuff tool to enable more than 3 remote desktop sessions at same time.

This server has a 254 SSD boot disk with OS windows 10, and an extra 1TB Volume for data storage.

My question is simple, i need to change the users home directory path from c:\users to new path b:\users automaticaly.

I want wen i create a new AD user, and i need to map your default home directory to b:\user partition, and not for the default c:\.

I'm trying to change the profile image path, after the profile is created on c:\ but didn't work, and thats it what i do not want.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks for your support.

Marco A. Costa

:)

MarcoCosta2, Feb 5, 2020

2. Changing the default directories on Omnia

Is it possible to change the default directories on the Omnia.

Ideally I want to change the default my documents and sub folders to my storage/my documents/ and same for the default program installation path instead of programs I would like it to be my storage/programs/

Also I know there is a registry hack to change the ringtone default directory, is there one to change the default SMS / Alarms tone directory?

Thanks for any help.

Jay_Samsung_Omnia, Feb 5, 2020
  3. damo_uk24 Win User
    Changing the default directory

Hi, I am talking about the C:\Users\ folder. At the moment, my documents and other personal folders are pointing to another directory which is C:\Users\damia\ and I am wanting it to point to C:\Users\Damian Quinn\. How do I get it to this stage?? I am
    sorry, I probaly didn't explain it properly.

Damian

damo_uk24, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Change default home directory path

Changing the default directory

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you that you are facing this issue.

When installing any program you will get an option to choose where the files needs to be saved. You need to click on “browse” option and choose the desired path or location and continue with the installation. Once you complete the installation
    the files will be saved in the new location rather than the default location.

By default Windows installs all the programs in the drive in which it is installed. In most cases it would be “C:\Program Files”.

You can always change the installation path for each program during its install. But if you install all your programs on a different drive, you might want to consider changing the default installation path.

To make it happen, Press Windows key + R and type “regedit” to open registry edit and navigate to the following key:

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion”.

Right click on the value named “ProgramFilesDir” & click “modify” to change the default value “C:\Program Files” to the path you want to install all your programs in.

Click OK Exit. Windows, by default, will now install your programs in the new drive or path.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added
    protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Let us know if you need further help with this Windows issue. We will be glad to help.

Srimadhwa B, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

Change default home directory path

1. Change default home directory path - Similar Threads - Change default home

2. Changing name of home directory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing name of home directory.: If my name is George Smith but I made a typo when installing Windows such that my home directory is named georg no "e" is there a reasonably convenient way to rename my home directory to "george?" My Microsoft ID is OK at george ... mydomain.com" and I don't want or need to...
  3. Changing name of home directory.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing name of home directory.: If my name is George Smith but I made a typo when installing Windows such that my home directory is named georg no "e" is there a reasonably convenient way to rename my home directory to "george?" My Microsoft ID is OK at george ... mydomain.com" and I don't want or need to...
  4. Need to change the directory path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to change the directory path: I changed the path letter on my secondary drive which had some games from the Microsoft store and it can’t find the games but the files are there so how do I tell it to look at the new drive letter...
  5. Need to change the directory path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to change the directory path: I changed the path letter on my secondary drive which had some games from the Microsoft store and it can’t find the games but the files are there so how do I tell it to look at the new drive letter...
  6. Need to change the directory path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Change Default Installation Path

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Default Installation Path: Hey team, I've googled this and saw countless threads yet nothing has worked so far. Not even sure if it's possible at this point. I want to change the default installation path of downloaded programs from my C:\ to another D:\, rather than changing the path everytime I...
  8. Change default install path?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default install path?: i have 2 drives, 1 tiny SSD for the windows install (C), and one big drive for everything else (D). I want literally everything, always, on the big drive (D) yet whenever I install something it always defaults to the small windows ssd where I barely have any storage space to...
  9. Lost the Path to Home Directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost the Path to Home Directory: The error message reads: Path to Home Directory is absent. See README.TXT for details. TinyWeb/1.93 service failed to start. I cannot find the Readme.txt or any reference to tiny/web when i do a search. It will reboot marginally well with my boot thumb drive inserted but...
  10. change default home directory windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    change default home directory windows 10: New laptop, Dell 7000, Windows 10 Microsoft decided to create a home directory for me as c:\users\chars I would like for default home to be c:\users\charsmith How could I do that? Thanks....