Windows 10: Change default printer depending on which network I'm on?

Discus and support Change default printer depending on which network I'm on? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a laptop that I move between home and work. In each place, there is a network with a printer. (One is the home Wi-Fi network, the other is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WilliamRosenblatt, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Change default printer depending on which network I'm on?

I have a laptop that I move between home and work. In each place, there is a network with a printer. (One is the home Wi-Fi network, the other is the hardwired work network through a USB-C docking station.) I am tired of having to manually select the printer I want to print to - or if I forget, to have to cancel a print job in the queue of a printer that's "offline." It seems to me that there ought to be a way for Windows to figure out which printer to use as default based on which network I'm on. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

:)

WilliamRosenblatt, Sep 11, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

Default network printer randomly defaults to the adobe PDF printer

Start button > Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners >click at your printer > click Set as Default > click at Microsoft Print to PDF > click Remove device > click Yes to confirm >
    I would suggest that you enable Let Windows manage my default printer option. That way, your default printer will be the last printer used.

davidhk, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Last used printer always comes up instead of default printer.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to refer the below steps and check if this helps.

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click
      Search.)

• Enter Devices and Printers in the search box, and then tap or click
      Devices and Printers.

• Tap or click any printer, and then tap or click Manage default printers.

• Un-Select Change my default printer when I change networks.

• Under Select network, choose the first network you want to set a printer for.

• Under Select printer, choose the printer you want to be the default on that network, and then tap or click
      Add.

• When you're finished setting a default printer for each network, tap or click
      OK.
    Note :

The issue you are facing might be due to selecting the option Change my default printer when I change networks in settings suggest you to uncheck the option.

Let us know if this helps.

Keep us posted for further assistance, we are here to assist you.

Akheel Ahmed, Sep 11, 2019
  4. RCoon Win User

Change default printer depending on which network I'm on?

Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

I do it with VB logon scripts

"Dim ps0 [<------ our printer server the printers are added/managed on]
    Dim printer

ps0 = "\\ps0\"
    printer = "S14 - Oki ES4140" [<------- the name of the printer as it is shown on the server]

Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    on Error Resume Next

'Deletes all network printers
    Set clPrinters = wshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 0 to clPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2
    wshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection clPrinters.Item(i+1), true
    Next

'Add Network printer
    wshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection ps0 & printer

'Set Default Printer
    wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter ps0 & printer" [<------ this bit sets it as default (note: this must be applied as the first policy before any other printers policies, otherwise it deletes them)]

Change default printer depending on which network I'm on? Printerscrupt.png

RCoon, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

Change default printer depending on which network I'm on?

1. Change default printer depending on which network I'm on? - Similar Threads - Change default printer

2. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  3. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  4. Annoying crashes depending on which network im on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Annoying crashes depending on which network im on: So basically, I own a old computer because I can't afford a new one. Win 7 on it but this isn't the point. The problem here is the fact that my computer will crashes if i'm playing games if i'm connected to my network. Currently subscrided to Free. But will never freezes nor...
  5. Annoying crashes depending on which network im on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Annoying crashes depending on which network im on: So basically, I own a old computer because I can't afford a new one. Win 7 on it but this isn't the point. The problem here is the fact that my computer will crashes if i'm playing games if i'm connected to my network. Currently subscrided to Free. But will never freezes nor...
  6. Default Printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default Printer keeps changing: it seems whenever i use a PDF printer like Microsoft Print to PDF or PDF Factory, my default printer changes to that PDF printer even though i have the option to let windows select the printer set to off. Is there a way to stop this?...
  7. Default printer changes

Default printer changes: [img] [img] I use a samsung printer as my default printer. I also have a Dymo labelwriter 450 twin turbo. When i print a lable on my dymo printer win 10 will set the dymo to my default printer which i obviously don't want. I have "Let windows manage my default printer"...
  8. Windows changes printer default

Windows changes printer default: I have seen this problem discussed before but never seen an answer that worked. Since the last upgrade, windows defaults to OneNote as a printer even though my HP is the default in settings. I do not have the "Let Windows..." box checked and I have re-installed all my...
  9. Change printer default settings

Change printer default settings: How do you change printer default settings from color to black and white on windows 10? I have office365 also. Does that make a difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/change-printer-default-settings/6f785f32-dec4-448c-8259-0dfc85477859
  10. Default network printer randomly defaults to the adobe PDF printer

Default network printer randomly defaults to the adobe PDF printer: Hi Guys, I'm getting quite frustrated with this issue and wondering if anyone has seen it, and able to resolve the issue. The issue is I have a network printer selected as the default in Windows 10. I have the option "Let Windows manage my default printer" turned off. At...