Windows 10: Change icon for .exe

Discus and support Change icon for .exe in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 Home 64 and want to change the .exe icon for a program I have. If I go to properties there is no way to do this so how is this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bha19, Apr 6, 2016.

1. bha19 Win User

Change icon for .exe

I am using Windows 10 Home 64 and want to change the .exe icon for a program I have. If I go to properties there is no way to do this so how is this done in Windows 10 without creating a shortcut or another program? I used to be able to do this before Windows 10. Also there is a similar program .exe on my computer that has the icon I want but if I try to create a short cut for the program I want to use this icon with and then go to change icon and try to use the icon from the .exe I want it says that the .exe I want the icon from has no icon associated with it how can this be when it is there in front of me?

:)

bha19, Apr 6, 2016

2. FileTypesMan messed up .exe icons

So I used FileTypesMan to change the icon of .exe files. Turns out, this changes all programs to have that icon, they don't use what they were given. For example, google chrome has the default .exe icon instead of the google chrome icon. What would really
    help me is if I knew how to undo the changes that FileTypesMan did or fix it at all. I am on Windows 10, so please tell me what to do knowing that. Thanks, I really hope I get help.

BlockCabin, Apr 6, 2016
  3. Application Icons History and Mystery

I compile an application (xyz) with an icon and everything looks fine. I recompile the same application (xyz) with a different icon but the newly compiled second application still shows the old xyz icon. I compile the same application for the third time
    as an EXE file with just a different name (abc) and I can see the new icon that I want to see. Now when I rename the 3rd compiling abc to xyz, ironically the icon changes back to the original xyz icon (when renamed back to abc the new icon is restored). (1)
    Can anyone please highlight where windows 10 is keeping the history of EXE files and their icons? (2) Is there a way to change/overwrite this information at the compile time?

OldManHere, Apr 6, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Change icon for .exe

So in properties there is no shortcut tab at all ? What icon are you going to use for this program and it has to be put in correct place for it to work. I have done this with games only myself.

jds63, Apr 6, 2016
  5. bha19 Win User
    Strange thing happened the .exe icon that was blank (looks like a white sheet of paper with one corner folded over) is now correct today. Any how until yesterday it was not correct so I right clicked on it and then clicked on properties. What comes up is general/compatibility/security/details/previous versions. If I create a shortcut to the .exe then hit properties on the shortcut there is a way to change the icon. The problem there was the icon I wanted to change it to said there was no icon associated with it. How could this be. Anyhow all seems fine now but I would still like to know how to change the icon picture of an original .exe and not the shortcut.

bha19, Apr 6, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Download: Resource Hacker and follow the instruction on the webpage to change the Icon for the executable.

NOTE: there's a portable version on the bottom of the page, download and unzip then run. No installation required.

topgundcp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Change icon for .exe

1. Change icon for .exe - Similar Threads - Change icon exe

2. *.exe icons changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    *.exe icons changed: I am running Windows 11. All of my *.exe files have turned into this iconI have deleted the following files:%LOCALAPPDATA%\IconCache.db%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\icon*.db, %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumb*.dbI have also run "sfc /scannow" which...
  3. *.exe icons changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    *.exe icons changed: I am running Windows 11. All of my *.exe files have turned into this iconI have deleted the following files:%LOCALAPPDATA%\IconCache.db%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\icon*.db, %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumb*.dbI have also run "sfc /scannow" which...
  4. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon: Hi all,I have a highly customized system and among the changes I made to other icons, I somehow changed my .exe icon too, MEANING that most ALL .exe files now have the SAME custom icon rather than the icon for each program like they are generally supposed to have. Example:...
  5. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon: Hi all,I have a highly customized system and among the changes I made to other icons, I somehow changed my .exe icon too, MEANING that most ALL .exe files now have the SAME custom icon rather than the icon for each program like they are generally supposed to have. Example:...
  6. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to change an .exe icon?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change an .exe icon?: I have a program with no icon and it's been bugging me and want to change it's icon to my own. Is there any way to do this? submitted by /u/Got69TypesOfMalware [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j4w67g/how_to_change_an_exe_icon/
  8. how do you change an icon of a .exe file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do you change an icon of a .exe file?: yeah all i really need to figure out is how to change an icon of a .exe file. i tried going into properties but there seems to be no way https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-an-icon-of-a-exe-file/42646a8b-53f8-48b5-ae6f-2131d568eb50
  9. Changing EXE Icons not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing EXE Icons not working: So in a nutshell what I am trying to do is change the icon of an executable, sounds simple right? Here is what I have done: 1) Open the EXE in Resource Hacker 2) Replace the Icon with the Icon I want. My icon has all the sizes including the mini task bar/frame icon....
  10. Application (.exe) icon changed after fall creator update

in Windows 10 Support
    Application (.exe) icon changed after fall creator update: Hello i just updated my windows 10 to creators update. When i open my explorer, i looked up my .exe files icon (all .exe files include application that installed and installer itself) change into some kinda shield with red and white color. Can someone tell me whathappen and...