Windows 10: Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows

Discus and support Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows How to Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows In Google... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Siegfriedm, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows

How to: Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows

How to Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows

In Google Chrome, you can use the address bar (omnibox) as a search box. It automatically uses Google by default, but you can set another default search engine instead.

The search box on the New Tab page in Google Chrome will also use what you set as the default search engine.

This tutorial will show you how to set a default search engine you want to use in Google Chrome for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set Default Search Engine in Google Chrome Search Engine Settings
    • Option Two: Set Default Search Engine in Google Chrome Manage Search Engines Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] Set Default Search Engine in Google Chrome Search Engine Settings
    1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Click/tap on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3 dots) button
    Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows [​IMG]
    , and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. In the Search engine section, select the search engine (ex: "Google") you want to use in the Search engine used in the address bar drop down menu. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close the Settings tab if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Set Default Search Engine in Google Chrome Manage Search Engines Settings
    1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Click/tap on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3 dots) button
    , and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can copy and paste chrome://settings/searchEngines into the address bar and press Enter to go directly to the Manage search engines settings page in step 3 below.

3. In the Search engine section, click/tap on Manage search engines. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now perform the following actions you want to set your default search engine: (see screenshots below)
    A) Under Default search engines,
    • Click/tap on the More actions button
      . to the right of the search engine (ex: "Bing") you want to use, and click/tap on Make default.
    OR

B) Under Other search engines,
    • Add: To the right of "Other search engines," click/tap on the Add button. Fill out the text fields and click/tap on Add.
    • Set as default: To the right of the search engine, click/tap on the More actions button
      , and click/tap on Make default.
    • Edit: To the right of the search engine, click/tap on the More actions button
      , click/tap on Edit, edit the text fields, and click/tap on Save.
    • Delete: To the right of the search engine, click/tap on the More actions button
      , and click/tap on Remove from list.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Siegfriedm, Feb 16, 2016
  2. Shaurija Win User

Windows 10: Search Engine changed to Google but still searches with Yahoo: Firefox, Edge, Chrome

I can change the default search engine to Google on Firefox/Chrome/Edge, but whenever I search something, it still searches with Yahoo despite the default being Google.

My Process:

Firefox:

Step 1.

Click on the Magnifying Glass in the Search Box: Go to Change Search Settings

Default Search Engine: Select Google

Google now shows as the default search engine. Even when I open the magnifying glass on the search box, Google is shown as the search engine being used- But when I actually search, it searches with Yahoo. The only way I can successfully use the search box
    to search with Google is to take it off default so that I can click the google symbol when I open magnifying glass (when I click the symbol while it's the default, it searches with Yahoo instead).

Step 2.

Go back to Change Search Settings

Remove Yahoo from the One-Click Search Engines

The problem persists anyway.

Chrome:

Click on the stack of lines on the right: Go to Settings

Under Search: Click on Manage Search Engines...

Hover over Google: Make Default

Hover over Yahoo: Click on the X and remove it

Click Done

Search in the Omnibox and... It still uses Yahoo.

Microsoft Edge:

Click on the 3 Dots on the Right: Go to Settings

Go to View Advanced Settings

Find "Search in the address bar with" and click Change

Open Google's Homepage so that it can discover it

Click on the discovered Google and Select: Set as Default

Click on Yahoo and Select: Remove

(Bing, the only other search engine provided in the list, can't be removed even though it isn't the default search engine)

Still searches with Yahoo.

Please Help.

Shaurija, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Change of Cortana: Search Engine To Google, and Default browser to Chrome

Hello,

I want to change the Cortana Search Engine To Google, the one that is used when pressing WIN+S command, type whatever, and click on it.

I want 2 things:

-> Use chrome as the default browser when clicking on "Search on the internet"

-> Use google as the default search engine

This picture shows what I DON'T WANT: Edge as the default browser, and Bing as the default search engine. (I want Chrome and Google respectively to be used).

Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows 47ebf670-cacc-4d3c-b592-95eae31f359b.png

Thanks in Advance,

Best regards

Guillermo

Guillermo Fernández García, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows

changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Rico Novice, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Cecil_IL Win User
    changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Tried this 26 Nov 2015 to make Google.com my search engine and received report "Couldn't add this provider"

Cecil_IL, Oct 27, 2019
  6. vbahl2003 Win User
    Cannot Change Default Search Engine tyo Google in Microsoft Edge

Hi,

When I am trying to change my default search engine for my Microsoft edge browser in advanced settings I am neither able to type anything or select anything and add is disabled as well can anybody suggest how to fix this please. as per the notes mentioned
    for changing the default browser engine, the second step mentioned here below I am not able to perform as there is nothing enabled to either select or type the engine's website.

• Select More actions (...) > Settings and then scroll down to select
      View advanced settings. In the list under Search in the address bar with, select
      Change.
    • Select your search engine's website and then select Set as default. If you don't select the search engine, the
      Set as default button will be grayed out.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Vikas Bahl

vbahl2003, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows

1. Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Default Search

2. Default search engine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default search engine: I use google chrome. I set my default search engine to be google again and again and yet Yahoo barges in out of nowhere. I don't want that to happen. I hate opening search settings everytime I want to search something. It is not fair that yahoo is pushed again and again for...
  3. Default Search Engine

Default Search Engine: Hello I Use Google As My Default Page In Microsoft Edge However My Default Search Engine Is Bing How Do I Change That To Google ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-search-engine/29447819-e73d-4b41-ba12-14099bc501c5
  4. Google chrome and other search engines not responding

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Google chrome and other search engines not responding: A few days back when I opened Chrome it didn't load and showed a message that page is not responding, I tried other engines like mozilla, egde. All of them are showing the same message, that the page is not responding. I have already dissabled all add ons for engines. Still...
  5. How do I change default search engine used by Search box to Google

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change default search engine used by Search box to Google: Although I have Google set as the default browser, whenever I type a search in the Search box at the bottom left, the search result is displayed as a Bing result. This seems to have become more of an issue after today's Windows update (15 August 2021). Now running Windows 10...
  6. How to change default search engines?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change default search engines?: Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I use google chrome as my search engine but for some reason yesterday when I opened a new tab, Yahoo was the browser. I went to my settings to change chrome back to being the default browser, but it said chrome is...
  7. Search engine default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search engine default: How can I change the default search engine? It currently seems to be Yahoo. I would prefer Google. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-engine-default/3a6ec862-a79b-4472-a301-1992dc648f96
  8. Google Chrome Search Engine

Google Chrome Search Engine: Today on Google Chrome I noticed the search engine had changed to Yahoo! and going into setting I was unable to change it back to Chrome/ uninstall Yahoo! I went to the list of programs on my pc and tried uninstalling Search Powered by Yahoo! but it didnt work either. Is...
  9. Changing search engine to google, downloading chrome, on a new HP Pavillion

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing search engine to google, downloading chrome, on a new HP Pavillion: Seems like the first issue should be easily solved by going into advanced settings, and replacing that horrible Bing with Google. But there is no "address bar" option in settings or advanced settings which should be the place where I can make the replacement. ...Also, when I...
  10. Change Default Search Engine in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Firefox: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Firefox How to Change Default Search Engine in Firefox [img] Information Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), Google is used as the default search engine in the address bar and search bar. Firefox comes with the...