Windows 10: Change Icon for External Drives

Discus and support Change Icon for External Drives in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I still use the QuickI Launch Bar and have several external drives I want to be listed on it. When I go into properties to change the icon on each... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Wynona, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Wynona Win User

Change Icon for External Drives

I still use the QuickI Launch Bar and have several external drives I want to be listed on it.

When I go into properties to change the icon on each one, I'm really, really, really limited in what I can choose; maybe a couple of choices.

For example, I have a Toshiba that I want to change to an actual Toshiba logo icon. The problem is that I don't know how to add the Toshiba logo icon to the list of icons MS gives me to work with. Did I make any sense with this?

I know I can't go to the Toshiba site and grab an icon and put it on my Quick Launch Bar. So . . . anyone got any ideas?

:)

Wynona, Apr 18, 2021

2. Change external hard drive icon?

Hi, I have two quick questions. I have a western digital ext. hard drive and when i installed it, the icon was messed up and it is just one of those white error icons. is there a way to change it?

and seecond question. I was trying to change the icon, and accidently messed something up. not quite sure what, but whenever i double click on my hard drive to open it, instead of opening up the contents it opens up a search in a new window. anyway to change that?

Thanks for any help.

Pitchblack1110, Apr 18, 2021
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Apr 18, 2021
  4. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Apr 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Change Icon for External Drives - Similar Threads - Change Icon External

2. External Drive desktop icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Drive desktop icon: I have both a Mac and Windows laptop and I love that on my Mac when I plug in an external drive an icon automatically appears on the desktop, is this possible with my Windows laptop running Windows 10?...
  3. External drive name changed to boot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drive name changed to boot.: My external drive name recently changed to boot and I lost all of my files on it, I now cannot reinstall said files on my C drive. I deleted the files within the drive and nothing changed, the storage space also changed from 1TB to 252MB....
  4. an icon on screen for USB EXTERNAL drive

an icon on screen for USB EXTERNAL drive: i want a short cut to open USB external device on the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-icon-on-screen-for-usb-external-drive/1f084b40-9a63-4464-82fb-d91898f25902
  5. How to change an external drive name?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change an external drive name?: I have multiple Western Digital external USB drives. Windows shows them as: "WD My Book 1230 USB Device" I mean this way: [img] Sizes are different though, e.g. 4TB 6TB. Within Windows Explorer, it is all clear, the drives have different names. When connecting the...
  6. External drive icons

External drive icons: I have custom photos or ico files for external drives using windows 10- how can I make the photo fill the entire border of the icon ? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-icons/55578fe2-c233-4d13-9650-5269220fa159"
  7. Change permissions on external drive

Change permissions on external drive: How do I change Permissions on an external hard drive from someone else's laptop? I've connected a friend's hard drive to my laptop via a SATA/USB cable, but can't get access to Users directories....
  8. Change Drive Icons

Change Drive Icons: Can you change the drive icons in Win 10? I did this in Win 8.1. In regedit -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURENTVERSION\EXPLORER, it won't let me type DriveIcons. [img] 35800
  9. changed access to external hard drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    changed access to external hard drive: I made a mistake by changing something I should not. My system is dutch so I must translate, which is probably not always clear, sorry for that. Here is what happened: I opened filebrowser and I saw a little icon with two heads under my external hard drive. I thought that...
  10. how to change icon for external hd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to change icon for external hd: I have a wdlogo.ico and the following file on the root name of the file autorun.inf [autorun] icon="wdlogo.ico" But i see no changes in the explorer 61686