Windows 10: Change Icons based on extension only, not the associated application.

Discus and support Change Icons based on extension only, not the associated application. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I want to assign a custom icon to every file type no matter what the associated app is. I can change individual default icons, but they get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Artist, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Artist Win User

Change Icons based on extension only, not the associated application.

Hi, I want to assign a custom icon to every file type no matter what the associated app is. I can change individual default icons, but they get overwritten by the application icon. Is it possible to do this :
    Change Icons based on extension only, not the associated application. [​IMG]

And if so, how ? (I want to keep the file associations: .css and .txt are still getting open by Sublime, .ini by WordPad and so on ...)

Thanks.

:)

Artist, Feb 2, 2016

2. System Icons in Search Field

So I just realized that it's displaying the icon that is associated with image file extensions, if that helps. Also, if I pin any of those particular applications (calculator, calendar, camera, settings, store), the proper icon is displayed. The only area
    in which there is an issue displaying the proper icon is the search field.

Anthony Falez, Feb 2, 2016
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    File associations and file icons in Win 10 for non-MS types

It is, in fact, quite easy, if tedious, to amend file associations in Windows 10:

Go to - Start Button (Windows Flag Icon) > "Settings" > "System" > "Default Apps" > "Choose default applications by file type" (in the right-hand pane); and set/amend the Default apps by working through the list of extensions clicking on the app icons to
    get a list of alternatives that can open the files. On completion, the issue you'll be left with is the proprietary file extensions that can only be opened with the 'rogue' application you are trying to remove.

Erdeslawe, Feb 2, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Feb 3, 2016
  5. Artist Win User
    Yeah, I did that, but it changes only the default icons. (As you can see, it worked for .rtf). But most of the time, the icons I add in the registry are overridden by the default app icon (in the example, Sublime, Edge or WordPad). I can change the app icon but it is used for all the different extensions that app opens, so that doesn't work either (unless I get a different app for every file type, but that would be absurd). Is there a way the tell Windows to NOT use the associated app icon and keep using the DefaultIcon for files?

ie. in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for .css I have the default set to CSSfile and Default Icon to my custom CSS.ico

I also have the CSSfile Default set the that same icon, something like this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    .css
    (Default) = CSSFile
    DefaultIcon
    (Default) = CSS.ico
    CSSFile DefaultIcon(Default) = CSS.icoAnd yet the displayed icon is still the Sublime icon. BTW there is no mention of Sublime in the registry entries of .css or CSSFile.

Artist, Feb 4, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you might find this freeware program helpful:

If you succeed, strongly recommend you also start using disk imaging periodically, so your changes are preserved. (A great backup technique).

dalchina, Feb 4, 2016
  7. Artist Win User
    I think it has to do with the way some apps work. In my registry there are entries for .avi, .mpg, vlc.avi, vlc.mpg, winamp.avi, winamp.mpg. If I change the Default value of vlc.avi and vlc.mpg and associate those file types to VLC, it works: the icons reflect the the extension yet both are opened with VLC.

But it doesn't work with Sublime. both .txt and .css files are associated with it but there are no clear entries to reflect this in the registry. (ie .css point to CSSFile which is weirdly associated with .css and .ini in DefaultProgramsEditor). Nor is there any entry like Sublime.txt and Sublime.css that could help.

Sadly, DefaultProgramsEditor does not help here, as Sublime does NOT appear in the default programs list even though Iit does inthe "Open with ... " context menu, and if I change the icon of any file type associated with Sublime it get applied to all the others as well.

Artist, Feb 4, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Does this one help? I really can't tell as I don't have your program installed..

Nirsoft's software is really reliable..

dalchina, Feb 4, 2016
  9. Artist Win User
    Nope, it just does what the other programs do.

I also tried adding my own keys but it doesn't matter. Weird thing is that if I change .txt default nothing happens, but if I change .css all the other icons are replaced with it, both are opened with SublimeText3. The entry for .txt says it's opened with notepad, and the .css one point to my custom SublimeText3.css entry that redirects to sublime.exe. Something, somewhere is overwriting everything ...

Artist, Feb 7, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Have you tried running the prog as admin? I'd guess you'd have to log off/on to see the effect.

When is the icon you've entered overwritten?

For example, if you change one icon, log off, log on, then inspect the registry/use one of those programs, do you see a change in icon?

Repeat with a clean boot to see if sthg run on startup is having the effect you describe.

Just some ideas as you need to diagnose what is happening. Good luck!

dalchina, Feb 7, 2016
  11. Artist Win User
    I see the change right away, most progs that change icons call a refresh, either on change on on exit. The icons are overwritten when I change some specific extensions, ie. using FilesTypesMan to change the Icon of .ini overwrites the custom icons of the other extensions that are opened with the same app like .css or .txt .

Artist, Feb 7, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    I suspect there's a difference between when the change becomes visible- effective if you like- and when the changed registry is written back to disk. Which is why if you suddenly lose power, say, some changes you've made are lost.

Ok, so at what point do you think your change is overwritten?

dalchina, Feb 7, 2016
  13. Artist Win User

I don't see any difference between the visual change (the app calling a refresh) and a complete restart of the PC, icons are the same. Has to be conflicting entries or windows treating some extensions differently, like stuff that can opened natively by Windows or something.

Edit: managed to make it work by adding my own custom entries like so:

.ext
    - (Default) program.extention

program.extention
    - DefaultIcon extention.ico
    - shell
    -- open
    --- command program.exe

Had to try to open a file and confirm the "open with" for the changes to apply.

Edit2: made a template to do this faster:

icon changer.reg
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ext]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ext]
    "PerceivedType"=""//text/vid/etc...
    @="prog.ext"
    "Content Type"=""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\prog.ext]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\prog.ext]
    @="ext description"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\prog.ext\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Users\\abc123\\Pictures\\Icons\\ext.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\prog.ext\shell\open\command] //don't forget to add the other commands, if any ...
    @=""C:\\Program Files\\prog\\prog.exe""

Edit3: some default Icons are still hard to change, .exe is overwritten by something, but I don't know what.
    Edit4: Had to change the default windows application icon to display my icon on .exe files. You can use CustomizeGod or some other program that can edit System Icons.

Artist, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Icons based on extension only, not the associated application. - Similar Threads - Change Icons based

2. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  3. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  4. win11 change file association icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win11 change file association icon: I do not like the WinZip app as I can not open several at one time. I used ti be able to extract several to their own folder, so I DL 7zip and it changed the icon so I can recognized the file a a zipper it was a folder with a zipper on it how do I get it to return???? I now...
  5. win11 change file association icon

win11 change file association icon: I do not like the WinZip app as I can not open several at one time. I used ti be able to extract several to their own folder, so I DL 7zip and it changed the icon so I can recognized the file a a zipper it was a folder with a zipper on it how do I get it to return???? I now...
  6. Unwanted fie extension association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unwanted fie extension association: I have inadvertently associated a .xcfg file extension to open with an app. How do I completely remove the unwanted association to leave .xcfg files at the default with no associated app....
  7. Associate file extensions to a program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate file extensions to a program: I am trying to associate a jpg file to Adobe Photoshop in a Windows 10 process that appears to continually direct me to a Windows 10 default recommendation. I managed to find two columns showing an incredible number of extensions on the left and the apps or programs on the...
  8. Remove (not change) file extension association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove (not change) file extension association: I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ?? This user was very helpful...
  9. program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension: I went to control panel, file, and when I click on "change the file type associated with a file extension" the window opens with the blue screen and the file icon in the center but never actually opens up at all....
  10. CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?: Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?...