Windows 10: Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents

Discus and support Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I unfortunately set this up when I installed windows to save my Documents to OneDrive unknowingly that instead of syncing my actual documents it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mr Mangoh, May 8, 2021.

1. Mr Mangoh Win User

Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents

I unfortunately set this up when I installed windows to save my Documents to OneDrive unknowingly that instead of syncing my actual documents it creates and changes the default documents folder to a OneDrive folder. How do I undo this?This https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/change-documents-location-from-onedrive-to-local/55b3a67f-63e1-4050-a8de-bd84f7033d36 sounds like it used to be the solution but is no longer possible.Whats the current solution?

:)

Mr Mangoh, May 8, 2021
  2. ChuckWM Win User

Windows 10 Default Path for Documents - Changing from OneDrive to User location

How do I change the default path definition for "Documents" from my OneDrive location C:\Users\...\OneDrive\Documents

to C:\Users\...\Documents

The default for everything is OneDrive and I don't want that. I want the file explore to point to my local C drive and not the OneDrive start

Thanks

ChuckWM, May 8, 2021
  3. dmhlt Win User
    Restore Default Locations of “Documents” in “Users” & “This PC”

Being new to both Windows 10 and OneDrive, somehow I managed to change the “Location” of my “Users” (and therefore also the “This PC”) “Documents” folder to the OneDrive “Documents” folder.
    So while in File Explorer if I right-click either the “Users” “Documents” or the “This PC” “Documents” and select Properties and then the Location tab, it says this is the path:
    C:\Users\<UserNamer>\OneDrive\Documents
    But that is NOT where I want documents I create stored on my hard drive.
    When I select the “Restore Default” it says the new location will be this path:
    C:\Users\<UserNamer>\Documents
    And THAT is where I want them stored
    When I click “OK” a dialogue box opens and asks:
    “Do you want to move all the files …” with the default “Yes” highlighted
    I click “Yes”
    And then a second, ominous dialogue box opens and asks
    “Do you want to redirect folder “Document” into another system folder “Documents” located at “C:\Users\<UserNamer> \Douments”? If you proceed with redirection, you will not be able to separate them or restore default location.
    “Do you still want to proceed with redirection?”
    With the default “No” highlighted
    I select “No” (although I think that’s actually what I want to do)
    And I’m back to square one with the same old “corrupted” path.
    I did create a folder I titled “Documents – Holding” in OneDrive, and moved the few folders that were in the OneDrive “Documents” to the “Documents – Holding” folder. So now the OneDrive “Documents” folder is empty. And therefore the “Documents” folders in both “Users” and “This PC” are also empty.
    I will note that when I setup the OneDrive I did opt to save Documents and Pictures to This PC rather than the default location of OneDrive – so that should not be an issue. (OneDrive --> Settings --> AutoSave --> Documents & Pictures --> This PC Only)
    Can I proceed with the “Restore Default” – or will only complicate matters with duplicate folders?

dmhlt, May 8, 2021
  4. lee_1959 Win User

Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents

changing the location of documents to onedrive on multiple machines

I am setting up a new win10 machine (virgin)

I wish to use onedrive to synch (with local cache) Documents, Desktop, Pictures, and Downloads between the new machine and an existing SurfaceBook

I cannot change the location of Documents on the populated machine (SurfaceBook) as while processing the ~ 500 gB of data, an error is thrown regarding an invalid file name. The directory structure of the Surface book is created in OneDrive, but files are
    not migrated.

I assume I need to migrate the Documents folder by folder (via Move from users\me\documents\folder to onedrive\documents\folder) until I find the bad actor and then repair it.

The question is: once I have moved the contents of users\me\documents to onedrive\documents, can I then change the location of the 'empty' users\me\documents to the 'full' onedrive\documents, or will that second 'change location' operation delete the onedrive?

lee_1959, May 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents - Similar Threads - Change default documents

2. change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents?: how do i change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents? windows 10 home, 22H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-location-that-fax-and-scan/54b38627-5360-4bcf-9ffa-2eb4ce6e7bac
  3. change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents?: how do i change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents? windows 10 home, 22H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-location-that-fax-and-scan/54b38627-5360-4bcf-9ffa-2eb4ce6e7bac
  4. change the default location that fax and scan sends scanned documents?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change Default Document Folder Location to local Drive from OneDrive Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Document Folder Location to local Drive from OneDrive Windows 11: Hi, I wish to change document folder's default location from OneDrive to local drive. It is currently configured as follows:I have unlinked OneDrive from everywhere else on my laptop. However, all my other attempts to change the default path for the Document folder to my...
  6. Change Default Document Folder Location to local Drive from OneDrive Windows 11

Change Default Document Folder Location to local Drive from OneDrive Windows 11: Hi, I wish to change document folder's default location from OneDrive to local drive. It is currently configured as follows:I have unlinked OneDrive from everywhere else on my laptop. However, all my other attempts to change the default path for the Document folder to my...
  7. Unable to restore default location of Documents.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to restore default location of Documents.: I am using Windows 11 with OneDrive. OneDrive will not allow me restore default location of my documents folder. The only document folder that is available is the one listed in Users/Marc/OneDrive. When I try to restore default location through the properties dialog box, it...
  8. Unable to restore default location of Documents.

Unable to restore default location of Documents.: I am using Windows 11 with OneDrive. OneDrive will not allow me restore default location of my documents folder. The only document folder that is available is the one listed in Users/Marc/OneDrive. When I try to restore default location through the properties dialog box, it...
  9. How do I change the location of the default documents/desktop etc. from a drive that...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the location of the default documents/desktop etc. from a drive that...: To start off with, I have 3 drives. C:, my boot drive, and S: and F:, for storage. A while back I changed my downloads and documents among other things like the desktop to my F: drive, as my C: drive is very small and I wanted space, but unfortunately I downloaded a file that...
  10. Changing Documents location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Documents location: Following Microsoft instructions, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310746/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder, last updated in April of 2017 and then looking at their instructions on how you can actually still do this in a new 2019 instruction piece,...