Windows 10: Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just <path>?

Discus and support Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is it possible to change the default format of the Folder column in Windows Explorer? (so it's just <path to file> instead of <directory of file> in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TomSeely1, Apr 6, 2019.

1. TomSeely1 Win User

Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just ?

Is it possible to change the default format of the Folder column in Windows Explorer? (so it's just <path to file> instead of <directory of file> in <path to directory>)

Context: I'm searching a drive for all files of a given criteria (e.g. all xlsx) to verify files haven't been accidentally moved to the wrong directory. I'm sorting the results by the Folder column which only partly addresses the need in that it groups files in the same directory, but the directories aren't ordered to match the directory structure. I'd like to see the Folder as just the full path, so that nested folders appear contiguously making it much easier to see if there are outliers not in their proper location. Thanks!

:)

TomSeely1, Apr 6, 2019
  2. SunDog Win User

Sorting File Explorer Search output by Folder path

Possibly after editing, this may be useful as a tutorial -- but note the problem at the end ...
    (sorting in Windows File Explorer may not always work correctly).

I tried to include all of the steps. I did not know how to capture a screen shot of the active
    window while the Ribbon was present (to set the View to Details) and
    while the context menu was visible (when right-clicking on one of the column headers).

In performing a search, I used the Search Box in File Explorer.
    I don't let my PC access OneDrive or Google Docs -- generally,
    I do only searches just on my PC or just on the Web.

1. Perform a search.

2. Set the View to Details (if it isn't already).

Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just <path>? [​IMG]

3. (if the Folder path column is not already present...)
    Right-Click on any of the column headers.
    A context menu appears.
    4. Select More in the context menu.

A Choose Details dialog box appears.

(5. You can uncheck the box next to Folders - to get rid of the Folders column).

6. Check the box next to Folder path - to make the Folder path column appear (you'll have to scroll down to find it).
    7. Then, click on the Ok box to dismiss the dialog box and save the changes to the Details View.

8. With the Folder path column now present, click on its column header to sort the listing by Folder path.
    (The next picture shows the result after clicking on the Folder path column header.)

It is unfortunate that either Microsoft forces the search to be re-done or it was something they missed on their part.
    If you want to sort the output using another column header (or reverse the sort order), each time you click on a column header, the search is re-done. Based on what I have read on doing searches in Windows 10, it's possible that Microsoft is currently placing more emphasis on searching using Cortana -- this may be why local file searches using File Explorer do not appear to work as well as they did in Windows 7.

Finally, if you take a closer look at the picture showing the final result, you'll note that the sorting did not work as expected (or at least as I expected). Thus, it appears that sorting in Windows File Explorer may not always work correctly. I have not thoroughly tested this, but there may be a strong dependence of ordering search results in File Explorer on what one uses to search on.

Eugenio

SunDog, Apr 6, 2019
  3. Ernie San Win User
    why won't column headings in File Explorer (Windows 10) stay the way I set them??

Hello,

To resolve the issue with column heading on File Explorer, we suggest to follow the steps below:

• Click on the View Tab.
    • Click Folder Options.

• Click Apply to all folders.
    Keep us posted.

Regards.

Ernie San, Apr 6, 2019
  4. Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just ?

File Explorer Column Headings Keep Resetting

Hi,

To resolve the issue with File Explorer Column Headings, you may follow these steps below:

• Click on View Tab.

• Click
      Folder
      Options.

• Click
      Apply to all folders.

Keep us informed for further assistance.

Regards.

Joseph Ban, Apr 6, 2019
Thema:

Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just ?

1. Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just ? - Similar Threads - Change Format Folder

2. Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just <path>?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just <path>?: Is it possible to change the default format of the Folder column in Windows Explorer so that it displays "<path to file>" instead of "<directory of file> <path to directory>"?This was asked and "solved" here but the solution was never given:...
  3. Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just <path>?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Format of Folder Column in Windows Explorer to just <path>?: Is it possible to change the default format of the Folder column in Windows Explorer so that it displays "<path to file>" instead of "<directory of file> <path to directory>"?This was asked and "solved" here but the solution was never given:...
  4. How can I force Explorer to show a folder path in compact format?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I force Explorer to show a folder path in compact format?: Once again, MS has decided that obese is best.In order to show the full path of a folder, the folder has to be opened to a huge width, wider than the width of my monitor. If I don't increase the width, I cannot see the drive letter. If I hold the mouse over the path, the...
  5. How can I force Explorer to show a folder path in compact format?

How can I force Explorer to show a folder path in compact format?: Once again, MS has decided that obese is best.In order to show the full path of a folder, the folder has to be opened to a huge width, wider than the width of my monitor. If I don't increase the width, I cannot see the drive letter. If I hold the mouse over the path, the...
  6. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path: In explorer, if I search for something, say "Fallout4*.ini" in my Steam library, my search results in Details view look like this:NameDate modifiedType SizeFolderFallout4_Default.ini13/10/2021 15:05Configuration settings3 KBFallout 4...
  7. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path: In explorer, if I search for something, say "Fallout4*.ini" in my Steam library, my search results in Details view look like this:NameDate modifiedType SizeFolderFallout4_Default.ini13/10/2021 15:05Configuration settings3 KBFallout 4...
  8. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. File Explorer - Folder Columns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer - Folder Columns: Until recently, less than a month ago, I was able to view the Backup Method full, differential, incremental as a column in File Explorer. That column is no longer available to add. What happened?...
  10. Change the columns shown in Windows 10 Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the columns shown in Windows 10 Explorer: In Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Ver. 2004... Can you change the columns shown in Windows Explorer for a specific folder and it's sub folders, without changing the columns in all folders? I have tried following the procedure shown on the Microsoft site, and have had mixed results....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folders arent music why the headings