Windows 10: change file type

Discus and support change file type in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was looking through a file within the file called" Windows8 OS". The file was called "Microsoft.SqlServer.Compact.400.32" and it was a "LFL" file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by logman, Nov 23, 2015.

1. logman Win User

change file type

I was looking through a file within the file called" Windows8 OS". The file was called "Microsoft.SqlServer.Compact.400.32" and it was a "LFL" file type. In trying to open it I inadvertently changed it to a "BC" file type.

Question, how do I change it back to it's original file type?

Second question, since it was in a windows 8 OS file does it matter or is it still relevant in my Windows 10 OS ?

:)

logman, Nov 23, 2015
  2. hancal8 Win User

Change File Types

Is there any simple way to change a file type in Windows mobile 8? I'd like to be able to download images and change them to a type usable on my phone without having to move them to my PC, convert them, and move them back. It would be nice to be able to
    do this on the go so I can use them as a background etc.

hancal8, Nov 23, 2015
  3. Change File Types

Unfortunately there's not a way to rename files or change file types on windows phone.

Julie fka profjulie, Nov 23, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

change file type

Do you have your File Explorer set to show the file extensions [hidden by default for a new Windows install]? Having 2 or more periods/dots in a file name makes the letters after the last period the file extension. File extensions can be anything the program uses to create the files. That file in the Windows Folder may no longer be changeable. But you might be able to open a Command Prompt as Administrator and run sfc /scannow to see if it can be repaired.

Berton, Nov 23, 2015
  5. logman Win User
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.......

logman, Nov 24, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    What is Windows8 OS. Doesn't exist on my Windows 10 Pro X64 computer? Where is it located?

Ztruker, Nov 24, 2015
  7. logman Win User
    The" Windows 8_OS (Cchange file type :) is in "This PC" file along with documents, pictures, downloads, music etc..

logman, Nov 26, 2015
  8. swarfega Win User

change file type

Thats the name of your hard drive. Single click on that name in ThisPC and press F2 to rename it. Usually hard drive names dont have file extensions.

swarfega, Nov 26, 2015
  9. logman Win User
    Thank you, I will do that.

logman, Nov 28, 2015
  10. caperjack Win User
    that would be a single right to rename any file

caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

change file type

1. change file type - Similar Threads - change file type

2. All of my file types changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All of my file types changed: recently I ran Snes9x emulator portable app, didn't installed then all of my file extensions changed to Snes9x ROM please help me to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-of-my-file-types-changed/0183484d-903a-469b-bb0a-7ef7ae2826b5
  3. All of my file types changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All of my file types changed: recently I ran Snes9x emulator portable app, didn't installed then all of my file extensions changed to Snes9x ROM please help me to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-of-my-file-types-changed/0183484d-903a-469b-bb0a-7ef7ae2826b5
  4. Changing the file type assocation for a file

Changing the file type assocation for a file: Hi! I've been trying to get rid of Notepad++ as my automatic JSON file launcher thingy but I haven't been able to even after resetting to the defaults. I've tried many solutions I've seen on here but nothing seems to work. I've even deleted Notepad++ but it's not working, and...
  5. File type change issue - win10

in Windows 10 Support
    File type change issue - win10: I double-clicked on this file: Karen 05.FAB. This action should have sent the file to the cloud and pasted a picture of a fabric inside a program. That did not happen this time. The action successfully did the correct thing several times prior to this, so I assume I pressed...
  6. Change Icon By File Type (not by Application)

Change Icon By File Type (not by Application): This is the scenario. I have a music collection that I want all my music files to be played in the same player. I want to be able to look at a file and tell if it is an MP3 or a WAV or a MP4 or an OGG by looking at the ICON (Yes I know I can enable windows to show...
  7. Changing Default Program for File Type

Changing Default Program for File Type: Hi, I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I had renamed it as a .pdf thinking the file is ready to read. Now, I want to change the file type default as nothing, so I can...
  8. Change default program for file types

Change default program for file types: I'm unable to change my default file type for .ini files, .md, etc. I'm trying to use Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. I've attempted it multiple times by going to the file and choosing the default as well as through Default Apps. Anyone know a fix for this? I'm on the...
  9. SRT files type changed!

SRT files type changed!: Hi, i installed KMplayer mins ago and it changed the type of SRT files! i need to make the notepad the default program as previous, how can i did this [ATTACH] i tried to chose it from here and nothing won't change! and i wesnt to setting - default apps - choose...
  10. How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files: Hello everyone I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the "File Type" of "Opera Web...