Windows 10: Change disk used for hibernation (for contents of RAM)

Discus and support Change disk used for hibernation (for contents of RAM) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'd like to change the disk which my PC uses to store the contents of RAM during hibernation. I'd like to save wear and tear on my main SSD and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by THX1138, Jun 17, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Change disk used for hibernation (for contents of RAM)

I'd like to change the disk which my PC uses to store the contents of RAM during hibernation. I'd like to save wear and tear on my main SSD and transfer it to my older, smaller SSD. Thanks!

:)

THX1138, Jun 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 hibernating

The length of time required for hibernation depends on a number of factors:

1. The amount of RAM in use. The more RAM in use the more has to be saved to disk.

2. The speed of the disk holding the hibernation file. An SSD will be faster than a HDD; a 7200 rpm disk will be faster than a 5400 rpm disk.

Alan Russell, Jun 17, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    High RAM usage after hibernate

To achieve greater power savings through hibernation, the entire contents of RAM are written to the hibernation file so power to the DIMMs can be essentially turned off. But that means all that data has to be restored to RAM when the computer comes out of
    hibernation.

By contrast, in 'sleep' the contents of RAM are not written to the hard drive. The power savings are not as great, but shut down and resume are faster.

If you have a laptop with a battery that's teetering on the edge of death, or the conductor called your stop in the middle of
    GTA your work on a big presentation, it makes sense to hibernate.

BulldogXX, Jun 17, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Not possible.
    For technical reasons the hiberfil.sys file must be on the Windows drive.
    There is no provision to change this.

LMiller7, Jun 17, 2017
  5. Q: Are you using a desktop PC or a laptop?

margrave55, Jun 17, 2017
  6. THX1138 Win User
    A desktop PC.

THX1138, Jun 17, 2017
  7. In that case there's no need for hibernation. That's meant for laptops.

Use sleep mode instead. There will be no need for a hibernate file at all.

Now the question is ... how do you disable hibernation on Windows 10?

I disabled it on Windows 7, but I've not tried to on Windows 10. Does anybody know how?

margrave55, Jun 17, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

This works the same in W10 as in W7. In an elevated command prompt type:

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE OFF

That will also disable fast start up. If you wish to disable hibernation but retain fast start up use:

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE REDUCED

9. THX1138 Win User
    It's not "meant for laptops". Hibernation uses less power than sleep so I will continue to hibernate when I'm not using my PC for hours at a time.

THX1138, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change disk used for hibernation (for contents of RAM) - Similar Threads - Change disk used

2. it is ram or hard disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    it is ram or hard disk?: i got a error bsod, while filming with obs.there is a link with error file . on bsod was saying something kernel_Inpage something ..https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TUPIhOTYPuU4xwGIYTmfUNzoqA2QOcju/view?usp=drive_link...
  3. it is ram or hard disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    it is ram or hard disk?: i got a error bsod, while filming with obs.there is a link with error file . on bsod was saying something kernel_Inpage something ..https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TUPIhOTYPuU4xwGIYTmfUNzoqA2QOcju/view?usp=drive_link...
  4. it is ram or hard disk?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Ram Disk Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ram Disk Question: I want to start a Ram Disk. I currently have 128GB of ram and my computer only supports 64GB. Am I able to use the other 64GB that my computer can't support for the Ram Disk? Very curious....
  6. Ram Disk Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ram Disk Question: I want to start a Ram Disk. I currently have 128GB of ram and my computer only supports 64GB. Am I able to use the other 64GB that my computer can't support for the Ram Disk? Very curious....
  7. Microsoft Content Background Task Host using up to 10GB of RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Content Background Task Host using up to 10GB of RAM: Microsoft Content Background Task Host process starts on its own and hogs up all memory on the system. The process comes back after a few minutes even after killing it with the Task Manager. Help would be appreciated....
  8. disk/ram space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk/ram space: when I go onto google my disk/ram space it shows 9-19 google chrome tabs are open? I only use 1-3 tabs per hour or somethin [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diskram-space/48be7b45-1d6a-49c4-a70e-b505bf203d42
  9. Changes to the contents of a VHD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changes to the contents of a VHD: Hello, Could you please explain this? Changes to the contents of a VHD (such as infection by a virus, or accidental deletion of critical files) are easily undone. [ATTACH]...
  10. Ram and Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ram and Disk: So i recently upgraded to win 10 on this win 7 system and the ram usage for system is over the top at 2.4 gb and only gives me 1.6 gb available (not even only gives me 400 mb while on my newer laptops it gives me 15.9 gb) also Disk usage is at 100% for nothing. Im just trying...