Windows 10: Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes

Discus and support Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win10Pro64 v2004. Greetings... I've just finished the build of a new PC, and I'm bothered by the large number of useless folders that are displayed in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wallen, Jul 30, 2020.

1. wallen Win User

Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes

Win10Pro64 v2004. Greetings... I've just finished the build of a new PC, and I'm bothered by the large number of useless folders that are displayed in the left pane of open and save dialog boxes. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see. I'm hoping for advice about how to eliminate the display of the needless ones.

In particular, under my user folder (My username is "Me"), there are eight junctions shown, including, for example, "Local Settings" and "PrintHood." Also showing are all of the predefined Windows folders, such as "Documents" and "Downloads", despite the fact that I have re-located them away from the root of my user folder. Finally, these same predefined folders are displaying under "This PC."

Any help on eliminating all of this useless clutter would be appreciated.

Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes [​IMG]

:)

wallen, Jul 30, 2020
  2. masmask Win User

Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window

I know this can be done and I do recall back in 2017 I was reading about this. However there is no possibility to know where exactly I found this two years back.

Just like title says, I want to replace common CIDs used post-Vista to open / browse / save file with older pre-2007 Common FIle Dialog Box (that one with places bar on it).

Below is the one I refer to. Its located under 1552 stylesheet in comdlg32.dll.mui and can be visible in older, typically cross-platform apps. Also visible when you export from regedit. I want all open / save dialog boxes to use this legacy common file dialog. This can be 100% done via registry hack. But I can not remember how exactly.

Anybody have any knowledge on how to do that? If you happen to know how to tell the system to use the legacy dialog box instead of common CIDs, do drop a note below.

masmask, Jul 30, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Dialog Box still display in other language after changed system lang

Hi, see:
    Display language doesnt change in Mail and Calendar apps for Windows 10 - Outlook

Can only suggest 2 other settings offhand, which are not obviously relevant:

and using override:

but I would be surprised if those help...

Also check what happens if you search Settings... do you get an error message?
    What you are seeing may be related to the need one person found to
    a. uninstall updates
    b. apply language
    c. reinstall updates
    Albeit this was related to the error message when searching Settings.

On mine under control panel>system>system>advanced settings, dialogue spelling is English UK FWIW.

dalchina, Jul 30, 2020
  4. Edwin Win User

'Browse For Folders' Dialog Boxes...

@Brink :

Is there a way to get Browse For Folders Dialog Boxes to retain, not only their last size, but also, their last position?

Edwin, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes - Similar Threads - Change folders displayed

2. Menu dialog box displayed on wrong monitor.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Menu dialog box displayed on wrong monitor.: My computer has two monitors. Both have the same native resolution, 1920 x 1200. Many times when I move windows from one monitor to the other, the Menu bar drop downs remain on the original monitor. This happens with multiple apps, so I think it is something that Windows is...
  3. Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window

Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window: I know this can be done and I do recall back in 2017 I was reading about this. However there is no possibility to know where exactly I found this two years back. Just like title says, I want to replace common CIDs used post-Vista to open / browse / save file with older...
  4. 'Browse For Folders' Dialog Boxes...

'Browse For Folders' Dialog Boxes...: @Brink : Is there a way to get Browse For Folders Dialog Boxes to retain, not only their last size, but also, their last position? [img] 132864
  5. how to disable common open file dialog box in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to disable common open file dialog box in windows 10?: How do i disable file dialog box when i cleck Open, or Save as from any applications in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-common-open-file-dialog-box-in/5a99bb2f-8e30-4468-b7e6-e712e3febdd8"
  6. Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...
  7. Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...
  8. Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor),...
  9. Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box: How to: Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box How to Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a...
  10. Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows: How to: Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows How to Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes to Default in Windows [img] Information Starting with Windows Vista, the Common Item Dialog (CID) supersedes the older Common File Dialog when...