Windows 10: Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

Discus and support Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sagnik Saha, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in advance- Sagnik Saha

:)

Sagnik Saha, Jul 27, 2021

2. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 27, 2021
  3. Ryan_2013 Win User
    Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Jul 27, 2021
  4. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

Changing name of User-folder in C:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

Unfortunately, you cannot change the "C:\Users\(user-name)" folder's name. Instead, you can create a new administrator account with the name you want, then copy all of the contents of your old user accounts "C:\Users\(user-name)"
    user folders into the corresponding new account's "C:\Users\(user-name)" user folders.

After everything checks out ok, you can then delete the old account from within the new one.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jul 27, 2021
Thema:

Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

1. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user - Similar Threads - Change folder name

2. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  3. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  4. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?: Hi,I would like to update the user folder name.Please Guide ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-folder-name-myname-in-cusers/32ef3ffc-16a4-4785-b7ea-b6c5deac65bc
  6. Changing the name of user under C:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing the name of user under C:\users: Windows 10 ver 20H2 build 19042.928 I just got a refurbished second hand computer and would like to change the user name which is shown under C:\users to one of my own.own liking. Will someone please tell me how, if possible, to do that? Thank you. 179010
  7. Unknown users folder under C:\Users\

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown users folder under C:\Users\: Hey So I noticed that I have my usual user folder in C:\Users\user and then another one which is basically C:\Users\user.LAPTOP-xxxxxxxx. The weird thing is that user.LAPTOP-xxxxxxxx is not the name of my laptop at all if I check under system information. Where is this...
  8. Changing name of folder under Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing name of folder under Users: I need help changing one folder's name in the Users folder. It's the folder that has the name of the device as the folder name. I bought the laptop off my friend but I can't change the name of the one folder. I have already changed the name of the laptop itself in the "About"...
  9. Renaming the user folder under c:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renaming the user folder under c:\users: Hi all. As a user who's part of a domain, my user folder under C:\Users is very long and this is disturbing when I use Bash (WSL). the folder is first.last.domainName and that's too long. Ideally, I just want my user folder to be my first.last name without the domain name...
  10. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...