Windows 10: Change email/Microsoft account 'linked' to Windows 11

Discus and support Change email/Microsoft account 'linked' to Windows 11 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Somehow, when installing Windows, I chose the wrong email account. I would like to change it.I.e., when I open "Settings', the name and email address... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Dugmstr, May 22, 2024.

1. Dugmstr Win User

Change email/Microsoft account 'linked' to Windows 11

Somehow, when installing Windows, I chose the wrong email account. I would like to change it.I.e., when I open "Settings', the name and email address that appear at the top left of that window.From there, I click on "Accounts", "Accounts", "Email & accounts", and I see that I have already *added* the email address that I want to show up in the "Settings" window, etc.But how do I make it the 'default' or 'main' account? Do I need to remove the 1st one?The newly-added account has a "Remove account" option, but the 1st account does not just "Manage".

:)

Dugmstr, May 22, 2024
  2. Tetsujin Win User

How can I un-link my current Microsoft account that is tagged to my Windows activation license and link it to a new Microsoft account?

You don't make a new account & try to move your entitlements to it, you change the email address associated with the original account.

From Microsoft Support - Change the email address or phone number for your Microsoft account

Tetsujin, May 22, 2024
  3. Microsoft Account Email Change

Hi Carlo,

Do you want to replace the current account with another Microsoft Account?

I suggest you to convert the current Microsoft Account to a local account and then convert back to Microsoft account but while doing so add the new Microsoft account that you want to replace with the old.

This way you would not need to transfer all her applications, software, data, etc.

1. Convert Microsoft Account to a local account

• From the Desktop. Press the Windows key and then press the letter R.
    • This will bring up the run box.
    • Type Control Panel and click OK.
    • This will bring up the control panel and you will be able to access the user accounts from there.
    • To change to local account, do the above steps, If in category view Click on user accounts and Family safety.
    • Then click on user accounts. Click on make changes to my account in PC settings. You should be able to change to a local account.

2. Convert local account to a Microsoft Account

Step 1:
    Go to Start
    Change email/Microsoft account 'linked' to Windows 11 6ec55dc1-424c-4352-b681-3d4a8342bc62.png?n=windows-10-windows-icon-20.png
    , and select
    Settings > Accounts > Your account.

Step 2:

Look to see which kind of account you used to sign in:

• A Microsoft account. If you're already signed in with a Microsoft account, your name and email address appear above your account picture.
    • A local account. If you're signed in with a local account, you'll see the words
      Local Account below your name, along with the Connect to a Microsoft account link.

Switch your local account to a Microsoft account.

Step 1:
    Go to Start
    Change email/Microsoft account 'linked' to Windows 11 6ec55dc1-424c-4352-b681-3d4a8342bc62.png?n=windows-10-windows-icon-20.png
    , and select
    Settings > Accounts > Your account.

Step 2:
    Select Sign in with a Microsoft account.

You might have to verify your password.

Step 3:
    Choose one of the following:

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further queries on the issue above. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, May 22, 2024
  4. Change email/Microsoft account 'linked' to Windows 11

Changing Email account linked to Microsoft Edge

Hi,

thanks for your suggestion but this isn't working for me. I have opened the Microsoft Edge web browser, gone into Settings/General and the only Account that is listed is my friend's account (which I'm trying to delete and replace). There is no option listed
    for 'sign in with local account'.

I also went into the laptop Settings/Accounts/Email & Accounts. While I have successfully listed my own account under 'Accounts used by email, calendar and contacts', my friend's email is still listed under 'Accounts used by other apps'. While I have managed
    to list my own account here as well, when I click on my friend's account there is a 'Manage' button but when I click on mine, there is both 'Manage' and 'Remove'.

I hope this helps explaining the problem.

OConghaile, May 22, 2024
Thema:

Change email/Microsoft account 'linked' to Windows 11

1. Change email/Microsoft account 'linked' to Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Change email Microsoft

2. Change email/Microsoft account 'linked' to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change email/Microsoft account 'linked' to Windows 11: Somehow, when installing Windows, I chose the wrong email account. I would like to change it.I.e., when I open "Settings', the name and email address that appear at the top left of that window.From there, I click on "Accounts", "Accounts", "Email & accounts", and I see that I...
  3. Delete linked email account on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete linked email account on Windows 11: Under Accounts used by other apps, I need to delete the first account but there is no Remove option. How do I do it? I don't have access to that email account....
  4. Delete linked email account on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete linked email account on Windows 11: Under Accounts used by other apps, I need to delete the first account but there is no Remove option. How do I do it? I don't have access to that email account....
  5. Changing Email On Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Email On Microsoft Account: Hi,I have forgotten my password for my outlook account for user for windows account and have failed to reset the password. I have another outlook account I cant as I cannot login to it. Is there anyway to change this email without making a new user?...
  6. Microsoft account linked with deleted email

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft account linked with deleted email: How can I access my Microsoft account with my deleted email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-account-linked-with-deleted-email/0b618d3b-f06f-46c6-ad31-d15511fe50ad
  7. Microsoft account linked with deleted email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft account linked with deleted email: How can I access my Microsoft account with my deleted email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-account-linked-with-deleted-email/0b618d3b-f06f-46c6-ad31-d15511fe50ad
  8. Microsoft account linked with deleted email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Change email for Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change email for Microsoft account: I purchased a new laptop but my email is already connected to the Microsoft account of my daughter. Could you help me with advice how to separate our Microsoft accounts but not to lose content we have saved?...
  10. Changing Email account linked to Microsoft Edge

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing Email account linked to Microsoft Edge: Hi, I loaned my laptop to a friend and, while she had it, she somehow managed to establish her email address as the email address displayed in Microsoft Edge. So every time I open Microsoft Edge my friend's name is identified in the top right hand corner as being the linked...