Windows 10: Change folders to be above PSD files in Group By Type?

Discus and support Change folders to be above PSD files in Group By Type? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My preference for sorting my files is to have them grouped by type. However, when I do this, my files like .psd, .clip and a few others appear above my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheJammerlee, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Change folders to be above PSD files in Group By Type?

My preference for sorting my files is to have them grouped by type. However, when I do this, my files like .psd, .clip and a few others appear above my folders by default and so far I haven't been able to find an answer on how to fix this. What can I do?

Basically, this is what happens by default:

Change folders to be above PSD files in Group By Type? 0cd2d6c3-d211-424d-94ab-80d82fe3770d?upload=true.png

But this is how I want my folders to appear:

Change folders to be above PSD files in Group By Type? dcc4e5a3-6654-4811-a691-29ec7854c2ae?upload=true.png

I would prefer to keep things grouped by type if possible as this is what I find is best for my overall workflow. Is there anything I can do to change the priority of where the folders appear in the file type grouping?

Thank you for your time!

:)

TheJammerlee, Oct 10, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Open a PSD file

Hi Sandy,

Right click on any psd file, choose 'Open With' - choose another app

Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open psd files'

Scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

If PS Express still does not appear in the list, scroll to the bottom and choose 'Look for another app on this PC'

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe or C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe

Find the PS Express executable and choose that

This should set the files association on the psd files for you

DaveM121, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Open a PSD file

Windows 10. I'm using the Set Default Programs item from the Default Programs control panel item to set the default associations for certain file types (you get a list of possible associations for the selected
    program from which you can pick whichever associations you want).

However, the list seems rather short compared to all the programs I have installed and somewhat arbitrary. I need to open .psd file using adobe photoshop express, but it does not appear on the list. The
    default program assigned is Paint- which is unable to open the file type. The only program option it gives me are Internet Explorer, Epson Monitor (related to my printer) or search windows store (which is a useless option). Where do I go from here?

SandyHarris1, Oct 10, 2019
  4. Change folders to be above PSD files in Group By Type?

Windows 10 Quick Access: Folder & File Grouping (QA grouped by type, folder or file) ceased working

Actually, apologies, I spoke too soon, I rebooted (still had same issue which emerged after a Win10 crash this AM for unknown reason) then executed your suggestion (which to be clear for others was the following steps):

• Opened "File Explorer"
    • Went to View
    • Selected Options from toolbar
    • Selected Change Folder and Search Options - this opened Folder Options box
    • Selected View for View tab
    • in Folder Views box clicked on Reset Folder
    And voila, worked. Earlier try not sure why it did not work but after reboot (and with continued Quick Access issue) this worked.

WilliamFellows, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

Change folders to be above PSD files in Group By Type?

1. Change folders to be above PSD files in Group By Type? - Similar Threads - Change folders above

2. Gray Rectangle on psd files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gray Rectangle on psd files: I dont know whats going on but my psd files now have a gray rectangle over them.It dissappears when i make the icons smaller but they werent like this before.This only happens with psd files.Whats going on, how can i fix this....
  3. Gray Rectangle on psd files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gray Rectangle on psd files: I dont know whats going on but my psd files now have a gray rectangle over them.It dissappears when i make the icons smaller but they werent like this before.This only happens with psd files.Whats going on, how can i fix this....
  4. Gray Rectangle on psd files

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder: As my topic I can do it easy from my old labtop also windows 10 by right-click and choose <folder>command that is not <folder> in <sort by> or <group by>. It is a command to make all files in folders and sub-folders re-arrange grouped to file type folder e.g. word folder, pdf...
  6. How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder: As my topic I can do it easy from my old labtop also windows 10 by right-click and choose <folder>command that is not <folder> in <sort by> or <group by>. It is a command to make all files in folders and sub-folders re-arrange grouped to file type folder e.g. word folder, pdf...
  7. How to group file by type including files in folder and sub-folder together unfolder

8. Unable to change folder Optimization for file types

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change folder Optimization for file types: I have a folder that shows columns for music type files. I select properties - customize - optimize this folder for documents - OK, but nothing changes. If I change the name of the folder I am able to optimize for various types but if I change the name of the folder back to...
  9. PSD file format support

PSD file format support: hi you know this file format PSD is very important for Photoshopers, so please support it. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/psd-file-format-support/bba472e1-0179-46f5-8d19-4a437cc8afc5
  10. How do I disable grouping by file type in the downloads folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I disable grouping by file type in the downloads folder: Hello everyone! So I recently re installed windows 10 1909 and every time i download a file it goes into a folder based on its file type so lets say i download a .zip file it will go into the main downloads folder then a sub folder called archives where the .zip is located....