Windows 10: Change Icon By File Type (not by Application)

Discus and support Change Icon By File Type (not by Application) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is the scenario. I have a music collection that I want all my music files to be played in the same player. I want to be able to look at a file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cynyster, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Cynyster Win User

Change Icon By File Type (not by Application)

This is the scenario. I have a music collection that I want all my music files to be played in the same player.

I want to be able to look at a file and tell if it is an MP3 or a WAV or a MP4 or an OGG by looking at the ICON

(Yes I know I can enable windows to show extensions but if you are looking in icon view the file names are usually to long to see the extension)

I am comfortable modifying the registry if that is what it takes.

Is there a way to change windows explorer icons by file types?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Cynyster, Mar 25, 2019

2. Custom File Icons?

I've got a program that creates various file types; some of these are associated with the program and display its icon. Is it possible to keep the file association, but change the icons for some of the associated types so they stand out in a listing?

If so, then ideally I'd like to extract the icon from the exe, make three slightly different versions, and make these display (at all scales) for the three main file types. Any suggestions for tools to do this? I have Photoshop CS5.

nigelmercier, Mar 25, 2019
  3. Change Save As File type

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What type of files are you trying to save?
    2. What type of File formats are you referring to?
    3. Are you facing this concern with all Websites?
    However, Try the below suggestions to change the default programs & File associations in Windows 10.

Method 1. Choose a Default Program for specific file types (extensions).

1. Right click on the Start menu and then choose
    Control Panel. Set the View by to Small icons and then choose
    Default Programs.

2. At Default programs options, choose
    set your default programs

3. At the left pane select the application that you want and then click:

a. Set this program as default to make the selected application as the default application to open all files types that it can handle, or

b. Choose defaults for this program to choose which specific file types the selected application can open by default.

b1. If you select the Choose defaults for this program option, then a new window will open that lists all the extensions (types of files) that the selected program can handle (open). Look at the list
    of extensions and select any other extensions (files types) you want to be opened by the selected program. After making your changes, click
    Save.

Method 2. Associate a specific file type (extension) to open with a default program.

The second method is to choose a default program by extension.

1. Go to Control Panel >
    Default programs
    and select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

2. From the list of file extensions, select the extension that you want to change the default program to open with and then click
    Change program.

3. Finally select from the suggested programs or select
    More apps to find another program on your computer, to open files with the selected file extension.

Hope it helps,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Mar 25, 2019
  4. Snook PoP Win User

Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview

I use Google SketchUp a lot and each new model/file I create, SketchUp makes a .skb back up file of the last save. I was able to create a subkey in the registry to associate a different icon file for the .skb files but it does not change the icon if the folder view is set to medium, large, or extra large icons and gives a thumbnail preview of the file contents.

Examples of the same files in the same folder below.

Change Icon By File Type (not by Application) [​IMG]

Change Icon By File Type (not by Application) [​IMG]

Notice how in the thumbnail preview all the file type icons are red and in the detailed list view the .skb file icons are black and the regular .skp files are red, like I want them.

In this particular folder it does not matter, just an example. But when navigating through other folders that contain many image files as well as the .skb & .skp files it can be confusing to tell which is which and I don't want to edit the wrong one. The thumbnail preview can be very helpful so I am trying to avoid changing the folder views.

If anyone has an idea of how to change that icon in the thumbnail view it would save me a lot of time and confusion, thanks in advance.

Snook PoP, Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Icon By File Type (not by Application) - Similar Threads - Change Icon File

2. How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type: Hi, I wish to change "jpg" files type to open in Photoshop Elements 2020 Editor but Windows no longer offer the choice to navigate to my PC "PhotoshopElementEditor.exe" file. How can I change this? Thanks,...
  3. One application opens multiple file types. How can I change the icons for each of these types?

One application opens multiple file types. How can I change the icons for each of these types?: I use a program called Wavelab that opens and uses 4 different file types: WAV, MP3, AIF and MON. How can I change the icons for each of these file types without affecting all of the file types that are associated with Wavelab? I tried using FileTypesMan and...
  4. Associating applications with file types

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Associating applications with file types: I have two applications that will open a particular file type- an older and a newer application. Files tend to open with the older, less useful application; to get the newer app with the better functionality I need to Right-click the file and select "Open With" from the...
  5. Can you automate changing default application for a file type?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you automate changing default application for a file type?: I have an application (WPS Office) which repeatedly hijacks the default application setting for PDF away from Acrobat Reader to itself. I don't want this and it wastes a good deal of my time as I keep on setting it back to where it should be. Is there a way, such as a...
  6. Can you automate changing default application for a file type?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you automate changing default application for a file type?: I have an application (WPS Office) which repeatedly hijacks the default application setting for PDF away from Acrobat Reader to itself. I don't want this and it wastes a good deal of my time as I keep on setting it back to where it should be. Is there a way, such as a...
  7. Change icon of application (Almost there...)

Change icon of application (Almost there...): Hi everybody. Maybe someone can help me *Smile I'm trying to change the icon of an application to better suit the windows 10 look, the app is the Postbox email client. So far I used Resource Hacker and I almost did it, I changed the original icon, the shortcuts in the...
  8. Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview

Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview: I use Google SketchUp a lot and each new model/file I create, SketchUp makes a .skb back up file of the last save. I was able to create a subkey in the registry to associate a different icon file for the .skb files but it does not change the icon if the folder view is set to...
  9. Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst: I some how changed file type .dst to open with Corel Draw. I need to change it back to unknown application. I am operating with Windows 10. I have tried going through control panel/default programs/ however it forces me to pick an application, no option for "unknown...
  10. change file type

in Windows 10 Support
    change file type: I was looking through a file within the file called" Windows8 OS". The file was called "Microsoft.SqlServer.Compact.400.32" and it was a "LFL" file type. In trying to open it I inadvertently changed it to a "BC" file type. Question, how do I change it back to it's...