Windows 10: Change laptop Windows 10 installation to a Windows 11 VM in absence of TPM 2.0 motherboard chip

Discus and support Change laptop Windows 10 installation to a Windows 11 VM in absence of TPM 2.0 motherboard chip in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My physical laptop has Windows 10 Pro digital license RETAIL with UEFI boot, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD, I will not be able to upgrade it to Windows 11... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Happy Me Now, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Change laptop Windows 10 installation to a Windows 11 VM in absence of TPM 2.0 motherboard chip

My physical laptop has Windows 10 Pro digital license RETAIL with UEFI boot, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD, I will not be able to upgrade it to Windows 11 because it lacks a physical TPM 2.0 chip. So I wonder if I could convert it to be a Hyper-V VM using the Disk2vhd tool and then upgrade that VM from Windows 10 Pro to 11 Pro because one can enable TPM in the VM settings for a generation 2 machine. But what happens with licensing? I would be running my upgraded Windows 11 Pro VM on the Windows 10 Pro physical laptop of the same digital license. This would presumably create a licensing conflict

:)

Happy Me Now, Sep 2, 2021

2. Bitlocker on my newer model laptop with TPM chip

I am sorry but the link that you provided was of no use. My bitlocker is apparently working as it should on this Samsung S9 laptop which has a TPM chip, but no TPM module. I took it to a computer shop to discover that the module is missing. We also turned
    off bitlocker and the laptop decrypted in about 20 minutes. That is fast considering that there is 80GB+ data on its SSD hard drive.

I am no happy that my laptop boots up directly to the Windows password screen. I need it to boot up the the bitlocker password screen first.

Do I possibly need to change the settings on my TPM chip equipped (but not TPM module equipped) laptop as I did on my desktop PCs that do not have TPM chips? On those I changed the settings to authenticate without TPM.

Please help me figure out how to make my laptop boot to the bitlocker password screen before proceeding to the Windows password screen.

RichardKing LUTCF CLU ChFC, Sep 2, 2021
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Need help on whether to clear TPM on not

It's clear as mud. As far as I can tell, it's specific to Windows, not necessarily activated programs like MacAfee, games, etc etc etc. MS Office, I have no idea.

Here's a lengthy doc on it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...initialize-and-configure-ownership-of-the-tpm

Sasqui, Sep 2, 2021
  4. Frick Win User

Change laptop Windows 10 installation to a Windows 11 VM in absence of TPM 2.0 motherboard chip

Windows 10 devices now requires hardware encryption/TPM

Stolen from Sweclockers, but it's in swedish.

So from now on devices (OEM built) needs a TPM module. Relevant bit:

Pretty interesting, but there's tons of questions I guess. I don't actually now anything about how TPM works, just that it's hardware, meaning the key is stored in a physical chip and that the decryption has to run through this chip. But I have no idea how let's say biometrics is tied to this. Or what the implications will be, or what exactly is encrypted. The entire storage or just the log in details as such?

Frick, Sep 2, 2021
Thema:

Change laptop Windows 10 installation to a Windows 11 VM in absence of TPM 2.0 motherboard chip

1. Change laptop Windows 10 installation to a Windows 11 VM in absence of TPM 2.0 motherboard chip - Similar Threads - Change laptop installation

2. Windows behaving weirdly and TPM chip malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows behaving weirdly and TPM chip malfunctioning: Hi all,This afternoon when I turned on my computer and logged on, I opened my start menu and only Windows UWP apps showed up in the start menu the pre-installed apps on windows. Also, all my app tiles were gone and the start menu was really thin. Then, all of a sudden, all my...
  3. Windows behaving weirdly and TPM chip malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows behaving weirdly and TPM chip malfunctioning: Hi all,This afternoon when I turned on my computer and logged on, I opened my start menu and only Windows UWP apps showed up in the start menu the pre-installed apps on windows. Also, all my app tiles were gone and the start menu was really thin. Then, all of a sudden, all my...
  4. Windows behaving weirdly and TPM chip malfunctioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 11 TPM chip error after password change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 TPM chip error after password change: So, its been pretty well documented about how Windows likes to throw a TPM chip error after a Windows password change. It looks like this happened in Win 10 and 11. The solution, as many have said, is to delete the Work or School account from the computer, then open up an...
  6. Windows 11 TPM chip error after password change

Windows 11 TPM chip error after password change: So, its been pretty well documented about how Windows likes to throw a TPM chip error after a Windows password change. It looks like this happened in Win 10 and 11. The solution, as many have said, is to delete the Work or School account from the computer, then open up an...
  7. Windows 11 installation as a VM.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 installation as a VM.: I'm installing Windows 11 as a VM. It is prompting me for a product key. This is a brand new installation and not an upgrade. Where do I get the key from? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-installation-as-a-vm/55d340ea-0a2f-48e1-ba3e-2a7f581f754a
  8. Windows 11 installation as a VM.

Windows 11 installation as a VM.: I'm installing Windows 11 as a VM. It is prompting me for a product key. This is a brand new installation and not an upgrade. Where do I get the key from? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-installation-as-a-vm/55d340ea-0a2f-48e1-ba3e-2a7f581f754a
  9. what if a tpm chip fails?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    what if a tpm chip fails?: all i want to know, is if you lose any data, if you do not encrypt your drive and tpm fails.from what i understand, you wont be able to login, but the data is recoverable, right?also, is it possible, that it will prevent me from entering the bios?and how likely/unlikely is a...
  10. Windows 11 TPM 2 Supports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 11 TPM 2 Supports: Hello it's support tpm 2.0 on h81m-dgs on your motherboard ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-tpm-2-supports/29b64571-8963-4a2c-a5dd-410278808670