Windows 10: change file types program to open from (no file explorer or settings)

Discus and support change file types program to open from (no file explorer or settings) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem. I can't change it to camp on explorer (don't know WHAT file that was) and I can't do settings. (it won't list my program on there.)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MelindaGrant-Black, Apr 1, 2019.

1. change file types program to open from (no file explorer or settings)

I have a problem.

I can't change it to camp on explorer (don't know WHAT file that was)

and I can't do settings. (it won't list my program on there.)

how do I work AROUND it? (my program is GIMP.)

:)

MelindaGrant-Black, Apr 1, 2019

2. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Apr 1, 2019
  3. WilN937 Win User
    How do I associate file types with non Microsoft programs?

Thank you for your suggestion. I had already reinstalled the program but did not restart. The restart did not change anything but I did learn a few things later.

• Installation does set the associations for types that are unassigned but it does not change the association for known types at least in many cases.
    • It does not add the new executable to the list of possibilities that File Explorer displays if you click "Open with...". This is not a good thing so I will submit a Feedback.
    • If you select properties for a file you can select change "Opens with:" which will let you browse for a program and it will then change it for all files of that type.

WilN937, Apr 1, 2019
  4. change file types program to open from (no file explorer or settings)

Change Save As File type

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What type of files are you trying to save?
    2. What type of File formats are you referring to?
    3. Are you facing this concern with all Websites?
    However, Try the below suggestions to change the default programs & File associations in Windows 10.

Method 1. Choose a Default Program for specific file types (extensions).

1. Right click on the Start menu and then choose
    Control Panel. Set the View by to Small icons and then choose
    Default Programs.

2. At Default programs options, choose
    set your default programs

3. At the left pane select the application that you want and then click:

a. Set this program as default to make the selected application as the default application to open all files types that it can handle, or

b. Choose defaults for this program to choose which specific file types the selected application can open by default.

b1. If you select the Choose defaults for this program option, then a new window will open that lists all the extensions (types of files) that the selected program can handle (open). Look at the list
    of extensions and select any other extensions (files types) you want to be opened by the selected program. After making your changes, click
    Save.

Method 2. Associate a specific file type (extension) to open with a default program.

The second method is to choose a default program by extension.

1. Go to Control Panel >
    Default programs
    and select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

2. From the list of file extensions, select the extension that you want to change the default program to open with and then click
    Change program.

3. Finally select from the suggested programs or select
    More apps to find another program on your computer, to open files with the selected file extension.

Hope it helps,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Apr 1, 2019
Thema:

change file types program to open from (no file explorer or settings)

1. change file types program to open from (no file explorer or settings) - Similar Threads - change file types

2. Setting File Explorer types

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting File Explorer types: How do I set multiple file extensions for one file type? Since this new version of file explorer requires you to select from a list of file types, how do I modify this list?...
  3. Setting default program by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting default program by file type: I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the Microsoft store." What I want is a "Browse" option so I can choose my own program that I've installed. Why is that not available...
  4. Changing Default Program for File Type

Changing Default Program for File Type: Hi, I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I had renamed it as a .pdf thinking the file is ready to read. Now, I want to change the file type default as nothing, so I can...
  5. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing File Type Views in Explorer: I have many, many photo and video files separated into many subfolders. I'd like to change all of certain types of files to a different view: all video files to extra large icons, for instance. The trouble is, I don't want to change the icon for the subfolders they're...
  6. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing File Type Views in Explorer: I have many, many photo and video files separated into many subfolders. I'd like to change all of certain types of files to a different view: all video files to extra large icons, for instance. The trouble is, I don't want to change the icon for the subfolders they're...
  7. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

8. program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension: I went to control panel, file, and when I click on "change the file type associated with a file extension" the window opens with the blue screen and the file icon in the center but never actually opens up at all....
  9. File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?: I think I'll need a third-party app to do this, or back in the day we had custom super tweaks to windows that could do these things but... explained hopefully as simply as possible; In File Explorer I would love to have a way it knows what type of items are within that...
  10. Change default program for file types

Change default program for file types: I'm unable to change my default file type for .ini files, .md, etc. I'm trying to use Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. I've attempted it multiple times by going to the file and choosing the default as well as through Default Apps. Anyone know a fix for this? I'm on the...