Windows 10: Change disk numbering

Discus and support Change disk numbering in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I recently built a new PC, and i first booted from a 3.5" HDD from my old PC to recover some data off it, before booting from my new M.2 ssd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Anirudhh007, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Change disk numbering

Hello.

I recently built a new PC, and i first booted from a 3.5" HDD from my old PC to recover some data off it, before booting from my new M.2 ssd 1tb, and installing a new copy of windows 10 on it. But now, i have my old hdd connected inside the case as well for backups and media, etc. But windows is numbering the HDD as Disk 0 and SSD as Disk 1. The SSD is the boot drive. The HDD has no boot files, or anything of the sort. I want to know if i can change the disk numbering, because although it is not causing any problems, it is quite annoying in Task Manager and the menu where i eject USBs. Is there any way to re-number these disks in the order that I want?

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

:)

Anirudhh007, Sep 26, 2019

2. Disk Number changed and Can not format

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the Start Menu.

• Select Disk Management.

• Right-click on the drive letter you want to change and click
      Change Drive Letter and Paths.

• Click Change...

• Use the drop down to the right of Assign the following drive letter: to select a new drive letter.

• Click OK.
    Try formatting the disk again.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Sep 26, 2019
  3. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Change disk numbering :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Sep 26, 2019
  4. Fernandz Win User

Change disk numbering

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Sep 26, 2019
Thema:

Change disk numbering

1. Change disk numbering - Similar Threads - Change disk numbering

2. Change phone number

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change phone number: want to change phone number on my account as i cant verify passwords cause its an old phone number no longer have access to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-phone-number/4e0182a9-a16c-4f5b-8285-9f95e68cdd97
  3. Change of telephone number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change of telephone number: How do I update my telephone number on my account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-of-telephone-number/aca591c6-9ec2-4c6a-b560-cf6e24891c11
  4. Change phone number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change phone number: I need to change my old number on my account to my current number I lost the other phone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-phone-number/52a074a7-0347-415e-950c-65ba05091af8
  5. Changing a Phone number?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing a Phone number?: ALright. So I have been trying for 14 hours now to fix this problem, and am more than frustrated with how microsoft support is run. just the other day, I had some bank issues, and made a few phonecalls and got everything sorted it. it was stressful, and a bit time consuming,...
  6. disk number problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk number problem: hi I use win10 and I have 1ssdwin10 and 5 hard disks. and I use each hard for something. for example I use hard lettered "D" for my iTunes and back ups and downloads and … but whene I disconnect on other hard disk, windows change the letter "D" to "F" or something else. PLZ...
  7. Formatting hard disks with numbers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting hard disks with numbers?: Hi I have a server and I'm running out of letters to add hard drives I know that with raid or pools you can combine multiple drives but I would like to use numbers instead of letters that are not recognized in windows is there a possibility zb in windows server 2019...
  8. Change phone number

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change phone number: I can't seem to find where I can change my phone number so I can reset my sons login. I recently got a new computer and I can't remember the email password for his acct. I need to reset it but the phone number Microsoft has to send the code is for my old phone. I've changed...
  9. change number

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    change number: how do I change the phone number for my Microsoft account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-number/c51d2adf-874d-4b0d-8feb-156adad5a295"
  10. Change Disk Numbers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change Disk Numbers: I have recently moved my new 6 Gb/s operating system drive from a 3 Gb/s SATA controller to a 6 Gb/s SATA controller. The only problem is that the disk number changes. For example, instead of my operating system drive being Disk 0, it is now Disk 2, and instead of being at...