Windows 10: Change Icons Text Size in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Icons Text Size in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Oddly, using method 2 and selecting the largest font size made my icon text so small it is now unreadable. Is there a way to undo method two? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Joanne, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ferglets Win User

Change Icons Text Size in Windows 10

Oddly, using method 2 and selecting the largest font size made my icon text so small it is now unreadable. Is there a way to undo method two?

ferglets, Jul 11, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello ferglets, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Using the .reg file for the default size will restore it back to default.

What do you have your screen resolution and DPI scaling currently set to?

Brink, Jul 11, 2017
  3. ferglets Win User
    Thanks for replying, Brink!

I was at the recommended 4500 x 3000 when I made the change in the registry. Afterward, to read icon labels and file directories I had to bump my screen down to 3375 2250 with a 400% magnification factor. Oddly, the menu registry tweak caused no such havoc.

ferglets, Jul 11, 2017
  4. Jules99 Win User

Thanks for the tip - I got a useful answer from the other forum regarding how to change font sizes in MS Access 2010
    (the controls are in the bottom right hand corner).

Jules99, Jul 11, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad you got it sorted. *Smile

Brink, Jul 11, 2017
  6. ferglets Win User
    Brink,
    I downloaded and ran the default icon size file, with disastrous results. (Screen shot attached). Is there a way to restore the registry to what it was before this tinkering began?
    Thanks,
    Brian

Change Icons Text Size in Windows 10 [​IMG]

ferglets, Jul 12, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brian,

The quickest way is to do a system restore using a restore point dated before you changed them.

Otherwise, you could try different sizes until one looks best for you.

Brink, Jul 12, 2017
  8. ferglets Win User

Sadly, I only have backups of files, but no disk image. And even when using the largest font size you've made available, my icon titles and--more importantly-- the file lists in all my directories are now smaller than they were when I started the process. Let this be a cautionary note to all who try this.

ferglets, Jul 13, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 13, 2017
  10. Kbird Win User
    Open Control Panel>Recovery>Open System Restore

and see if you have a recent Registry backup , if not Open Config. System Restore , and enable it of c:\ , so you have one for next time you play in the Registry.

Brink has also made a tutorial on how to make a Custom desktop Restore Icon , you can click anytime to make a System Restore Point ( ie make a registry backup)

Create System Restore Point shortcut in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

PS what numb nut at M$ decided it was a good idea to remove the ability to adjust Icon and Menu Text heights...

KB

Kbird, Jul 14, 2017
  11. mb300e Win User
    Hi Brink, I got to page four of this thread then decided to back track to page one and reply. I just bought a new Laptop it is a Microsoft Surface Book 1TB i7 16GB GPU2 and it came with Windows 10 Pro Build14393.rs1_release.170706-2004. I found that I could barely read the Icon text on the desktop. It must be an age thing at 76 or maybe too much scotch.

I have it set up in a dual monitor scheme. The Laptop screen is 3000 x 2000 resolution. The second monitor is an older HP w2338h set at 1920 x 1080. I followed your instructions using Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Display to "Change only the text size". I set the size to 10 and Bold and it worked perfectly for me. The Desktop Icon text with just about any wallpaper is now a strong bright white and is legible.

I just wish I was as clever and knowledgeable as you. Thanks very much for sharing with us.
    Peter B.

mb300e, Aug 1, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Peter. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Aug 1, 2017
  13. Kbird Win User

On my Surface 3 I have the DPI set to 150% scale to make it more legible and on the Monitor I have it set to 125%
    scale for the Same reason.

Did you look at Brink's Tutorial on doing that too?

Change DPI Scaling Level for Displays in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Also I tend to change the default text Size or Zoom Level in Internet Explorer , and Firefox/Chrome etc for Web Browsing which helps too.

Once you get the Creator's Edition (CE) of Win10 , you will Need to use Option 2 here to do this . At least at themoment my Surface 3 still can use Option 1 like you but my Desktop cannot , as that option was removed in C.E.

Kbird, Aug 1, 2017
  14. mb300e Win User
    I just discovered that it also changed the text in File Explorer to slightly larger and BOLD. Hurrah now I can see what I am doing. *Smile

Thanks again Brink.

Peter B. in a wet and rainy part of Florida. *Sad

mb300e, Aug 1, 2017
  15. Kbird Win User
    Yes the Icon Text size and Style Controls that , and like you I like it larger in Explorer too.

Kbird, Aug 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Icons Text Size in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Icons Text

2. Change Default Text Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Default Text Size in Windows 10: When setting up Windows 10, there is a part where you select the default font size. I made a mistake and set it to "11" rather than the standard "12". I would like to change that setting but am unable to find out where to do that....
  3. Is there a way to set the size of icons and text in Windows 10

Is there a way to set the size of icons and text in Windows 10: Hi forum, I have a new desktop with Windows 10 installed. My old desktop was on Windows 7, then upgraded to Windows 10 and things on the screen looked the same. This new desktop has Windows 10, but everything is smaller and hard to read. My old desktop had the icons and...
  4. How to Change Text Size in Windows 10

How to Change Text Size in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] source: https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/change-text-size-in-windows-10.17663/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-text-size-in-windows-10/aaee319a-0def-45a3-954d-b048781027d0
  5. How to Change Text Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Change Text Size in Windows 10: https://i.postimg.cc/GhsWcXDC/1.jpg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-text-size-in-windows-10/aaee319a-0def-45a3-954d-b048781027d0"
  6. How to change the size of text in Windows. Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to change the size of text in Windows. Windows 10: I'm trying to change the size of text in Windows. Both Bing and my settings took me to the link below. This is a Microsoft article last updated just over two months ago and it refers to using a slider bar. Neither this HP laptop nor my new Lenovo laptop show a slider bar and...
  7. Icon Text size Win 10

Icon Text size Win 10: How can I increase the size of ICON text on desktop screen. Control and mouse wheel increase icon but not text. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-text-size-win-10/6f381cc2-e5e2-4889-b763-5543c16dafb3
  8. Change Text Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Text Size in Windows 10: How to: Change Text Size in Windows 10 How to Change Text Size in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 17692, the ability to increase text size across the system is back and better than ever. You can use a new setting called Make everything bigger with a slider...
  9. Change Menus Text Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Menus Text Size in Windows 10: How to: Change Menus Text Size in Windows 10 How to Change Text Size for Menus in Windows 10 You can make the text for menus on your screen easier to see by making them larger while keeping your display set to its recommended DPI. This will affect the following...
  10. Change Tooltips Text Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Tooltips Text Size in Windows 10: How to: Change Tooltips Text Size in Windows 10 How to Change Text Size for Tooltips in Windows 10 A tooltip is a small pop-up that displays the label of an unlabeled control or glyph in Windows. This tutorial will show you how to change the font size of text for...