Windows 10: Change file extension for Notepad ++

Discus and support Change file extension for Notepad ++ in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Ran multiple searches and hard to believe this hasn't been covered but ... I need to find 'Change Program' in the list of file extensions under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mustachio, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Mustachio Win User

Change file extension for Notepad ++

Ran multiple searches and hard to believe this hasn't been covered but ...

I need to find 'Change Program' in the list of file extensions under Default Programs>"Associate a file type or protocol".

Thank you.

P.S. Also if the site's search can't find Notepad ++ (with or without quotes) or 'default file type' I'm thinking something's not right in a database or something.

:)

Mustachio, Aug 9, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Why not simply find a different program that does register itself as a potential default correctly?

As I said before, the only option you have realistically if you wish to associate it is to use Open With, Browse to the program's exe and remember to click the check box to always use that program at the bottom.
    (Tutorial available if you need it).

Otherwise, I suggest you use a different program that is written so as to register itself to be capable of handling the extensions it can process.

Understand that programs which are not so written will not be listed by Windows as a potential default, as I have already said.

Examples:
    https://www.slant.co/options/44/alte...d-alternatives
    https://www.guru99.com/notepad-plus-...ternative.html
    - checking they can be associated as defaults

For example, looking for a replacement for Notepad, I found EditPadLite, a tabbed editor. It is easy to associate this.

If you search this forum, Notepad++ had been discussed before.
    File extension not in file association list
    (Post #7)

There are many discussions on the internet, but older references to the Control Panel are now obsolete, alas.
    How to Make Notepad++ As Default Text Editor on Windows 10
    under
    Update -
    - this section may be of interest, but with due caution

Set Notepad++ as default app in Windows 10 | Notepad++ Community

dalchina, Sep 28, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User

You associate any relevant program - including ones like Polyedit- which aren't written so as to be listed as potential defaults as I said- using Open With.

These screenshots show I succeeded:

Start:

Change file extension for Notepad ++ [​IMG]

Dummy.txt is not associated with Polyedit.

Rt click on Dummy.txt and use Open with- and check that box at the bottom- and then link to browse to Polyedit.exe and select it.

Result:

Oh look- the icon has changed to Polyedit's - and double clicking on dummy.txt opens it in Polyedit- can you see the file name in the tab?

I told you way back about using Open With... and that's in the tutorial about setting defaults. Didn't it work for you?

dalchina, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Mustachio Win User

Ran multiple searches and hard to believe this hasn't been covered but ...

I need to find 'Change Program' in the list of file extensions under Default Programs>"Associate a file type or protocol".

Thank you.

P.S. Also if the site's search can't find Notepad ++ (with or without quotes) or 'default file type' I'm thinking something's not right in a database or something.

Mustachio, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Change file extension for Notepad ++ - Similar Threads - Change file extension

2. Changing ABA file extension from Notepad back to ABA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing ABA file extension from Notepad back to ABA: HelloI have accidentally changed all my ABA files to Notepad. Have gone back in and taken the tick off "Always use this app to open ABA files" but there is no app to associate with an ABA file. I'm using Windows 10 Home version. Help......
  3. Changing ABA file extension from Notepad back to ABA

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing ABA file extension from Notepad back to ABA: HelloI have accidentally changed all my ABA files to Notepad. Have gone back in and taken the tick off "Always use this app to open ABA files" but there is no app to associate with an ABA file. I'm using Windows 10 Home version. Help......
  4. Changing ABA file extension from Notepad back to ABA

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.867] is there a registry key to get rid of it now ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-files-extension-disabling-the-if-you/dc219745-91fb-4c6b-9821-76fa22cf20c9
  6. File Extension Changes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Extension Changes: My wife tried to open an Excel file she attached to an email before she sent it to make sure it was the right one. That act then proceeded to try to open over 150 files. They were still scrolling across the top when the only thing I could figure out what to do was to sign...
  7. File extension changed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File extension changed: how can I recover my files that changed to .mado extension? is there any easy idea my all files are encrypted as .mado . How to decrypt ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/file-extension-changed/5eb5c4f3-acce-4907-9e10-857faaec0e1c
  8. Changing file extension of all files in the folder

Changing file extension of all files in the folder: I don't know how to change extensions of all files in my folder. All files don't have any extension and I dont know how to do it with powershell. How do I change it so all of them have extensions?...
  9. Bat File to change notepad text

in Windows 10 Support
    Bat File to change notepad text: Hi, I've been trying to make a batch file to change a line fo text in a .txt file, to the .bat files current directory. for example running it would produce this result: Run .Bat line of text in file changes to the current directory of .bat Anyone know any help with...
  10. How to change a file extension

How to change a file extension: How do I change a file extension or file type in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-a-file-extension/f430aae6-5a42-4b76-b2f4-f45a21f6c8a8"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows10 file extensions all show notepad fix

2. how to change a file extension in notepad

3. change file type notepad windows

4. xlsx extension is notepad