Windows 10: Change default selected drives for creating system image

Discus and support Change default selected drives for creating system image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to make a system image, but windows 10 automatically selects a drive that isn't needed for the system image. Since it is grayed out,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by JKMantell, Jan 2, 2020.

1. JKMantell Win User

Change default selected drives for creating system image

Hello,

I'm trying to make a system image, but windows 10 automatically selects a drive that isn't needed for the system image. Since it is grayed out, I can't deselect it. I only want to image my C:, D: and system reserve drives. The program keeps adding my E: drive which has no relevance to anything for windows 10. I don't want to go through the trouble of manually disconnecting my other drives whenever I want to make a system image.

My E: drive is my game drive, which is almost a terabyte of data. The way my system is setup, the programs in the game drive can run even if I connect it to another computer. So I don't need that in my image. So I need to find a way to make the image and deselect the dives Windows 10 keeps selecting.

Another reason why I need to make this image is, sometimes after being forced to do an update and restart, the boot loader for some reason gets corrupted and I have to go through the process of repairing the system. This will be a lot faster if I can create a system image. I'm hesitant to restart my system to update Win10 Version 1909. Thank you.

:)

JKMantell, Jan 2, 2020
  2. JKMantell Win User

Hello,

I'm trying to make a system image, but windows 10 automatically selects a drive that isn't needed for the system image. Since it is grayed out, I can't deselect it. I only want to image my C:, D: and system reserve drives. The program keeps adding my E: drive which has no relevance to anything for windows 10. I don't want to go through the trouble of manually disconnecting my other drives whenever I want to make a system image.

My E: drive is my game drive, which is almost a terabyte of data. The way my system is setup, the programs in the game drive can run even if I connect it to another computer. So I don't need that in my image. So I need to find a way to make the image and deselect the dives Windows 10 keeps selecting.

Another reason why I need to make this image is, sometimes after being forced to do an update and restart, the boot loader for some reason gets corrupted and I have to go through the process of repairing the system. This will be a lot faster if I can create a system image. I'm hesitant to restart my system to update Win10 Version 1909. Thank you.

JKMantell, Jan 2, 2020
  3. JimmyVR Win User
    Cannot create a single system image on a flash drive

Hi,

I've tried both:

• Create a system image: Windows looks for the drive and finds the flash drive but under it is an exclamation sign with "The drive is not a valid backup location." And "Next" is shaded, I cannot press it.
    • Windows backup: Setup backup:
      • The drive is in view, I select it then get the exclamation below "A system image cannot be saved on this location."
      • I can press "Next" (it will probably backup my folders...)
      • I press "more information" next to the exclamation: "Scheduled backup is not allowed on removable devices. You can try to save a single system image on this device by clicking "create system image" in the Windows 7 file recovery control panel." Of course,
        I cannot create a single system image on it.
    Thank you.

Update: I just found the same option I'd used the first time I created recovery media in Windows 8.1 - it was sort of 'hidden' in the control panel. Is this the option you were referring to?
    I am now creating a "Recovery Drive" on this same flash drive. I think when it's used, it restores the computer back to factory default (Windows 8). I would've preferred to be able to restore the system as is now. Anyway, thank you for this support.

JimmyVR, Jan 2, 2020
  4. Change default selected drives for creating system image

Windows 10 default image viewer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps in order to change the default image viewer to Paint.

• In search,
    • Type Default Programs.
    • Check whether Windows Photo Viewer is listed in the list.
    • Left click on the photo viewer and select the option paint.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Change default selected drives for creating system image - Similar Threads - Change default selected

2. Drives selection for system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drives selection for system image: Hi. I am trying to make a system image but I'm troubled with something i haven't experienced before.When I installed windows on my current PC, i had all system files installed on an SSD which is Disk C. That's the only disk i actually care about for the system image, as i...
  3. Drives selection for system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drives selection for system image: Hi. I am trying to make a system image but I'm troubled with something i haven't experienced before.When I installed windows on my current PC, i had all system files installed on an SSD which is Disk C. That's the only disk i actually care about for the system image, as i...
  4. Drives selection for system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  6. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  7. Creating system Image to external drive

8. Want to create system image of C drive

Want to create system image of C drive: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to create system image of C drive but problem is that it is backing up C and E both drive so I want to Backup C drive only. Please help....
  9. Create System Image of External Drive

Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...
  10. Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on.

Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on.: So currently I am trying to create a system image of my PC on a hard drive. When I go to select my HDD D: as the location for backup, the options were only my SSD E:, and after looking through some answers online I tried to reformat my hard drive which again still wouldn't...