Windows 10: Change how the pagefile works? (not the size of it)

Discus and support Change how the pagefile works? (not the size of it) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, My question might seem a bit bizarre, let me explain myself real quick: So I noticed a strange behavior with Windows' memory management. I always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by User1552635, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Change how the pagefile works? (not the size of it)

Hi,
    My question might seem a bit bizarre, let me explain myself real quick:

So I noticed a strange behavior with Windows' memory management. I always use Chrome and it's always loaded with tabs, uses at least 2.5-3.5GB.
    When I launch a game that uses quite a bit of RAM, over the course of about 10 minutes, Windows keeps flushing Chrome's data from the RAM to the pagefile on my SSD even though my total RAM usage is around 10-11GB and I have 16 gigs total, not even close to maxing it out.

This is really annoying for me and completely unnecessary since I still have plenty of free RAM.
    I don't want to disable the pagefile, but would like to know if anyone has an idea on how to change the trigger point of when Windows decides to start moving programs' data from RAM to the pagefile.
    I want to have it kick in only when my RAM usage hits the 85-90% mark. If anyone has an idea on how to do that it would be great.

Thanks.

Here's what I mean:
    https://imgur.com/a/CLqktwR#A4xy6tF

(Notice the time difference, and how it went from 70% to 55% used RAM, mainly half of Chrome's data has been moved.)

:)

User1552635, Nov 10, 2019

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Nov 10, 2019
  3. how do i change the font size?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the font size and check if it helps.

• Go to settings and click on system.
    • Under display tab there's a slider on this page that you can use to change the size of text, apps and other items.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 10, 2019
  4. Change how the pagefile works? (not the size of it)

increase text size

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps to change the font size:

• Click on "Windows logo" and select "Settings".
    • Select "System".
    • You can change the font size here.

Follow the steps to go to Control Panel:

• Type "Control Panel" in the search bar.
    • Select "Control Panel" from suggestions.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

Change how the pagefile works? (not the size of it)

1. Change how the pagefile works? (not the size of it) - Similar Threads - Change pagefile works

2. "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...: Every time I launch my computer this popup comes up and I'm taken to virtual memory in system properties, it says I have 0mb in page file size, I have tried everything I can find online, I tried clean boot which did nothing, resetting which is blocked by an error, deleting...
  3. "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...: Every time I launch my computer this popup comes up and I'm taken to virtual memory in system properties, it says I have 0mb in page file size, I have tried everything I can find online, I tried clean boot which did nothing, resetting which is blocked by an error, deleting...
  4. "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Pagefile huge size problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pagefile huge size problem: Hi there, My pagefile seems to be quite large at 11264MB, 11GB~. I am really confused why this has happened, even though I manually set my SSD to off, my secondary HDD to off and manually set my first HDD to on with 400MB to 1912MB the recommended. See picture for...
  6. Changed pagefile size and now the laptop won't boot up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changed pagefile size and now the laptop won't boot up: Hi, I recently read a post about changing your pagefile size to increase performance. 1.5xRAM and 4xRAM which for me was 12000 34000 I've tried to reset bios settings, use the cmd to change the pagefile size which gives an error of no instances running as well changing...
  7. How do i change the font size in Works

How do i change the font size in Works: How do I change the fot size in Works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-font-size-in-works/8ece89bd-33fe-4670-8c18-a6f428caf20a
  8. PageFile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PageFile: I'm really in need of pc storage, I tried everything to empty the PageFile.sys at shutdown by changing the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 1 on the registry, and I tried to change it's location to my E drive where I have more space by nothing won't work the file stay in C...
  9. (Solved) Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot

(Solved) Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot: I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 8 GB RAM. Recently it has been especially laggy and "Not responding" even when only file explorer is open. Saw a tip online to change the minimum and maximum pagefile sizes to 1.5xRAM and 4xRAM respectively. Those values seemed within the...
  10. Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot

Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot: I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 8 GB RAM. Recently it has been especially laggy and "Not responding" even when only file explorer is open. Saw a tip online to change the minimum and maximum pagefile sizes to 1.5xRAM and 4xRAM respectively. Those values seemed within the...