Windows 10: Change Edge/Bing to Firefox/Google as default when using Win key, pls?

Discus and support Change Edge/Bing to Firefox/Google as default when using Win key, pls? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Using Windows 10 Home After pressing Windows key, typing a word, then clicking on 'word' - see web results, Edge opens to a Bing search page. I must... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Energise, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Energise Win User

Change Edge/Bing to Firefox/Google as default when using Win key, pls?

Using Windows 10 Home

After pressing Windows key, typing a word, then clicking on 'word' - see web results, Edge opens to a Bing search page. I must have missed something when setting Windows up after a recent fresh install

1 How can I change the search engine from Bing to Google.co.uk, please?

2 Also, how can I change the browser this search uses, please? I use Firefox, which is already set as Default but, in this instance, Edge opens and uses Bing *Sad

Many thanks for any help/advice

:)

Energise, Jan 12, 2018
  2. Rohn007 Win User

BING

What do you mean it brings BING to the screen after wake from sleep?

Do you have FireFox open when you wake the computer?

I have similar setup. I use FireFox, default search to Google and normally sleep my computer. I have not run into this particular problem. My problem is that Edge keeps stealing defaults, like .url, from FireFox.

Rohn007, Jan 12, 2018
  3. JoanL. Win User
    How can I get Cortana to go by Iternet Explorer

I have Windows 10.

I was able to search via Cortana using Internet Explorer, but now it only searches via Edge. I do not want to use Edge because it does not work with my Norton.

I usually have IE set as my default bowser, but sometimes I use Google Chrome or Firefox.. When I could use Cortana with IE, it searched via Bing. I don't like Bing and I deleted it from my programs. Is this the reason Cortana won't go by IE. or did Microsoft
    change something. How can I get Bing back.

JoanL., Jan 12, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 12, 2018
  5. Energise Win User
    Thanks, Brink, for your very prompt reply. I believe this add-on you have linked isn't compatible with FF Quantum/57, which is the version of Firefox I am running.

However, it's not that a search in Firefox opens in Bing, it's the fact that when I press on the Windows key to open up the main menu/tiles, type a search word and then click on a result, it opens in Edge, which uses Bing. I'd like it to open in my default/chosen browser, ie Firefox, using Google.

Is there any way to do this, please?

Many thanks

Energise, Jan 12, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Nope, it says not compatible with Firefox Quantum. We'll have to search for one that is. *Sad

It's suppose to redirect searches made in Cortana and Start menu as well.

From the link above:

Brink, Jan 12, 2018
  7. Energise Win User
    Thanks but, unfortunatley, it's not compatible with my version of Firefox, ie 57/Quantum *Sad

Energise, Jan 12, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 12, 2018
  9. Energise Win User
    *cry Sorry, it doesn't seem to work. I've restarted Firefox, I've rebooted PC, I've checked any settings but it just hasn't made any difference *Sad

I really appreciate you helping and spending your time on this. *Smile Thanks

Energise, Jan 12, 2018
  10. Energise Win User
    I'm just downloading 'EdgeDeflector for Windows 10' which, apparently, works well with bing2google. Your mention of bing2google gave me a clue as to what to search for *Wink

I'll let you know ...

Energise, Jan 12, 2018
  11. Energise Win User
    YAY!!! It's worked

Brink, I'm so grateful for your help with this. I was just stumped as to what to search for, key words etc, hence the original post. I even struggled to get a meaningful title. As I mentioned, it was when you mentioned 'bing2google' which I then did a search on. Results came up that b2g didn't work now, on Quantum but, alongside EdgeDeflector' they work well, and so it's proved.

I didn't even know this was possible. So so many thanks to you *Smile

Energise, Jan 12, 2018
  12. Energise Win User
    Most definitely
    Thanks for marking as Solved too *Smile

Energise, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Edge/Bing to Firefox/Google as default when using Win key, pls? - Similar Threads - Change Edge Bing

2. Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing: Hello,I really like the Edge browser even tho the updates during the last year made things worse.However, what really annoys me is edge keeps asking to update my settings to use bing as the default search engine. Is there a way to prevent or disable this?...
  3. Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge keeps asking to change default search engine to bing: Hello,I really like the Edge browser even tho the updates during the last year made things worse.However, what really annoys me is edge keeps asking to update my settings to use bing as the default search engine. Is there a way to prevent or disable this?...
  4. Edge crashes when google used as default search

in Browsers and Email
    Edge crashes when google used as default search: When I set google to the default search in setttings/privacy/address bar, Edge crashes when I enter the 2nd character in the URL field. When I change it back to bing it works correctly. Win10 V 19041.388 Edge 84.0.522.49 161689
  5. change the default webbroswer from Edge to Firefox.

in Windows 10 Customization
    change the default webbroswer from Edge to Firefox.: I try change the default webbroswer from Edge to Firefox. But I cannot find the firefox in the three logoes given and I do not how to get it in. I have firefox installed in my computer and is functioning. Firefox icon appears in the startup page and also in the app column...
  6. Win 10 change from Bing to Google

in Cortana
    Win 10 change from Bing to Google: How to change from Bing to Google and uninstall Bing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-change-from-bing-to-google/c04f91b0-8a78-44de-851b-c56809180c47"
  7. Edge search Change from Bing to Google

in Browsers and Email
    Edge search Change from Bing to Google: Changing search in settings ADVANCED when you click on the add new all lines are greyed out .What to do ,or what causes that?I DO Not like Bing 18806
  8. cant change windows edge from bing to google

in Browsers and Email
    cant change windows edge from bing to google: how do i change my edge to google is my question.Also i did the upgrade but it also keep my old operating system and even though im administrator it wont allow me to remove it should i do a fresh install. 9682
  9. Bing to google for firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Bing to google for firefox: don't know if it has been posted yet but Install this script and no more bing with cortana *Party Bing to Google 13043
  10. Edge not completely discarding Bing when changed to Google

in Windows 10 Support
    Edge not completely discarding Bing when changed to Google: After installing Win10 I changed my default search engine from Bing to Google (Settings, View advanced settings, etc). Edge now opens with Google for the first tab but any subsequent tabs revert back to Bing/MSN. This also happens, incidentally, with Internet Explorer. I...