Windows 10: Change folder creation date to match newest file inside?

Discus and support Change folder creation date to match newest file inside? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 x64 20H2 There's one root folder with a lot of subfolders. Each subfolder has one or more subfolders which have the files. I need to copy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Galane, May 28, 2021.

1. Galane Win User

Change folder creation date to match newest file inside?

Windows 10 x64 20H2 There's one root folder with a lot of subfolders. Each subfolder has one or more subfolders which have the files. I need to copy out every file created since October 2020, by selecting the second level folders so that their subfolders and all files in them are kept organized. Doesn't matter if some of the files in a second level folder are older - as long as there's one new file they all need to be copied. The problem is I copied ALL of this to a new drive in early 2020 so Windows of course stamped it all with that as the creation date. Second level folders created since the copy are easy to sort out, but there have been many new, updated, or replaced files in the older folders. G:\MainFolder\ChangeThisFolder'sDate\SecondLevelFolder\OlderFile.ext ------------------------------------------------------\AnotherSecondLevelFolder\NewerFile.ext Change creation date of ChangeThisFolder'sDate to match that of NewerFile.ext, automatically so it doesn't have to be done manually with some utility several hundred times.

:)

Galane, May 28, 2021
  2. Graeme.P Win User

Sort by date added to folder

Hi there, thanks for your question.

In File Explorer, all sorting options can be viewed by following these steps:

- Open the folder and right click inside of it, not on a file.

- Go to Sort by > More.

This brings up a list of all possibilities of what to sort by. It doesn't look like there's an options for "date added to folder", but one of the other Date options may help, such as Date Created. You could create a copy of the file and move it in, so that
    the date created matches the date added to the folder?

Please let me know if you need more information! Thanks!

Graeme.P, May 28, 2021
  3. Microsoft OneDrive Changing The 'Original Creation Date' On Folders?

Please see this

Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in OneDrive
    on this link
    Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in OneDrive - Office Support
    and the general link
    Back up your Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders with OneDrive - Office Support

I appreciate it is One Drive on Microsoft Office but the principle applies to One Drive itself

If OneDrive backup is on the each time a folder is backed up to OneDrive, the creation date is the date of the backup to the Cloud

This happens of course, even if you have not changed edited or deleted or modified anything

Numerous requests have been made to Microsoft for this to be changed, but as far as I know it has not been and Microsoft have I think said it is unlikely it will

I could provide you with numerous examples but I doubt it would help you
    Here are a few
    Keeping Original Folder Creation Date – Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive

Keeping original creation/modification dates when uploadig – Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive

The link below may help you.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-7a7ea2bde4d0
    understand what I mean, but you would NOT I presume wish to follow that - as MOVE of course is not what you want.

Cheers I hope it helps a little
    Please stay safe yourself in the crisis
    Thanks for your best wishes and as it does really matter to you PLEASE do not hesitate to ask for further details if you need them.

Macboatmaster, May 28, 2021
  4. Motim Win User

Files Creation Date

Helllo,
    I have several folders with important documents, letters, notes etc. To keep then safe I just copied the several folders to another location (another disc) in the computer. Noticed that all files in the new location got current date as creation date, not as the originals.
    Tried some backup programs, but when they backup / copy the source folders / files to the target location, files creation date is changes to current date.
    Is it possible to do it keeping the original creation date of the files.
    Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Winver = 1809 17763.864

Motim, May 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Change folder creation date to match newest file inside? - Similar Threads - Change folder creation

2. Some files and folders with wrong creation dates.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some files and folders with wrong creation dates.: I'm a windows 11 pro user. I have installed the OS to a new Drive on August 2023, But there is an empty folder called perflogs which's creation date is 6/5/2021 and also there are some files in the windows folder which has nonsense creation dates like 6/5/2021, 2/23/2017,...
  3. Some files and folders with wrong creation dates.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some files and folders with wrong creation dates.: I'm a windows 11 pro user. I have installed the OS to a new Drive on August 2023, But there is an empty folder called perflogs which's creation date is 6/5/2021 and also there are some files in the windows folder which has nonsense creation dates like 6/5/2021, 2/23/2017,...
  4. how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date: i want to reorder some photos for my android phone to be able to show to my correctly i failed to do that using android appif you there is a way to chage mod date to match creation date or any other sort methods i would be very gratefulthanks...
  5. how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date: i want to reorder some photos for my android phone to be able to show to my correctly i failed to do that using android appif you there is a way to chage mod date to match creation date or any other sort methods i would be very gratefulthanks...
  6. how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date

7. Creation date of a file

Creation date of a file: I rename in PowerShell an existing file from Syslog.log to SyslogBack.log. The creation date of SyslogBack.log is inherited from Syslog.log which is OK.Now I create a new Syslog.log using the PowerShell cmdlet Add-content.It turns out that Windows did not forget about the...
  8. Creation date of a file

Creation date of a file: I rename in PowerShell an existing file from Syslog.log to SyslogBack.log. The creation date of SyslogBack.log is inherited from Syslog.log which is OK.Now I create a new Syslog.log using the PowerShell cmdlet Add-content.It turns out that Windows did not forget about the...
  9. Files Creation Date

in Windows 10 Support
    Files Creation Date: Helllo, I have several folders with important documents, letters, notes etc. To keep then safe I just copied the several folders to another location (another disc) in the computer. Noticed that all files in the new location got current date as creation date, not as the...
  10. File creation date is changed

File creation date is changed: The date and time on my Surface Book Pro Windows 10 is correct. But if a create a new file, the date is wrong https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-creation-date-is-changed/486fc3cc-7ace-4dca-8dd7-ba03bd9c631b"