Windows 10: Change from AHCI to IDE SATA mode without reinstalling OS / Disable NCQ

Discus and support Change from AHCI to IDE SATA mode without reinstalling OS / Disable NCQ in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone, My Computer is quite old, but still powerful enough for my daily work. It's a custom built pc with a AMD FX 8320, 16 GB RAM and 2TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/zultan32, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Change from AHCI to IDE SATA mode without reinstalling OS / Disable NCQ

Hello everyone, My Computer is quite old, but still powerful enough for my daily work. It's a custom built pc with a AMD FX 8320, 16 GB RAM and 2TB Samsung SSD. It runs fine except that it freezes from time to time. So the system freezes for like 2 to 30 seconds, and either continues running, or it gives a bluescreen with a DPC Watchdog Violation error. In the system monitor you can see that the response time from the SSD is sometimes quite high (>500ms). I already tried installing chipset drivers from AMD website, updated the BIOS, flashed the newest SSD Firmware, changed the SATA port and installed the newest graphics card driver. Apparently it's an issue between the AMD chipset and the Samsung SSD. So the problem also occurs under Unix. See the following link https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201693 The bug report states that one should deactivate NCQ. Since there is no option to do that under Windows, one should switch from AHCI mode to IDE mode. How can I do that without reinstalling the system?

submitted by /u/zultan32
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/zultan32, Jul 6, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

Changing IDE to AHCI Mode

I learned through trial (and lots of errors) too.

Before reading that, the only solution I knew of to switch over from IDE to AHCI mode was repartioning the drive, reformatting and reinstalling the OS with SATA mode set to AHCI in BIOS.

An drive setup in IDE mode works fine as a slave in a system set to AHCI.

Sasqui, Jul 6, 2020
  3. KubekVF Win User
    Change SATA mode to AHCI from IDE

I was able to change it now (I also had some issues with NICs so I decided to reinstall my PC but I wanted to keep my files, programs, settings .... ). Here is how:

• Lunch application "setup.exe" from path "c:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows\" (simply running upgrade to 10 again, but this time from windows 10)
    • After first reboot, change SATA mode to AHCI and let Windows finish upgrade
    • Everything should be fine now
    I am now running my disks in AHCI mode now and even don't have (so far) issues I had before.

KubekVF, Jul 6, 2020
  4. KubekVF Win User

Change from AHCI to IDE SATA mode without reinstalling OS / Disable NCQ

Change SATA mode to AHCI from IDE

Good morning,

some time ago I installed Win 7 Pro. I haven't noticed that SATA mode is IDE. I wonder how I can switch now to AHCI. I have SSD and motherboard with SATA 3, so it would be shame to not do so.

I found some instructions on the internet but none of them seems to work for me on Windows 10 Pro 64bit (registry change, safe mode ...). I always get "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" BSOD
    after I change mode to AHCI and try to boot PC again.

Could I maybe use refresh or reset? Which could help me?

Thank you very much

KubekVF, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

Change from AHCI to IDE SATA mode without reinstalling OS / Disable NCQ

1. Change from AHCI to IDE SATA mode without reinstalling OS / Disable NCQ - Similar Threads - Change AHCI IDE

2. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  3. SATA AHCI controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SATA AHCI controller: Lately I have been using an older hp 15 laptop I have as my newer laptop is having some keyboard issues. My older laptop has plenty of issues on its own, not being able to update and stuff. Working on those issues myself, but opening task manager I notice cpu and disk are...
  4. DO NOT UPDATE to INTEL SATA AHCI from Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI!!!

DO NOT UPDATE to INTEL SATA AHCI from Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI!!!: Yup, you heard me... Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI performs a lot better, and easy on the CPU fan than the Intel ACHI driver. I updated on two of my desktop pcs, one is stuck at startup diagnoses bootloop, and the other one is drying every bit of juice from the fan on...
  5. IDE to AHCI help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IDE to AHCI help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO). I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  6. Changing RAID to AHCI without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing RAID to AHCI without reinstalling Windows 10: Hi there, I have a Dell XPS 13 7390, x64, Microsoft Windows 10 Home, IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 core, bios: 1.4.0, latest version, 16,0 GB. I need to change my setting from RAID to AHCI, but want to avoid a new installation of Windows 10...
  7. Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI: Sorry to bother you all. I am currently trying to change my SATA mode from IDE to AHCI but in my BIOS the option to change it is grayed out. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My Specs are: Packard Bell imedia S1800 PC Ram: 2.0 GB DDR3 SSD: Crucial BX200 Media...
  8. AHCI and IDE

AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  9. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Support
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  10. How to change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10

How to change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10: How do I change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10, so I can use a MSATA SSD for caching with IRST? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-from-ahci-to-raid-without/0d2b9a8a-f8d8-4a67-ac73-9fab3f217d03

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ncq windows 10